Steamed - Organic Vegetarian Cuisine

Contact 562-437-1122

801 E 3rd St (at Alamitos), Long Beach, California, USA, 90802

Vegetarian restaurant in the heart of downtown Long Beach. Can make anything on the menu vegan. Offers both take out and backyard cafe-style patio. Uses organic produce from local farmers. Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Western

First Review by TB

It's ALL ORGANIC!!!!!! YAY! - Edit

AND it's delicious. YOU will love this place if you are vegan, vegetarian or not. Very cute and unassuming little restaurant, yet the energized team at Steamed is riding high with integrity on the wave of good clean organic wholesome food. It is a refreshing experience to be able to eat out with confidence that the ingredients are not only fresh but organic. Thank you, Steamed!

Pros: Organic fresh local, nice people/atmosphere, reasonable/ generous plates

Decent food...when they actually have it! - Edit

I like to give new places a few tries before I consider writing a review, just to make sure they have a chance to work out the kinks like any new business. That said, I've had both decent and bad experiences here. Never great.

Unfortunately Steamed have really gone downhill since they opened. Too often they are out of stock of items fundamental to their menu, like tortillas. Just this last week I went, put in an order, paid for the order, and then they reported they didn't have tortillas with which to build my burrito and asked me if I wanted it in a bowl. So, decidedly, not a burrito. At that point I elected to cancel the order. They refused to credit my card, insisted on a cash return, and gave me guff over returning an even dollar amount but for a one-penny difference in the bill. "Sorry, we can't do that" was the trope. Not so good.

On a previous visit the attendant reported they were out of stock of all of the basic staples on their menu. I asked them why they were even open. Hard to believe, but it's true. These are not the only two experiences I've had at Steamed with this type of issue.

Word to the wise - look out for the way they charge your credit card, because unless they inform you how to use their system (i.e., that you don't actually have to tip via the card), you're on the hook for a minimum of 10%.

With regard to the food, it's not bad. It's whole and freshly prepared and that's nice...when they have it. Not that I'm into paying $15 for a burrito all told, but hey it's L.A. What else would you expect.

At this point I've given up on the restaurant. It's not worth heading over there to possibly not eat, or to have a hassle.

Cons: Relatively expensive, Poor management/leadership, Frequently out of stock of menu items

True to their word - Edit

Steamed serves fresh organic meals that have a peaceful effect. Their food seems to be a cross between raw and cooked foods. Don't expect fully cooked oily thai food when you order their thai bowl. Everything is delicious for pure food lovers. The menu and offerings are creative. Although clean, the furnishing and ambiance leave much to be desired for an enjoyable experience for those customers who don't appreciate sitting on and using recycled furnishings. Same food served in ambiance with a better decor will provide more satisfaction to larger audience. You place an order at the counter and food is served to your table.

Pros: Quality of food, indoor and outdoor seating

Cons: Ambiance and decor

Healthy takes on Mexican staples, eco-friendly - Edit

Steamed gets high marks for healthy and green practices.

Their menu offers fresh takes on Mexican/Mexicali staples (burritos, tacos, etc.), not old-school "authentic" (read: less healthy) Mexican food. So, those looking for the latter might be either disappointed or pleasantly surprised, depending on their tastes. (Tip: don't neglect the salsas, which have rich flavor.)

It isn't all vegan, but the menu states that everything can be made vegan.

I applaud them for using compostable take-out containers and utensils.

They also deliver locally.

Pros: organic, local produce, healthy takes on Mexican staples, eco-friendly

Fresh Mexican style Veggie Food - Edit

I really like this place for several reasons, the 3 main are: Mexican style food (I simply love Mexican food!), is fully Vegetarian but they can make anything Vegan, and the freshness of the food.
They recently enhanced the menu adding new options, including the delicios Appetizer Trio (you wont regret it!) and salads and bowls plus all their already existing "Gourmet Quesadillas"
They also have daily menus and offers, follow them on facebook for their daily specials. It can get a bit pricey but all in all I think is not far from reasonable.

Pros: Fresh, Good Vibe, Flexible for Vegans

Cons: A bit pricey

Nice little restaurant! - Edit

We are on vacation in Long Beach and when I googled for a veggie restaurant I found this one. Last night we went here and we really liked it. All furniture is from local thrift stores and you get your drinks from reusable glass jars. The drink I had is called rainbow juice and it is fresh pressed local organic juice that comes in different flavors. I ordered a vegan Quinoa Quesadilla for dinner. It tasted good. (although I must admit that I like my own home made guacamole better!) All in all a very nice cozy restaurant with healthy organic steamed food.(all meals can be made vegan)

Pros: Fresh organic local food, All meals can be made vegan, Nice cozy atmosphere

Friendly, Delicious, And Comfortable - Edit

We had a great lunch at Steamed. Our first visit, the staff was friendly, the selections were varied and the full menu, if not vegan already, would be modified to be so. Comfortable inside and outdoor seating.

Pros: Food Quality, Selections, Friendly

Feels Like Home - Edit

Visiting from out of town, I was glad to see this cafe recommended by Happy Cow. The staff was outstanding and the food delicious ( I had the Fatty Taco). The two ladies working there made me feel most welcomed and had me test-taste a butternut squash soup. When I told them I needed a vegan option for breakfast the next day, they told me to drop by and they would fix something up, even though it would be before opening hours. Can't wait till I get back to Long Beach and try some of there other dishes.

Pros: Great and friendly staff, Relatively inexpensive

Nice and simple - Edit

I was hesitant to try this place because I heard it was great for vegetarians but not-so-great for vegans. I recently stopped in for a quick bite to eat and was very pleased with the interior/atmosphere - so cute! Small and quaint, fairly quiet with friendly customers. Then I looked up and saw the redhead girl behind the counter standing and staring at me with a face that said "another customer?". I instantly felt that sinking stomach, "here we go" feeling. I grabbed a menu and tried to figure out what I wanted. I then looked at the menu displayed on the counter and inaudibly mouthed to myself certain things on the menu. The guy behind the counter must have thought I was trying to get his attention or something (the menu was right in front of him, he should be used to it) because he said, rather drying, "uhh... do you need something?" and then glanced over at the redhead who had a rather smug look on her face. What I need is to look at the menu in peace without feeling like I'm being judged by the too cool for school staff. I then figured out what I wanted and gave my order (no small talk, no friendly attitude) to the girl. Great, done. I felt like, Time to go sit down so the staff can talk about me! When the food arrived (fairly quickly) it was very good, very fresh. Yes, it is "pricy" but you're paying for local and organic food. People have compared the menu to Chipotle, which is silly because the food here is much more fresh and tasty and is not a mass chain that serves meat. And again, it's 100% organic. After I finished my meal, the owner (a VERY nice blond girl) brought me an orange slice and asked how the food was. She was the opposite of her staff, VERY nice and friendly, with a permanent smile plastered on her face. I loved it! Finally, someone nice besides the customers! I told her I liked the place (without mentioning how her staff needed an attitude adjustment), she pointed out the house-made vegan desserts (they're pretty good!), and I went on my merry way. Well, kind of merry. 5 stars for the owner, 4.5 stars for the atmosphere, 4.5 stars for the food, 4 stars for the location, 2.5 stars for the other staff members. Overall, 4 HappyCows. I might wait a few months before I come back to see if the unfriendly girl and guy left. And in response to the post below, Steamed has had vegan cheese for almost two months now, or at least that's what I was told, and that's also what the website says...

Pros: Good, 100% organic food, Easily accessible location, Great atmosphere

Cons: Staff is rude, Street parking only

Nice place - Edit

Very cute place, super nice staff. Liked what they are trying to do but not a lot of options for vegans. Most of the menu is quesadilla so not having a vegan cheese makes it as issue. They will make it w/o cheese but it doesn't gel and the fillings fall out. They said until they can come up with a good vegan organic cheese option, they won't offer it. They are trying to make their own. I respect that. They tofu bowl is good but a bit overpriced. I liked they had "essence" water with herbs and fruit. Skip the vegan ice cream. Their neighbor makes it. It's icey and expensive. $6.99 for a cup. The flavors are interesting, but she has to figure out the texture. I would go back, especially if they start offering vegan cheese.

Pros: Cute staff, Charming atmosphere, Noble philosophy

Cons: No vegan cheese

long overdue! - Edit

Well it's about time someone took the initiative to open a top-notch vegetarian restaurant in Long Beach! Sure the food is incredible and very high quality, the portions are big, and the restaurant possesses an incredible charm.. but it's the attention to detail and positivity/care of the staff that will keep me coming back (in addition to the delicious food, of course). The owner (who's name I never got!) was unbelievably kind, warm, and welcoming. She has fantastic taste in the decor of the restaurant and has made a small, inconspicuous space into a bright and flourishing destination.

It's the small things like complimentary naturally flavored water (such as strawberry or lemon/basil) or bringing my buddy & I some chips and guac on the house that set Steamed apart from the rest. And I don't mean the rest of the vegetarian restaurants in the area... I mean the rest, in general. She GETS IT. Although I don't live in Long Beach I will surely come back here each and every time I'm in town.

I had the steamed tofu plate which was gigantic and absolutely filled me up. Everything was cooked well and had fantastic taste. All organic and local too! YES! My buddy had the dang quesadilla which was huge and he devoured. The flavors were lovely. Can't wait for an expanded menu.. it's only a matter of time, I'd imagine. This is sure to become one of the most sought out restaurants in Long Beach much sooner than later.

Well done, Steamed.

Pros: amazing food, amazing people, charming!

yummy - Edit

the menu is spartan. they have no vegan cheese. i had the kitchen sink burrito. aside from haveing too much rice in it, it was AWESOME. I would go again, but I'd have to get the same thing in order to avaid the cheese :

Pros: fast, yummy, ambiance

Cons: desert sells out quick, variety, no vegan cheese

Healthy, Delicious, Sweet Staff, Cute Restaurant! - Edit

Steamed is one of those places that is somehow so much more than the sum of its parts... I had heard great things about them from all my friends, but when I saw their menu online, I was kind of disappointed that it "only" consisted of what I think of as typical SoCal fare: salads, burritos, and quesadillas. Well, I was totally wrong to be disappointed - never underestimate the power of fresh, organic, local ingredients and a rad staff. I ordered the vegan burrito with their homemade vegan pesto and hot salsa, and it was straight up wonderful - so surprisingly flavorful, and I loved all the different options you have to choose from - 3 different kinds of tortillas, 2 kinds of beans, 2 kinds of rice, 3 kinds of salsa, etc. The restaurant is really cute, too - it has a laid back, cafe feel to it and a sweet little outdoor patio/garden area. I can't wait to go back and try one of their salads, because the lettuce I saw looked so fresh and beautiful. Oh, and the staff was so helpful and sweet, and they all just seemed like they were having a great time working there. There were some vegan desserts that looked interesting, too - ice cream, peanut butter bon-bons, etc. I will definitely be going back soon!

Pros: Good vibe, Organic, Local, Delicious

Return to Long Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Steamed - Organic Vegetarian Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6410 times since Jul 2011.