First Review by SynthVegan

Pecan Pie - Edit

Had their pecan pie at Vegan Vortex spring market while visiting Chicago. Excellent - fresh pecans, creamy filling, without being gummy or too sweet, & good flaky crust. Everything else sold out before I got there.

Pros: 100% vegan, Tasty, Friendly people

Cons: Only doing pop- ups, markets.

Fun & Portable! - Edit

The day I caught up with the vegan food truck is was a rickshaw bicycle...even cooler than a truck in my opinion. It was a stealth rendezvous because there was nothing about the rickshaw identifying it or the rider as being from Soul Veg Express. I noticed the rider was wearing a petfinder.com t-shirt, so that grabbed my attention. Then I saw the rickshaw's bumper sticker which said "Go Vegan" and I knew I was in the right place.

VEGAN FOOD TRUCK!!! Has truck, will travel!!! - Edit

The vegan food truck is definitely a GREAT addition to the Chicago area. Currently it runs Tuesday through Saturday - generally they offer lunch during the week and offer dinner on the weekend. The best way to find when and where they are serving food is by looking at the schedule (http://stemartaen.com/food-truck/schedule/) and to follow them on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/SteMartaen) - they send updates via Facebook during their route. You can also text message them and request they come to you - their motto is "Have Truck, Will Travel (312) 857-4393".

Now for the food - the vegan food truck is a collaborative effort between Soul Vegetarian (a local vegan restaurant) and Ste. Martaen (a local vegan cheese company). Soul Veg is like vegan junk food (not entirely healthy), but its good food for the soul! That combined with Ste. Martaen's tasty nut cheeses makes for some tasty vegan meals! With that being said, I was instantly interested in trying the Chicago Cheese Steak. I give the sandwich a 3.5-4, it was really tasty and I really enjoyed most of the ingredients (seitan and cheese) although I wasn't entirely fond of the bread. This seems to be a popular item, as I've seen others talk about it on their Facebook and in other reviews. I will likely try something else next time, though I would get the cheese steak again.

If you haven't tried the food truck yet, I encourage you to do so! It's definitely good and it's pretty great that they're mobile and can come to you!

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ste Martaen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2172 times since Nov 2010.