Starry Lane Bakery

• Bakery Bakery
  • Vegan
619-328-0500

3925 4th Ave., San Diego, California, USA, 92103

An all-vegan bakery that is also gluten free, soy free, tree nut free and peanut free. Take out only. Does custom ordering and wholesale; please inquire. Relocated 2017 from Santee. Open Tue-Fri 9:00am-6:30pm, Sat 9:00am-3:30pm. Closed Sun-Mon.

First Review by mutant_pie

Avoid the Cupcakes - Edit

This review is only based on the cupcakes. I purchased the Campfire, Mint, and Devil's Food. The staff said the Devil's Food was like a souffle consistency, which sold me. Unfortunately, it was just gummy. I tossed it. They are also very heavy handed with the shortening in their buttercream frosting, which I find has an unpleasant mouthfeel. The Mint and Campfire were not as gummy, and I enjoyed the flavor of the Mint, but again they were nothing to write home about and that frosting was hard to get over.

My roommate tried a few cookies and the mini pie and said they were decent, but she threw her cupcakes out as well (the Mocha and Carrot - both were extremely dry). The brownies looked good...but so did the cupcakes.

The staff was friendly and the prices were fair. If you do have a gluten allergy and this is your only nearby option, its great these guys provide that for you. Otherwise, I have had much better vegan baked goods.

Pros: Gluten-Free/Allergy Options, Decently Priced

Cons: Cupcakes are not good, You can tell its gluten-free

Yummy Goodness! - Edit

Who would have thought there would be an all-vegan bakery in a little town like Santee in East San Diego County? I am visiting family in the area and decided to give it a try and I was very happy I did. I got chocolate chip cookies for the family and for myself a chocolate cupcake with buttercream frosting and an oatmeal triple chocolate chunk cookie. All of them were fabulous; my favorite being the oatmeal cookie!! I could live on these and almond milk!! haha! You've got to try this small bakery. It is not a fancy place at all, just the bare minimum four walls and a ceiling, but the baked goods are superbly super!!

Pros: Excellent Taste, Reasonable Prices, Friendly service

Very Decent. Absolutely Worth a Try - Edit

I went here for the first time today. The presentation on all the baked goods in the case is very good. They look super tempting. At first I thought the prices were a little on the high side, but it is a specialty bakery, and when compared to a Starbucks or another coffee shop, they are right in line with the standard costs. Flavor, texture, and smell of the goods are the ultimate tests, and it was a mixed bag there. I had the Lemon Poppyseed Muffin, the Lemon Bar, and a Cinnamon Swirl(?) cookie. The cookie was pretty, but not cinnamony enough, was the type extruded and spun to make a star swirl (actually two-in-one) soft, but not great. It had an icing. The Lemon Bar was a clear lemon pudding on plain baked dough base. This is not my favorite style of lemon bar, and I'm not sure how to rate it. It was okay. The Lemon Poppyseed muffin was the best of the three. Fully baked and risen, yet moist and flavorful on the inside with a light drizzle of icing on top. Spongy good texture made this one a winner, and now I want to try their blueberry muffin.

The Place is a little hard to find, from the 67 freeway, as you can only take the Woodson exit when traveling southbound on the freeway. I think if you live in the area, have a gluten intolerance, and/or want to seek out a new vegan option, it is definitely worth a look and a taste. They also have a limited offering of bread.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 17, 2014

Pros: The MUFFINS!!!, All vegan., Gluten & tree nut free

Cons: In the N/E end of El Cajon, A little hard to navigate to from freewa, Some items small for $, light on spice

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Starry Lane Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.