Standard Sweets and Snacks

562-809-5009

18600 Pioneer Blvd (at Little India), Artesia, California, USA, 90701

A vegetarian Indian restaurant (since 1985) that has an extensive menu featuring Gujarati style (West Indian), Punjabi style (North Indian), and South Indian food. Also sells Indian sweets and snacks (farsans or namkeens). Spacious interior with bright colors, TVs and Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-8:30pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-8:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by chobesoy

Going Vegan - Edit

I was so happy to find that Standard Sweets And Snacks has a new type written menu that has a small v next to the vegan dishes. What a simple solution for vegans. Now any vegan can order from about half of their dishes and experience the pleasing bouquet of Indian spices and herbs in their meal. As a Jain owned restaurant it is about time for the Jain community to lead the way towards vegan realism. After all, it is the true diet of Ahimsa.

After your meal, buy at least a half pound of the fruit and nut vegan pizza candy they sell. It is the best.

Pros: Location and view from window, Price, Vegan option menu

Cons: The dahl is a bit sweet

great food - Edit

Nice place with great Indian snacks

Pros: clean, price right

Cons: none

Local joint atmosphere, lots of very sweet sweets - Edit

The folks here were friendly and I enjoy visiting places that seem like a hangout for locals. Not too big, a corner joint with some cafeteria type seating. This is a place to just get a good authentic bite or some sweets after your meal elsewhere, since it's the surrounding businesses that are more for sit-down meals and buffets.

Disclaimer: I love Indian food but haven't found a love for its desserts. Being a dessert fiend I don't know how this happened, and I've been on a personal food quest to resolve this. I've come to this location a few times, usually getting a little box of items I haven't tried before and nibbling my way through. The staff are kind enough to patiently get my "one piece of this, one of those..." orders and have also given me samples when I'd deliberate. Unfortunately my conclusion is that I just don't like having spices like cardamom in my sweets. I've also come to the shocking realization that there is such thing as "too sweet." Really, this is the level where you scrunch up as if you just ate a lemon, but instead go wow that's insanely sweet! For those familiar with gulab jamun, which I actually like, but in small doses, that seems to be a baseline level of sweet that some desserts merely start from. When I eat a gulab jamun just to eat something "less sweet," we're talking crazy levels.
So, if you do like fragrant, exotically herbal, and super sweet desserts then you'd fare here better than I have. I don't want to take a personal preference out on a location that otherwise seemed fine and nice.
Note: the place is not vegan, most desserts contain milk. But the place overall is veggie-friendly (by nature of being Indian) so if you're already a fan of Indian snacks and sweets, grab a seat and hang out for a while.

Pros: quick , friendly, casual

Return to Artesia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Standard Sweets and Snacks closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.