St George's Market

• Farmers-market Farmer's Market
028-90320202

May St (at Oxford St), Belfast, Northern Ireland

Large indoor market with a food court featuring many vendors including ones selling vegetarian prepared foods. Hosts events. Open Fri 6:00am-2:00pm, Sat 9:00am-3:00pm, Sun 10:00am-4:00pm.

First Review by Goody Goody Gumdrop

Are they playing "galway girl" again? - Edit

Diddle I diddle I yuuuh?
St Georges has a couple of vegetarian food offerings that tend to be scattered in the middle. Some food concessions have no veggie option, be warned. Its unlikely the paella places do, for example. I know Belfalafel, McFinns and the pandit hindu curry guy are all safe. You can get a falafel wrap, a few stews or quorn hotdog and range of curries and gulab jamon respectively. A stall offers juice as well.

Local food producers will sell you tea, coffee, juice syrups, vegetables, fruit, vegan cakes and treats (stall called "check out my buns") and others.

So long as you can pay cash (no cards), don't mind standing to eat (no seats) and can deal with at times huge crowds, as well as a pretty heavy fish smell in places, you'll enjoy poking through the souvenir stalls and local produce.

Parking hard around here, weather permitting cycle or bike in.

Band plays in centre, usually blasting it out too.

Updated from previous review on 2017-05-09

Pros: Range of foods, An experience , Cheaper

Cons: Fish smell , Thronged with crowds , No seats!! Few and quickly occupied

Tourist attraction - Edit

Stalls inside sell a bit of everything. There's fruit and veg, fudge, soft drinks and so on, from local companies and small food producers. There are also hot food stalls... oh and occasionally traditional or other musicians around - because that's what Belfast is really like... ;-)
For veggies / vegans I recommend BelFalafel (falafel obviously) and a few others about.
Be warned though there are a lot of really stinky fish stalls, right at the way in, and this smell permeates everything there!

Pros: A little bit of everything

Cons: Fish smell!

Eclectic market - Edit

Everything you could ever want under one roof - food, clothing, jewellery, art, crafts etc - this market has really become very strong over the last few years. An interesting and delightful day can be spent walking around St George's Market. Eclectic, exciting and a better market than you'll get anywhere else in Northern Ireland with great range of vegetarian food and stalls.

Several Vegetarian AND Vegan options! - Edit

Not only were there several vegan plates to chose from among the various stands (I went with a freshly made falafel wrap), there were tons of vegan baked goods as well! Including power energy balls, etc. I went on a Sunday which is when I believe most of these stands are up, but I heard on Fridays and Saturdays they have tons of farmer markets up selling fresh local produce! They had one on Sunday too, so if you're looking for the whole thing... food stands, produce stands (i even ordered kombucha to pick up next week!), shopping stands (lots of knick knacks and art), and live music - I can definitely recommend Sunday! I haven't been on the other days yet but from what I was told everyday has a sort of theme... I was told friday was more for necessity stuff and more working class went, and it gets more expensive on saturdays/sundays with more speciality stuff... but i can only vouch for Sunday and it was awesome! Definitely going back

Pros: Good variety, Enjoyable vibe , All in one!

Cons: Minimal seating (Crowded when i went)

A great surprise! - Edit

It took me a while to find the vegan options amongst the many food stalls, but it was definitely worth looking! I ended up finding a green smoothie,a vegan curry and a vegan banana cake! There are a couple of completely vegetarian stalls and the cake stall that I went to was gluten free and mostly vegan. Also great live music and atmosphere.

Pros: good food and value for money, quite a wide variety, great atmosphere

Cons: lots of non-veg stalls to wade through!, quality and presence of stalls may vary

There are vegan options - Edit

I believe both of these are only there on the Sunday market.

Fin McVeg has vegetarian, pescatarian & vegan food. I had the vegan dal over rice. It was ok - not much seasoning to it...but after a week of very few options, I was happy to find it.

Check Out My Buns Bakery has vegan baked goods (and some gluten free options as well). I got a slice of chocolate cake that was amazing. I wish I had picked up more for the rest of the trip

Return to Belfast Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has St George's Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.