CLOSED: St. Dames

Contact 206-725-8879

4525 Martin Luther King Jr Way S (at Columbia City neighborhood), Seattle, Washington, USA, 98108

Whole food restaurant with a saintly theme and with spiritual iconography throughout. Has Wi-Fi. COW MEMBER REPORTED SHUT AT END OF OCT 2014. Open .

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by snyre

Delicious every time! - Edit

St Dames seems to have it all; great food (papas tapas are to die for)with vegan and gluten-free options as well as exceptional service. All in a unique and inviting atmosphere.

We've had several items off their regular menu, which they update periodically depending on the seasonal foods that are available. The quesadilla is delicious, filled with grilled vegetables and their own special vegan cheese (upon request). The Portobello cheese steak sandwich is delightful and very satisfying and if you're a cheese steak fan, not to be missed! And don't forget to ask about their specials -- their grilled corncakes are a particular favorite and we hope they end up on the main menu.

Their brunch is also wonderful, the biscuits and gravy as well as the Breakfast Burrito (vegan for us) are particular favorites. And the tamari-braised kale is simply divine!

I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for dining options that are an extra special treat as well as a unique, inviting and very pleasing atmosphere. The fact that they cater to vegans and gluten-free diners is a bonus.

Pros: Vegan , excellent service, gluten-free options

Cons: Not open for lunch

What an absolutely phenomenal meal! - Edit

We started with crispy papas tapa with delicious red pepper tomato dipping sauce. For entrees we had kale ravioli with roasted yams and stuffed squash halves with roasted cauliflower. Each were incredibly tasty and filling without being heavy.

The staff and owners are lovely and very conscious about vegan and gluten-free options.
They also strive to be "as green as possible and source local ingredients, organic when possible."

As a bonus they serve great craft cocktails- i had the Lady Flyer which is a variation of the prohibition drink the Aviation.

The decor is fun as well.

Pros: amazing food, large portions, craft cocktails

Cons: limited tables

Wonderful! - Edit

When we discovered a vegetarian restuarant in South Seattle, we were thrilled! After dining at St. Dame's, we were ecstatic! The food was so amazing and priced just right. The atmosphere was wonderful, too.
After dinner, we discovered that they also served brunch. So, we came back the following morning, this time with the kids and our parents. Everyone loved it.
As it so happens, we had the same server, who was just lovely. So, we all started talking and it turned out that she was not only a dedicated server, she was an owner. We told her how much we had enjoyed a particular item (a cardamom cake) and so she provided us with the recipe!
St. Dames is a terrific place and we look forward to returning again and again!

Pros: Service, Food, Price

I got a new favorite spot - Edit

I had never been to that area of Seattle before and I loved it. The cafe is small but the food is amazing. They serve real food made from scratch. I saw no evidence of cheap or processed ingredients. It was not expensive at all for the portion and nutrition. We were there for brunch and ate a ton of food, all of it was excellent. We plan to go back (often) for dinner.

They were playing James Brown, Sly Stone, and funky stuff. Though there are some candles and iconography, I asked the owner/server straight out if they were at all religious and she said not at all. Don't let that stop you, it is fun and the food rocks.

Caffe Vitta coffee is really good too. I will grab a brunch menu next time to recount all the wonderful things I ate there. The list was long and I want to get all the names right to do it justice, but it was all amazing.

Top ten for me.

Pros: service/kindness, excellent food, good cost

Cons: I didn't go sooner

Creative vegan/vegetarian food, nice atmosphere - Edit

The description indicates that this place is quasi-religious, which does it bit a disservice. The religious iconography is really more tongue-in-cheek decor. The food, however, is creative and amazing: vegan mac 'n cheese won me over, and the fried mushrooms and portobello cheese stake (get it? Stake? Religious iconography?) won my husband over. Most everything can be made either vegetarian or vegan. Lovely cocktails and interesting beer selection as well. Atmosphere is a little between bar and nice restaurant, and the staff couldn't have been nicer to us. Not located in what you'd call a hoppin' neighborhood but easily accessible by light rail.

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: St. Dames closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2314 times since Dec 2010.