Vegan-friendly
Take-out
Catering
Breakfast
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. Trendy cafe offering breakfast and brunch. Vegan options include tofu scramble, fruit bowl, toast, home fries, sauteed fingerlings, french fries, soy sausage, chips & salsa, vegetable wrap (vegans to omit feta), in-house-made veggie burger, soy milk. Often has weekly vegetarian/vegan special such as a veg sloppy joe with seitan/TVP. Vegetarian items are marked with a little green leaf and can be veganized. Local artwork for sale is displayed. Expect a long wait on weekends. Relocated from 1137 S Braddock Ave. Open Mon-Sat 7:00am-3:00pm, Sun 8:00am-3:00pm.

Venue map for Square Cafe
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by j00licious

EvaliseDexter

Points +155

04 Nov 2023

Amazing breakfast!!

They had 3 vegan options for breakfast and lots of cool lattes!! I would definitely recommend the breakfasts sandwich and the pancakes!! Theres a long wait time on weekends so I recommend coming on the earlier side if possible

Pros: Breakfast food, Lots of options

Cons: Long wait time

chood13

Points +368

27 Jul 2023

Very meh

They do have vegan options and for an area that doesn't have tons of vegan options, I guess that's something? We got the vegan breakfast burritos and they were OK, just very greasy so we honestly didn't even finish them. The pancakes also left a lot to be desired. The recovery Smoothie was actually really good; it's the only thing I would consider ordering again.

Alysoun Mahoney

Points +815

30 Apr 2023

Friendly breakfast stop

I stopped in for breakfast while visiting from out of town. Loved the Very Vegan Brussels Sprouts Hash with mushrooms, carmelized onion and plant-based sausage (the Zero Egg was ok; they may do better to return to Just Egg) and the oat milk latte. Staff and space were inviting and friendly, with vegan options prominently highlighted on signs and menus.

Pros: Multiple vegan options prominently highlighted , Friendly staff , Lovely space

gracielaquerida

Points +60

26 Apr 2023

Vegan Brunch options at Omni restaurant

Square Cafe is a great option when you're going out to eat with omnivores. There are clearly labeled options. I think it's a bit on the pricey side for the amount you get. Some of the dishes are super flavored and rely on the vegan substitutions like just egg on their own. Service is good and staff is knowledgeable vegan options. I would say it's a go-to for me because it's easy but not because it's the best vegan food out there. We don't have many brunch options in Pittsburgh.

Pros: clearly labeled, lots of options

Cons: pricey, not tons of unique flavor

KarlieBellante

Points +63

21 Mar 2023

Good food!

This place has clearly labeled vegan options that are delicious! A bit pricey but overall good!

jhaertter20

Points +501

09 Mar 2023

Amazing brunch

This is my favorite brunch place near my university

haleylikesspinach

Points +411

28 Aug 2022

Vegan burrito is so good!

I visited this place about a month ago when I was visiting Pittsburgh. What a gem! Staff was so friendly and they had lots of vegan options. I’m still thinking about the vegan breakfast burrito I had.

ChloeNemchik

Points +237

07 Aug 2022

Best V-Eggs Ever!!

Ordered the Very Vegan Breakfast Burrito and a side of tots. The tots are so crispy and delicious! The burrito came too hot to eat, so I had to let my food sit for a couple minutes. It was still way too hot, which made none of the flavors stand out. I took half home and ate it a couple hours later. Once it was at room temperature, it was so delicious!!!

Dvinevoid

Points +227

29 Jul 2022

good vegan options

they were definitely accommodating to vegans!! but food was not that great!! ambiance kinda made up for it

jccoach

Points +45

23 Apr 2022

Lots of vegan options, great food and environment

Lots of vegan options, clearly labeled, and everything delicious. I had the Italian Breakfast Scramble and my son had the vegan pancakes. Fun, lively place. We sat at the bar for very fast service. Servers were super nice and knowledgeable for vegan needs.

rookievegan

Points +129

18 Apr 2022

Great breakfast!

Vegan “square” breakfast was yummy. Restaurant space and staff were cheerful.

VeganUSA

Points +7180

29 Dec 2021

Well crafted vegan options

In October 2021, Square Cafe moved from their Fricke Park location to this current corner location in the East Liberty city neighborhood.
There were plenty of clearly marked vegan options on the menu. We enjoyed the chickpea beet burger and the vegan burrito. Delicious options; so flavorful. A side salad was also excellent.

Pros: Delicious vegan options , Good service.

Cons: Busy city sector- parking is difficult.

julie9.

Points +270

04 Dec 2021

So many vegan options

This place has so many vegan options that are well labeled and tasty. I loved the vegan breakfast burrito!

BeverlyOrnberg

Points +1176

06 Nov 2021

Great breakfast place

I had the most amazing avocado toast,definitely in my top three favorite of all time, and Daniel had a tofu scramble that he really liked.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Reasonably priced, Attentive staff with regular coffee refills

veggie666

Points +598

26 Mar 2021

Great Vegan Breakfast

I love their vegan breakfast options.
The "eggs" are great.

Pros: nice dining area

StephanieBrendel

Points +137

09 Nov 2020

Lots of great vegan options!!

The Square Cafe has lots of vegan options including burgers, salads, pancakes, scrambles, bowls and more - I got the Vegan Square Breakfast which came with scrambled Just Eggs, crumbled vegan sausage & single vegan pancake - a bit on the pricier side but incredibly delicious

Pros: lots of options

Cons: pricier

ecoRDN

Points +1254

26 Feb 2020

So many options!

Great little diner with a lot of vegan options!

BobTheVegan

Points +33

01 Dec 2019

Great mixed crowd spot

I had to laugh when the tofu scramble came out - I was expecting the scrambled up tumeric colored tofu and it was more like a stir fry with blocked tofu - BUT still really good. For a mixed vegan / non vegan crowd this place is tough to beat.

Pros: Super cool local spot, Awesome proprietary coffee mugs

widepipe

Points +36

11 Nov 2019

Just Egg!

They have a few dishes with Just Egg now. The Italian Vegan Scramble is yummy!

KristenRP

Points +16

03 Sep 2019

Great for Brunch!

One of the best vegan breakfasts that I've had. Their soy chorizo is amazing! They also have delicious smoothies made with plant-based protein powder.

Pros: Amazing quality

Cons: Only a handful of vegan options

McMallory

Points +1503

29 Aug 2019

Just okay

They don’t have the tofu scramble anymore, which was a major bummer, but they do have vegan menu items clearly marked. Several of the vegetarian items can also be made vegan with a small swap (ex: tofu instead of an egg). The food was fine but nothing to go out of your way for, especially considering that the long waits on weekends are the stuff of Pittsburgh lore.

The staff was polite but every single one of them looked like they’d rather be anywhere else, which makes me wonder about how great employees are treated. Service was fast enough but it was basically dropped on the table and the server disappeared immediately after making sure everything was fine.

almond.milk

Points +25

03 Aug 2019

Awesome food & service

Had the grain burger, tasty and food came quick! Definitely recommend to any vegans!

Pros: Great service

Cons: None that I could see

ultra*runner

Points +274

14 Jul 2016

great breakfast!

Found this place & so happy we did! Vegan tofu & asparagus scramble & vegan pancakes were delightful. Fun place. Great service!

Pros: lots of options for everyone!

cwarrick1

Points +1473

26 Jun 2016

Great Breakfast

In town on vacation and wanted to try breakfast out. Cute little neighborhood restaurant that is open until 3. My husband enjoyed the vegan banana pancakes. Topped with cinnamon sugar. I loved the tofu, quinoa , asparagus scramble. Service was great. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Pros: vegan & vegetarian options , good service & pet friendly patio, excellent food

Cons: could be a wait:(, parking

j00licious

Points +36

03 May 2013

Get there early

This place is popular, especially on weekend mornings. When I ate there it was hopping at quarter to 9 on a Sunday morning- I don't want to think about what the after-church rush must be like.
That said- Square Cafe is sure to please the whole family, veggie or omni. They serve some of the best tofu scramble I've ever had (you know how sometimes it's gets little overwhelmed by the nutritional yeast? Not a problem here.) Also, the vegan breakfast tacos are *fabulous*.

Pros: Nice atmosphere/local art work, Great food, Reasonable prices

Cons: Busy, Long lines