SproutWorks - XinTianDi

Contact 021-63390586

185 Madang Rd, Shanghai, China, 10000

Serves meat, vegan options available. Health food cafe and educational retail space with multiple locations; this one opened June 2014 at 马当路185号. Offers a salad bar, soups, panini sandwiches, lunch combinations. Beverages include juices, flavored iced teas, and lemonades. Uses eco-friendly plates and cutlery. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Salad bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Tianci

bomb dot com- better than lots of veg restaurants - Edit

The food here is super fresh and heavy on vegetables-- BIG portions. Everything vegan is labeled with a leaf, so be sure to check the sides/soups etc. because they do put small bits of meat in some of the dishes. They have vegan dessert here too (chia berry pudding and granola). Really suitable for vegans to omnivores alike. Speak excellent English.

Better atmosphere than the Superbrand Mall location.

Pros: good atmosphere, vegan labeled , vegan dessert

Cons: serves meat

Nice veg-friendly place, unfortunately serve meat - Edit

Sproutworks really do have an amazing salad bar, and they do have a lot of vegan options.

A few points to consider, however:

1) It is a self-service place, so you should know what you want. There is no waiter to help you. I was lucky and another guest explained to me how to proceed.

2) The salads are marked with icons, but it is not immediately clearly visible what is vegan (the soups have "v" logos, but not the salads). So you need to figure out what the little logos mean. There's one for fish (avoid that one), some salads have "parmesan cheese" mentioned in the ingredients, so those also you should not select, but some of the have other strange icons (e.g. some beans for "contains soy" or similar). I asked the serving crew for every single salad whether it was vegan ("Zhen su") to be on the safe side.

If you keep that in mind, it should be fine. I went for the 4 salads + soup combo (set lunch, RMB 65) which was very filling. The salads were very nice, especially the kale salad. Only the soybean salad was a bit bland. They also have very nice fruit juices (RMB 25).

So why only 4 stars if this place is so awesome?
Simple. While I was enjoying my salad, some other guy sat down next to me and started to devour a horribly stinking chicken carcass. I had trouble to keep my lunch down.

As I was closer to underground line 1 (red line) and wanted to avoid having to switch, I used that one and went to South Huangpi Road station, then walked down Madang road (south direction) for about 10 minutes. Very easy.

Pros: Nice salads, Prices ok, Vegan items can be identified

Cons: Serves meat

A must visit - Edit

Great place if you're looking for a soild vegan meal, a must try if you're in the area. Would get five stars if they had a few more vegan options and didn't serve meat.

Pros: Clearly marked vegan options (english), Free wifi

Cons: Serves meat

Great when craving Western food - Edit

A friend introduced this to me and I am so glad she did. I try to eat local (EX:Chinese food) but this place is craveable and a wonderful place when I need a shot of healthy Western food. I recommend the 6 salad combo. It is a lot of food, allows for you to try many of their creative, fantastic pre-made salads and for the price, is quite reasonable for the large portion. Xintiandi location offers outdoor seating.

western veg options - Edit

I normally prefer to support places which are 100% veg, however, as the veg places in China are mostly Chinese veg and therefore all about mock meat, of which I'm not a fan, I'm very happy with Sproutworks, where there are 'western' veg options!

I like this location better than the one in the Super Brand Mall, because the Xintiandi location is at street level and has outdoor seating, vs being in the basement of a shopping mall in Lujiazui. The food is equally great in both locations though, so if you're over on the other side it's worth trying it over there.

Pros: western food

Cons: serves meat

One Of Our Favorites! - Edit

Although not strictly vegan or vegetarian, they do have many dishes that one can choose from. Their salad bar is excellent with many choices. Everything is bi-lingual so one needn't worry and the wait staff can speak English. This location has a much better atmosphere, with its outdoor seating than the one located in the basement of the Super Brand Mall in Pudong. (However if you are on that side of town, don't hesitate to stop in for a great meal.)

This location is quite convenient from the #10 subway (take exit to MaDang Lu and walk north on Madang Lu) or one can take Bus 109 to Huangpi Nan Lu Fuxing Zhong Lu (South Huangpi Rd Middle Fuxing Rd: 黄陂南路复兴中路)

I could easily give SproutWorks a five cow rating if they didn't serve meat. That is the only downside.

Pros: Vegan and Vegetarian choices, Great atmosphere, Staff can speak English

Cons: Does serve meat

Return to Shanghai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has SproutWorks - XinTianDi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1703 times since Jun 2014.