CLOSED: Sprouts Natural Foods Cafe

• Veg-friendly

Contact 530-541-6969

3123 Harrison Ave, South Lake Tahoe, California, USA, 96150

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has turkey & tuna. Use lots of cheese in dishes but are happy to accommodate vegans. Soups are made fresh daily and are always vegan. REPORTED CLOSED MAY 2016 FOR RENOVATIONS - LET HAPPYCOW KNOW WHEN IT RE-OPENS!

Category: Vegan-friendly, Juice bar, Non-veg

First Review by kmdavenport

Great vegan burgers - Edit

People told me that the Seitan burger was Great so I stop by to give it a try. When I told him I was vegan they had a very established format for converting the dish into pure vegan been included altering the bread choice and replacing the honey Dijon mustard.

That is an attention to detail you do not see too often in non-vegan restaurants.

They know their stuff and the food is delicious.

Delicious food, good prices - Edit

I really liked the place, staff was very friendly. They can do almost everything vegan from the menu and add vegan cheese. I tried classic burrito which was very good, but my favourite dish was days creamy potatoe soup, yummy!!! :)
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 12, 2015
Oh!!! And they have vegan cookies! :)

Pros: Good price, Good food, Cozy place and nice staff

Good Food and Good Prices - Edit

Delicious smoothies. Large menu with a lot of options. Some items contain meat, and a lot of options contain cheese, but they are happy to make substitutions.

I ordered a Tempeh Burger and asked them not to add the cheese. They were proactive enough to ask if I wanted it fully vegan and proceeded to remove the honey mustard, which I hadn't even realized was part of the dish. They also asked if I wanted vegan cheese as a substitution.

The food was very good, and the prices were more than reasonable. Friendly staff also.

My only problem was that they didn't accept credit or debit cards. Thankfully they do have an ATM onsite.

Pros: Variety, Price

Cons: Cash or Check Only

ehhhh - Edit

Well the menu was small and it was pretty yummy but the staff was not friendly. All soups are vegan. They offer things like burritos salads and bowls.

Pros: yummy food, good options, prices are fair

Cons: staff, small menu

Good Food - Edit

Stopped in here on recent trip to Tahoe and had dinner. Food was good but assume since we are Vegan the cheese that comes on most dishes is what really lends the flavor. I would eat there again but it just didnt quite live up to many other Vegan places I have eaten.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Healthy, Helpful

Worth the drive - Edit

Coming from the Vegan wasteland of Reno, my wife and I were overjoyed to discover this fresh and upbeat little berg. The staff is friendly and vibrant. Couldn't get a tempeh burger, however, as on both occasions we visited, they had not found a new supplier. Wife isn't Vegan, but raved about her carcass burger. The food was excellent as were the drinks. The Vegan Black Bean soup was so good (a side came with my order) that after finishing our meal, we both ordered a full bowl.

Pros: Vibrant Staff, Open air seating, Vegan options

Cons: No Vegan cheese

Get a Bowl after Boardin' - Edit

After a tiring day of snowboarding on the mountain their Cadillac Bowl - made vegan - totally hit the spot! They understand vegan and can make a lot of their dishes to accommodate. A great way to start the day, too, with fresh juices, wheat grass and other vegan fuel for a day on the mountain. The crew was cool, too. If it was walking distance to our hotel, i would of eaten here more!

Pros: They totally "get" vegan, friendly, fast 'n cheap

Cons: a drive from most hotels & resorts, and they do serve animal flesh

yummy! - Edit

The people at Sprouts are very friendly. i had their hummus and couscous taco - it was so different from anything i have ever had before, and was so yummy! i also tried their chili which was delicious. The only downside was that the restaurant isn't completely vegetarian. However, they are very accommodating to vegans and vegetarians. i love this place and will be back again!!

Pros: great location, unique food, vegan options

Cons: not completely vegetarian

Delish - Edit

Had a vegan tempeh burger here that was delicious. Many of the items on the menu have meat or cheese, but theres also a lot of veg options. When I was ordering my tempeh burger, I told the girl that I was vegan, and she accomodated me easily and knew all the right things to tell me (honey mustard has real honey, the avocado has no sour cream, the bread has dairy so would you like it on a bagel). The employees here are very knowledgeable about veganism and all the food tasted great. My friends had a turkey club sandwich that they thought was great too.

Best place to eat in Tahoe - Edit

The food at Sprouts is delicious, I have had almost everything on the menu and have never been disappointed. I will drive to Tahoe just to eat here. My favorite things are the quesadilla and the rice bowl cadillac.

Pros: Excellent Food, Great Value, Friendly Staff

Cons: Only Takes Cash

Pleasent Surprise - Edit

Unable to access happycow.net we stumbled upon this place accidentaly driving by. The staff was freindy and happy folks. If you sit at the bar you are able to see the staff prepare the foods. Being Vegan I got the Soup De Jour which was great. My husband got the Turkey Melt. The melt was a large portion and he enhjoyed it. Reasonably priced. Small, quaint, and warm enviroment.

Pros: friendly, warm atmosphere, relaxed atmosphere

I simply LOVE sprouts - Edit

This place is awesome.. the guy who owns it is friendly as can be and you can tell he treats his staff well . I love eating here, the food is great -- I HIGHLY recommend it to EVERYONE!

Delicious, Fresh Food in Folksy Type Restaurant - Edit

Enjoyed a tempeh burger piled high with raw veggies like shredded carrots, purple cabbage. onions. Imbibed on a peach smoothie, which was terrific. Order at the counter. Help friendly. Casual place. Not a busy season but quite filled with others who appreciate healthful cuisine. Friends had a stuffed burrito and mushroom burger. All were happy and would come back.

Pros: Nutritious, Delicious

Cons: Wooden Tables, Have to order up front, Tiny Bathroom

Yummy Food, Too Bad It's Not Organic - Edit

I enjoyed eating here! The carrot-ginger juice was awesome, and the veggie burger rocked my husband's world.

I was disappointed that none of the food is organic, however. I could tell the difference between the salad I had here and the one I had at Freshies. The tomatoes were flavorless.

Still, with the lack of many other choices, you could do a lot worse than this place. The staff is friendly and the atmosphere is upbeat.

Pros: friendly staff, good value

Return to South Lake Tahoe Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Sprouts Natural Foods Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3755 times since Aug 2007.