First Review by CiaraSlevin

Ice cream headache - Edit

Spoon street allows you to vend frozen yogurt of many flavours from dispensers into a cup, add toppings, then you pay by weight.
Dietary info. for the toppings might be confusing as they offering gummy sweets and familiar confectionery (if you didn't know smarties weren't vegan for example, this could pose you a problem), along with fruit.
The frozen yogurt is really cold when dispensed, and never fails to give me an ice cream headache! I also found some flavours to be a little artificial. A lot of them seemed to contain stevia or xylitol as the sweetener. I prefer sugar personally.
There's been an upsurge in these types of ice cream places in NI recently. For a bigger selection (ice cream, gelato) try Newcastle in County Down.

Pros: Interesting concept

Cons: Uses sweeteners sometimes, Can be pricey

Vegan dairy free options available - Edit

I really enjoyed visiting Spoon Street frozen yogurt bar on the Upper Newtownards Road, so was delighted when a branch opened in Belfast city centre's Ann Street. I visited last week and thoroughly enjoyed it, trying the dairy free lemon (quite tarte) and watermelon (sweet tasting) options which the staff told me were dairy free because they are fruit based sorbets. These sorbets have a richer, creamier consistency than traditional sorbet, being more like whipped ice cream.

All the usual toppings are available ranging from healthy fruits to sweets and chocolates. I did notice there seemed to be fewer flavour options in the city centre location than at Newtownards Road. Perhaps more seating space and less dispensing machines.

I will definitely return, but as it's now October, it may be the summer months before I visit this or any other frozen yogurt bar again. The novelty of frozen yogurt is beginning to wear off a bit for me. Also who wants to eat such cold food during icy winter months?! Fabulous when summer sun is shining, but possibly not an all year round activity. Maybe they should diversify into mulled wine over winter time...

Return to Belfast Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Spoon Street closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.