First Review by Jemima

Friendly, good value, worth cycling to - Edit

I went here after some good hill practice on the bike and so was very hungry. Got a great juice, a friendly reception and felt like I was In a family room, so I stayed for lunch. Great. They even let me pop my bike inside as I had no lock, and chatted away about the food. One dish had fake meat which I don't like, but you can just choose the items you do like. Worth a visit.

delicious food, great atmosphere! What more do you want? :) - Edit

We arrived at 9pm, just when they were getting ready to close up, but they were so warm and welcoming. They devided the leftovers between the last hungry customers and we weren't rushed at all. The food was great and versatile, she makes delicious vegan cheese herself and the atmosphere was amazing and heart warming. We left the place with round bellies. Whenever you're in the neighbourhood you should pay this inspiring woman a visit. :)

Pros: yummy, welcoming, vegan cheese that's actually gooey

Cons: it's too far away from Antwerp ;)

Interesting, relaxed restaurant - Edit

Have visited Spirited Palace a few times. They only open at 2pm. The food is really different and interesting and the place is very quiet and laid-back and has a really nice atmosphere.

All on earth and earth treated right!PeaceonEarth! - Edit

On Church Rd around the intersection, there are a few pubs across/ a few shops down from it.
Small glass shop front with the sign in green on the window. Lots of leaflets are pinned in the window. There is reggae playing which you might be able to listen for to lead you to it. On street level there is the counter/ kitchen? where the food is served from. Go past this and downstairs to the sitting area. It is like going to someone's house. Perhaps it is and they use it for seating during opening hours. There are tables around, sofas, bags of toys for children, bookshelf with books ranging from National Trust guide to Jehovah's Witness texts, to African American related books amongst others. Musical equipment is around so maybe they have parties down there too. Different types of artwork/ prints/ posters with some relation to African culture hang on the walls. There is one wall which is painted in a stereotypical Caribbean scape with coconut trees, beach and blue sky. Lighting is dimmed.
Other diners present were families and pairs of people of African descent.

The counter has the food available and you can choose what you want. I had a plate with some of everything. I have not tasted Caribbean food before so cannot compare it. I had brown rice with kidney beans, a couple of different flavoured/ marinated meat substitutes, pasta bake, cooked shredded cabbage/ carrot, lentils, salad leaves with dressing. It was filling and quite tasty home cooking. The dressing on the salad leaves was scrumdiddilyumtious and I meant to ask them what it was!! I will have to get that information because it definitely was scrumdiddilyumtious and I want to eat it again.
There were, what I presume were, Caribbean style cakes too, which I omitted due to being too full.

Service was friendly and attentive by one busy waitperson.

Value was fair at ₤7 for a quite generous plate and loads of good Afro-Caribbean empowerment vibes.

This is a strong four down to the inspiring African empowerment vibe. Power to da people! Equality on earth! Peace out!

Pros: Inspiring empowering vibe, family friendly, open long hours

Cons: more vegetables would be good

Return to South East London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Spirited Palace closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.