Spirit

Contact 010-4116356

De Groene Passage shopping centre, Mariniersweg 9 (at corner Goudesingel, just outside the city centre), Rotterdam, Netherlands, 3011 NB

Vegetarian cafe situated in the same complex as Gimsel health food supermarket. Renovated and expanded in summer 2012. Offers soups, salad bar, and choose your own ingredients for the wok fry. Closed Sun.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Take-out, European, Dutch

First Review by Stevie

Delicious - Edit

It was delicious, most excellent vegetarian buffet restaurant. All vegetarian and a lot of vegan things. So many types of food to choose from and they were all delicious. You pay per weight and it's not that expensive. If I lived here I'd go every day... Best veg. restaurant in The Netherlands!

Great buffet style restaurant for vegetarian and vegan food - Edit

This is a great place for lunch. Bright and airy location right next to the biggest health food store in Rotterdam. The food is served buffet style: you fill your plate with however much you want of everything, and then pay for the weight of your plate. Everything was delicious. They also serve various cakes, baked goods, smoothies and juices. Staff was also friendly.

Pros: Lots of options, Friendly staff, Nice location

Organic awesomeness - Edit

I go here often and the only time that I was disappointed is when I went for breakfast. The main dishes for breakfast were eggs and pancakes, which were both not suitable for vegans. I heard they have vegan pancakes now, but haven't checked them out. What I do love about this restaurant is that you pay for the amount of food you take, so people are encouraged to finish their food. I do a lot of cooking myself and I like going somewhere, where they prepare food that I couldn't easily make myself. The smoothies and desserts are also fabulous! For a self-service place it's on the pricey side though. Finally, I still prefer completely vegan places...

Pros: 100% organic, Pay for the amount, Awesome food

Cons: Pricey, Breakfast options are limited, Gluten free is not guaranteed

loads of options! - Edit

the vegetarian buffet here is huge! (which can also make it hard to decide what to put on your plate!) downside is that it's quite expensive, especially for self service but the taste makes up for it.

Pros: great food, lots of choice, good atmosphere

Cons: expensive , selfservice

Veggie hotspot - Edit

This is the veggie hotspot of Rotterdam. Vegetarian and non vegetarian people come together here. Wide arrange of options on buffet and nice atmosphere. Next to an eco-supermarket and fair trade shop in one of the nicest neighborhood in the city.

Pros: Fresh, many options, good drinks

Cons: little expensive, crowded sometimes

Superb buffet-style! - Edit

We've been to Spirit many times over the years and it just keeps getting better. Not super cheap but quite affordable given the quality, choice and selection. Every day for lunch and dinner there will be at least ten main dishes and 20 or more sides. Sold by weight, you can have as much or as little as you like. Some standouts:
- Tempeh dishes; Dutch tempeh is the best I have ever had, probably due to the large Indonesian population in the country, and Spirit always has at least one great tempeh dish
- Deserts; not all vegan ( but all vegetarian), usually some great apple or chocolate cakes
- New since last year, serve yourself vegan ice cream / 8 flavors and all were great (you can serve yourself a little of each to try them all)

Pros: fresh, choice, very high quality

Cons: so much choice, so little space in my belly!

Excellent - Edit

Well, it doesn´t get cheap to eat here, I think I took food twice, hot and cold dishes, and I paid maybe 13 and 14 euros... even though I only took a little bit of yeah, just about everything, as the majority of the buffet was vegan. Delicious it was too, you could tell that a lot of effort is put into each combination of ingredients. I topped it all off with a few scoops of ice cream, they had some 8 flavours all of which were vegan.
In addition, staff were quite friendly and they even offered me to "borrow" an umbrella in view of the tremendous storm that took place after my meal. I said no, but it was a nice gesture for sure.
By the way, the Green Passage is certainly not your average shopping mall, it's just a few shops with green ambitions under the same roof, so to speak.

Exeptional food! - Edit

I ate here twice, and both times I was astonished by the variaty and the special taste of all the food. It is a pretty big restaurant and it has a buffet so you can choose what and how much you want. You paid for the weight of your food. All the food looks and tastes delicious! I can definitely recommend this. Although it is pretty expensive and the atmosphere could be better (if you go upstairs, you can sit nicer than downstairs).

Pros: Very tasty food, Good concept with the buffet

Cons: Pretty expensive

Very good vegan options - Edit

I love this place..... It's not very cheap but the quality is amazing.......and you can choose whatever you like and how much of it you take.. Great food, sometimes it can get a bit noisy indoors.

Pros: great food

Cons: could be expensive, can be a bit noisy

Excellent place in Rotterdam with a great variety - Edit

One of my favorite places in Rotterdam to visit when you are looking for vegan food. Right in the centre and only a few hundred meters away from the stunning Markthal, which is a must see.

The food is served in a buffet style and with every dish you'll see the ingredients listed, which makes it an excellent visit for people with food allergies.

As this is one of the most popular veggie places in Rotterdam you'll notice that it's always quite crowded (it's also located next to an organic supermarket), but in a pleasant way and because of the buffet style the turn around of tables is quit quick. This last bit if also the only downside. It's not a great place if you're aiming for a long dinner night in a cozy setting.

Pros: A lot of vegan options, Ingredients listed, Next to an organic supermarket

Cons: Take away style, Not open on Sunday

Awesome - Edit

Spirit is great - lots of choice for vegans, a pay-by-weight buffet syle operation with a range of cold and warm dishes and desserts, the only problem is choosing how much to pile on your plate. Indoor and outdoor seating available. Takes debits cards or cash, NOT credit cards.

Pros: Pay by weight, Outside Seating

Cons: Does not take credit cards

Fantastic quality food! Really spoilt for choice! - Edit

Well on my trip to Rotterdam I went here breakfast, then had lunch, & dinner both days and (takeaway breakfast and desserts (of course))! The choice was so extensive, and all of it tasty! Very original and creative...and fresh!!! The chef was cooking in sight and kindly made extra pancakes when I arrived and they had ran out on the buffet. There were raw cuisine items too. I cook a lot so it always a treat when I find things to eat that I don't make at home. Great desserts too...I'll be back! Very easy to get to, nice set up and such a laid back atmosphere, friendly staff.

Pros: Great food, Quality , Location

Lots of vegan options - Edit

Everything I ate was amazing. If you are traveling and stop here be sure to use cash as they do not accept credit cards, and they weren't sure my debit card from the States would work.

As good as the food is, this place is simply beyond my budget as a traveler. I wish I had gotten a receipt so I could give a concrete example of how much food I got, but the cost was 17.75 Euro ($24 USD). I won't go back because of that alone.

Pros: Amazing array of vegan option

Cons: Price is by weight, Expensive

Warning: Highly addictive! - Edit

About a year ago, this place has extended its opening hours and seating space, and for a reason: Everybody loves it! It's a vegetarian buffet restaurant with ca. 80% vegan dishes. They sell food by weight (minus the weight of the plate), and almost everything is just heavenly. For every dish there's a label with ingredients, which is great for people with allergies or other food intolerances. Hardly a week passes by without a dinner at Spirit, but it's also a nice place for a breakfast (they open at 8am already) or brunch. Soups, salads, hot dishes, and also some yummy pastry options. Great organic beers and wines, fresh juices/ smoothies, and even some killer cocktails. Bonus points in summer: Outdoor seating under beautiful big trees.

Pros: Huge variety of fresh food, Pay by weight = easy system, Self service: WYSIWYG

Cons: Biggest con: Closed on Sundays, Extremely busy between 6 and 8 pm, Outdoor smokers

So many vegan options - Edit

I pretty much have to echo the review below. I tried and loved almost every vegan option and there were tons of them, all clearly labeled. I spent about 16 EUR and came away completely satisfied. The seitan and tofu options were especially tasty. And there was tap water! Free water is not always so easy to find. My partner had an organic beer that he really enjoyed as well. The only downside was limited seating. We had to squeeze 3 of us into a 2 person table at the dinner hour on a weekday, but it was totally worth it.

Pros: tons of vegan options, good value, free water

Cons: limited seating

Spirit in Rotterdam, 10th of August 2013 - Edit

We were going to celebrate my sister's birthday at her apartment in Rotterdam, which was a great excuse to go shopping in Rotterdam city centre and visit a restaurant. We always go to the same place: Spirit.

Spirit serves biological and vegetarian/vegan food in buffet style and you only pay for the weight of your plate. This is fair to big and small eaters and creates less waste.

We went there by train, but you can also get there by tram, bus or metro.

It's hard to say what we got exactly, because we tried basically everything there was. We only chose from the vegan options, which were about 20 dishes. Every dish is 100% described on the cards and they are marked as "vegan" and/or "gluten free". They don't have to mark vegetarian dishes, since everything is at least vegetarian.

Everything we had tasted absolutely great, I can't name one bad dish. For starters I had a big cold plate (16 EUR), which pretty much filled me up completely. For the second course I had a small hot plate (7 EUR). Although I was already stuffed, I had to eat everything I had on my plate because of the great taste (and or course because of the calories and protein!). So my stomach was extremely full on 100% biological, vegan food and that for only 23 EUR. Water is free from the tap, or you can get something else. Of course also the drinks are completely biological.

The place looks very nice, calm and relaxing. What we did notice, was that there was no music. We kinda missed that.

Food: 10/10
Service: N/A
Decor: 9/10 (no music)
Cost: 10/10
Bodybuilder-friendly: 10/10 (a lot of high protein options!)

Pros: Food, Cost, Bodybuilder-friendly

A great choice for lunch - Edit

A self service with a wide variety of dishes, all vegetarian and 90 percent vegan. All ingredients are clearly stated near the dishes and vegan dishes are clearly marked too. The food is fresh , the choice is great so one can always find something to his/ her taste. Some dishes are nicer than others, we tried many , some were very good and other just OK, , but all are freshly prepared and all together it is a great choice for a vegan lunch or dinner in Rotterdam . The only disappointment was on the dessert front: we tasted the vegan lemon cake which looked great but didn't taste great at all. Nevertheless would definitely recommend the place and would return on our next visit to Rotterdam .
Updated from previous review on Saturday October 19, 2013

Pros: clean, fresh, tasty

Cons: dining- room atmosphere

I eat here every week - Edit

As a vegan, I have lots of choices here - almost all dishes from the big buffet are vegan which is cleary stated on a label along with the ingredients.
It has a lot of options for extra seeds/nuts/sauces/garnishing your own dish. Mix and max from the buffet and you pay by weight. Take out is also possible, this is slightly cheaper. They also offer soy milk for the coffee as well as almond milk!
This place also has a small tap in the restaurant with tapwater and carton cups for free. Possible to sit outside as well.

Pros: Lots of vegan choices, 100% vegetarian, Organic

Cons: Nonvegan food could be easily veganized, Closed on Sundays but open on Mondays

One of my favourites - Edit

A great vegetarian buffet restaurant, with vegan options clearly labeled. You only pay for what you plan to eat, which is great. The food is wonderful, with lovely vegetables long forgotten by the mass. Also have vegan pies and soy lattes. Wish I'd live in Rotterdam so I could go here more often, though right now it's really a treat to visit this place (which would be like, every time I'm in the city :)).

Pros: healthy, tasty food, only pay for what you eat, different dishes all the time

My favourite place! - Edit

Any time I go to Rotterdam and have the time to have dinner there, I make sure I go to Spirit. The food is always lovely, the atmosphere is warm and the staff is really nice. Almost everything it vegan and because it's a buffet there will always be something you like. If you haven't been there yet you should give it a try!

Amazing - Edit

We were there once before the renovation and we liked it a lot, but now we love it! The buffet is awsome with so many vegan dishes, I think there are even more vegan options than vegetarian dishes! All is exactly declared from vegan to glutenfree!
Best food you can find in Rotterdam, a vegan paradise!
And don't miss the "Gimsel", the organic supermarket who fullfill all desires!

Pros: Varity of vegan dishes, Opening hours, Organic

Veg*an food at its best in Rotterdam - Edit

"Spirit" used to be a great place, but after the recent renovation and expansion (in September 2012) it became even better! I find the atmosphere more relaxed now, due to more space at the buffet and the separation of buffet and cash desk (it is still a self-service place where you pay most of the food by weight). Every time I visit this place I plan not to take too many different dishes on my plate and take my time to enjoy one at a time, but I always end up with quite a mix because everything looks and tastes sooo good. And now there is even more variety! And I am looking at the vegan choices only: soup, salads, all kinds of main dishes (really not only wok-fry), cake... you name it! Veg*an cooking at its best, and mostly very creative. Not to forget the drinks, fresh juices and others! 5 cows!

Pros: Excellent + healthy food, Great variety of veg*an dishes, Friendly staff

A Surprise - Edit

When we found Spirit we noticed it was part of Health Food Store. We were pleasantly surprised. Although it was a buffet, the food was fresh and we were able to share a bottle of local bio wine. Between the 2 of us, I think we sampled all they had to offer. I don't usually like quinoa but I had some anyway and the preparation of quinoa and cranberries made a great palate cleanser between my African and Indian entrees. We will definitly go again.
We shopped in the attached health food store and brought home some great cheese.

Pros: fresh food, wine

Cons: small talbes

Vegetarian and vegan buffet style restaurant/cafe - Edit

When I was living in Rotterdam I stayed around the corner from Spirit and regularly patronised this lovely place.

You take dishes from a buffet and pay by the weight. The variety and freshness is excellent! Also they have soups, bread, cakes, organic chocolate, etc. Take away is possible too.

It's a simple but nice seating area with wooden tables and chairs. I think they also opened an upstairs seating area so there is always space to sit. Usually there are a lot of Dutch people who come and socialise in this restaurant. It makes a good combination with the organic supermaket and bakery nextdoor.

It's conveniently located within walking distance from Rotterdam Central Station (20min) and Blaak Station (10 min walk) The map here on happy cow points exactly to the right location. Can't miss it!

Pros: Variety, Location, Cozy

Amazing - Edit

We've found this place because we were interested in "De Groene Passage". We did know you could eat there, we didn't know it was so good.
It's a buffet with a lot of vegan options. Fried tempeh with beans, tofu salad, baked poatoes, great avocado spread/salad. Than there are the desserts... several cookies, muffins, pies and cakes. Everything is fresh and organic. And like I said, most is vegan as well.
It's a bit pricy, but that's simply because of the quality of the products. I personally don't mind to pay a bit more for fresh and honest food.
The atmosphere is really nice and crowdy. Plus the visitors are very diverse. Office people who have their lunch break, shopping corwd, locals drinking coffee... I like that a lot! So don't go there if you want to enjoy a meal in absolute silence.

Pros: diverse crowd, lots of vegan options, friendly staff

Cons: a bit pricy

Spirit, Rotterdam - Edit

Spirit is a cafe in the same complex as Gimsel health food super market making it convenient if you are also looking to stock up. English spoken (doesn't everyone in Holland speak Emglish?) by the staff. Options for vegan veggies are soup, the salad bar and the wok fry where you select your own ingredients. Sandwiches and savouries are also available for lacto ovo veggies. Easily less than 10 mins walk to both Stadhuis and Blaak metros.

Pros: Vegan veggie options, Handy for Gimsel, OK hours and location

Return to Rotterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Spirit closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5112 times since Aug 2007.