Sparestore

n/a

1/F, Le Prabelle Hotel, 372 Portland Street, Prince Edward, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China

An all-vegan cafe that operates every Sunday at Portland Commons, a multi-purpose shared space for community events and cultural activities with a focus on food education and the environment. Offers a small food menu (appetizer, main course and a couple of desserts) that changes weekly. Drinks include coffee, tea, smoothies, juices, mocktails and more. Uses local and organic ingredients when available. Note: non-vegan restaurants use the kitchen on other days and left over items may be visible in the display fridge on occasion. Open Sun 11:00am-5:00pm. Only on Sunday.

Categories: Vegan, International, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Fusion

First Review by ouikouik

十分有心機及十分fun - Edit

好喜歡這素食咖啡室! 士啤士多在太子ExitD行兩分鐘即達,份量細滴咁der,但十分有心機及十分fun。只是weekend營業,每週不同menu,睇怕每個星期都要來。

Vegan all day breakfast - Edit

Haven't had all breakfast for ages since I became vegan so their post in instagram install caught my eye and went in to give a try. It's quite close to price Edward station so not hard to find it but I did hesitate for a bit before coming in as it shared space with a kid corner which was kind of surprised me. I realised it was a share space after going in and truly understand it as the rent in Hong Kong is crazy and it was a self service restaurant - I have to admit I didn't read thoroughly before going to pay a visit :p
I went order the brekkie at the counter which is also their open kitchen situated and go grab my seat. I cleaned up my own table as I noticed it was very busy day and i picked up this habitat when I was at the states. People will clean their own table when they go in self service restaurants. Finally my brekkie arrived and it didn't disappoint me. The scrambled turmeric tofu really tasted quite like scrambled egg and baked beans with tomato sauce was nice too I could tell it's freshly made not those canned one used in most of the restaurants in HK serving all day breakfast. The sweet potato was very nice - bear with me haven't had waffle since became vegan but it tasted very nice to go with guanmole sauce. The filling brekkie made me a happy vegan. Hopefully it would venture other stuffs so people can know choices on vegan menu are not limited

Pros: Served nice vegan all day breakfast , Accessible location , Fairly priced

Cons: Not a fast food joint speed , Kids may get noisy in the shared space

Cozy vegan cafe serve amazing food! - Edit

I consider Sparestore is one of the best vegan café in Hong Kong, tho they just open less than 2 months, I’ve been there over 5 times already! Chefs are all friendly and enthusiastic young vegans, they serve tasty and innovative food with fresh ingredients, including appetizer, main course, dessert, coffee and drinks, there’re not many choices from menu, but it already enough for me to try out a lot!

Different menu every week makes me full of expectation every time I visit. I even brought non-vegan friends there and everyone impressed by the food and drinks!

Sparestore located in Princess Edward, it takes only few mins walk from metro station. And you will be surprise to find such an uncommercial place in city center. This cozy vegan cafe open every Sunday, and this is actually a share place to running handcrafting workshops, selling local farms crops and mini children library etc., good vibes and suit for everyone to go! And I just love the way they do!

Pros: Super nice and creative vegan food, Relaxing place with nice people, High eco-friendly awareness

Cons: Speed up food serving, I don't mind if have little more choices on menu

Good vegan slow dining - Edit

I have been there a few times already. I love the style here. The place, the food, the people, the rhythm. I can bring my work there or relax whole day with a cup of coffee and some desserts.

Open and brightly illuminated place. Great atmosphere for relaxing or working.

Do not expect this to be fast food, rather, relax and have a slow a good time here!

And I do not know why this is rated as a vegetarian restaurant as they are vegans and explicitly brand as a vegan eatery for ethical reasons.

Pros: Great coffee and drinks, Great desserts, Great environment and style

Cons: not many choices for food but this saves time too!, Sometimes there maybe a lot of people coming for , other functions that share the same space

sparestore - Edit

i'd love to give sparestore the highest rating possible, because it's run by a small group of vegan friends and undoubtedly people with heart.

however, probably due to teething issues and unexpectedly high demand, service was slow and and disorganised. we placed our orders around 1.15 pm and were apologetically told that we would have to wait about half an hour for our meals. true enough, it was only around 1.43 pm that i was served my matcha soy latte and 1.55 pm the main meal. my friend who ordered tea had her drink served just slightly earlier than mine (hers was just a teabag in hot water). also, staff didn't quite seem to know which orders belonged to which tables.

our meal wasn't as warm as it should have been (waffles were cold) and we noticed that dishes at other tables had double the number of cherry tomatoes than ours. consistency would have been good, especially if there's only one main course, and we felt that $88 wasn't great value for money for our full english breakfast (sans drink).

ambience was lively yet relaxed. the co-sharing space was lined with shelves of children's books, and children's workshops were being conducted at both ends.

while my friends and i enjoyed our time chatting with each other, i can imagine that others (especially non-veg*ns) more pressed for time might have left knowing that there would be a half-hour wait.

i hope that sparestore will sort out their teething problems soon and bump up their service standards so i can introduce more friends to this place. perhaps they might want to consider taking reservations so they can plan ahead?

strict vegans, please note:

sparestore only occupies the cafe premises on sundays and a non-vegetarian eatery occupies it for the rest of the week. of the desserts on offer, we were told that one of them belonged to the other restaurateur and was non-vegan, and i do not know if utensils and cookware are shared.

3.5 stars.

Updated from previous review on 2017-08-14

Pros: gentle, friendly vegan proprietors, nice vibe

Cons: service can be very much improved

3 Responses

FloraYeung 15 Aug 2017 - Hi ouikouik,

My name is Flora and as co-owner of Sparestore, I would first like to thank you for taking the time to review our business. I’m sorry that you had to wait that long for your drinks and meal but as you mentioned, since we experienced an unexpectedly high demand (which we were thankful for) this past Sunday, especially around the time of your visit, we did foresee an unfortunate delay in service which we were honest about and had done our best to inform all customers before taking their orders. We will however work harder on prioritising orders if caught in similar situation again and try to serve everyone simultaneously items that take relatively shorter to prepare first, such as the drinks which you’ve mentioned. Our café is self-service but we’ll continue to work on our order management to avoid any misunderstanding or confusion.

We pride ourselves with making our dishes from scratch and fresh upon order using quality and whenever possible, local & organic ingredients only (hence the high food cost), therefore I was surprised to learn that you were served cold waffles and I’m sorry that you didn’t find the food standard up to par. We value communication with as well as feedbacks from our customers and would’ve appreciated it if you had talked to us in person, which could’ve allowed us to replace the waffles for you instead of leaving you disappointed. I sincerely hope to make it up to you on your next visit, if you would still give our café another try.

Thank you for your suggestion concerning reservations but as much as it is regrettable, I have to say in practice this is rather tricky as Portland Commons is a shared space where tables and seats are available to anyone walking in anytime, and we’re not entitled to reserving/retaining these spaces for our own business. That being said, we’re still looking into ways to tackle the seating issues and hopefully we’ll come up with a solution to the best interest of all parties.

Regarding the desserts, I must clarify that the non-vegan items from the non-veg eatery which operates for the rest of the week were in no way on offer or sold at our Sunday café, as those very items conflicted with our own philosophy. Those items were left in the display fridge due to limited storage space, and because of risks of damage (e.g. with the wrong temperature) we couldn’t move those products somewhere else, as they didn’t belong to us.

FloraYeung 15 Aug 2017 - We’ve always been open to our customers about sharing the kitchen with other non-veg restaurateurs. We do co-use some of the built-in or larger equipments and appliances, for instance, the fridge, freezer, oven, stove tops and cutlery but we always make sure that they have been thoroughly cleaned prior to operation every Sunday, and different sections of storage space are clearly marked. That being said, we do have our own set of knives, frying pans, pots and other cooking utensils. Customers can rest assured about our commitment to optimum hygiene standards.

Once again thank you for all your comments and suggestions. I look forward to having you back at our café to witness our improvement and to enjoy a great meal.

ouikouik 19 Aug 2017 - dear FloraYeung

thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail to my review.

i appreciate and applaud your group's dedication to carving out time from your schedules to create vegan food from scratch every sunday. we need more of such non-commercial, cruelty-free communities in hong kong and i hope, like last sunday, customers keep streaming into sparestore week after week.

i'm always a little nervous when bringing non-veggie friends to veggie restaurants, as they often make comparisons with non-veggie eateries in terms of service, price and taste - sometimes unwarranted, sometimes not. still, i'm quietly hoping that they'll enjoy their meal so much that they'll leave wanting to try more plant-based food. i hope sparestore will be one of those mind-changing experiences!

i'll definitely be back for another lazy Sunday brunch and will update my review then. all the best!

Return to Kowloon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sparestore closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.