Spak Brothers

Contact 412-362-7725

5107 Penn Ave, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, 15224

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has vegan options like the vegan buffalo wings and vegan pizza.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Italian, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by christopher byron

What it lacks in tables it makes up for with some great food and drink - Edit

Spak Brothers is an unflashy spot with limited seating. What it lacks in tables it makes up for with some great food and drink. They have pizza, subs and wings all vegetarian and mostly vegan. The pizza tastes just the way you remember as a kid and everything else is top notch as well. They have locally brewed sodas to drink and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The food is very affordable so you can use the quarters you save to play the 80s style arcade game.

Like the olden days - Edit

I recently just visited here for the first time because I was eager to try their seitan wings to compare to Double Wide's since many people said Spak's were better. It's hard to tell which ones are better since they're both kind of different. Both are really good options. I was a little disappointed that everything came packaged as if to go, even though I was planning to eat inside. So when I asked to try two different flavors, I assumed I would get the flavors separated, half and half. Instead, they gave me the buffalo and the (vegan) honey mustard (which I had actually asked for BBQ and honey mustard) mixed together, which was somewhat strange, but not altogether gross. I also got the vegan ranch, which I was somewhat disappointed in. And, as someone previously mentioned, it was all VERY greasy. I also ordered a 6" blackened tempeh hoagie. I was sort of disappointed because it was supposed to be spicy, but it wasn't. But it was still delicious! The combination of the amazing hoagie bun, the pickled veggies, and the mayo took me back to my pre-veg days. My aunt went with me, and she kept raving how good the bun was, too. I am definitely eager to visit again and try their other options. I think this place will be one of my favorites. The only thing I didn't care for was that it seemed they are moreso designed to be a carry out type place, so their seating is limited and the bar we sat at had a cobbled tabletop which was somewhat awkward to eat at.

Overrated and salty as heck - Edit

This place is a cool little spot, popular with the hip and young. There are event listings on the wall and vintage arcade games. Neat space. Some stools and a counter to sit at. Also is on the bus line.

I had the seitan Philadelphia "steak" foot-long, with no egg, vegan mayo, and Daiya cheese. It was absolutely massive and too much for one meal! Trust me -- I was famished and have a generally huge appetite, but this thing was monstrous. A six-inch hoagie would be reasonable for one meal. Very tasty if you like seitan. Pretty salty overall but tasty. Great bun and vegetable fixing.

On the recommendations of other reviews here, I also ordered the seitan wings with vegan ranch sauce on the side. The were downright disgusting. It was like eating a salty, sour, greasy chew toy. I couldn't eat more than one. Such a waste of money and food, really. They were not cheap.

Overall, I'd recommend the hoagie but definitely NOT the wings. An order of two foot-longs plus the wings came to over 27 bucks.
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 03, 2014

Pros: Fresh veggies , Huge portions , Neat decor

Cons: Too salty, Gross wings

Whoa! - Edit

This is a Pittsburgh-must-go! Vegan subs are amazing!

(I would have given it 5 cows, but happy cows only allow 4 cows for a restaurant that isn't totally vegan).

Pros: Delicious Vegan Food, GREAT prices!

I love Spak even though they hurt me. - Edit

Spak is pretty awesome, and it's right across the street from a small music venue where, like, Ted Leo would come through on tour, so you could totally see him come over here for an amazing vegan sandwich before a show, right? They have veggie meats and good pizza and Daiya cheese. It's a greasy foods sort of place and vegans have to have a source for that too!

My only issue with Spak is that they charge an extra buck for the Daiya cheese. That's crap. I mean, look, Spakky baby. We the vegans make all of our omni friends order from you instead of somewhere else. We go out of the way to pick it up from you since you don't deliver even though Pittsburgh weather is usually terrible. We could have gotten cheeseless pizza with lots of veggies on top delivered to us and we'd have been happy with that, really. But we choose you because you give a damn and offer us options and we bring our omni friends to you and we write good reviews of your establishment because we think you make good food that respects our desire to not harm sentient creatures and destroy the environment. But you want to charge us an extra buck? That's hurtful, Spak. See my feelings? They're hurt.

Pros: has vegan cheese

Cons: charges extra buck for vegan cheese

A Must for Vegans! - Edit

go here. order the seitan wings with a side of vegan ranch dressing. be prepared to freak out over their deliciousness & be prepared to crave them from now on!!!
this place also has amazing vegan pizza. i've never been disappointed.
whenever my hubby & i are in the mood for take-out, this is our spot. trust me - try it! 5-stars!!!

Best pizza ever! - Edit

I love Spak Brothers pizza! It's the best ever, even better than non-vegan pizza.
Spak Brothers has tons of vegan options. They even have vegan mayo and ranch. Wings and hoagies are awesome too. Every time I visit Pittsburgh I have to come here.
The atmosphere is great too. One time I came here with my girlfriend, and we were the only 2 people dining in. They don't really have much space to sit and eat (mostly a couple stools along a ledge on the wall). They brought us plates, napkins, and forks. We asked if they had any cups of water and they gave us some old chipped mugs from the kitchen that weren't really for customer use. It was a pretty awesome experience, if you like that sort of thing.

Best vegan wings and cheese steaks - Edit

This place is really exceptional. They have the absolute best vegan/vegetarian seitan wings and seitan cheese steaks I have ever had! They can make these either with real cheese and butter or with vegan cheese and a vegan wings sauce.

I take every one of my vegetarian or vegan friends.

Don't go here expecting to eat the healthy side of veggie food, it's not that. Instead it is the guilty pleasure style. When that's what you're looking for this place hits the spot.

Two downsides: there is essentially no seating and the wings take a while to prepare. But despite this, I keep going back.

Pros: Exceptional veggie guilty pleasures, cool art on the wall

Cons: Tiny

A Worthy Dive - Edit

I was in the mood for something completely anti-New Year's Resolution. This hit the spot! I had the vegan philly 'cheese' steak. Absolutely worth it! I was a little hesitant due to the location and the place itself, but one bite had me forget all of my woes.

Pros: tasty food, reasonable prices

Cons: music a little loud, very small place, a bit in disrepair

Spak Brothers - Edit

Vegan junk food at its finest! Spak Brothers is not a large restaurant, but the vegan options seem mouthwateringly endless. Let me tell you, they have one hell of a vegan philly cheese steak. This exceptional vegan junk food sandwich came with well-flavored seitan, green peppers, onions, lettuce, tomato, daiya cheese, and vegenaise all within some very tasty bread. Overall, this was one of my favorite meals in Pittsburgh, and I'll surely go back again during my next visit. 5 cows (site only allows 4)!

Contributions +79

Thinking About It Gives Me a Spak Attack. - Edit

I had the pleasure of being on in before Spak even opened! As a member/organizer of the Pgh Vegan Meetup, Spak contacted us during the planning phase because they progressively wanted to make sure that their menu was accomodating! How awesome is that?!

Well, it gets even "awesomer" because the food great and affordable! Their seitan is tasty and pizza oozes with follow your heart goodness. There aren't many places you can go and order a vegan version of a standard item at a price that's not inflated! I love that they are just a hole in the wall shop with a passion of pizza. Definitely check out one of the locally bottle sodas in the cooler!

Pros: Lots of Vegan Options, Affordable, Locally Owned

Cons: Not 100% Veg., Not Big Enough for a Large Group

I ate until I couldn't eat anymore - Edit

Wow, they give you your money's worth here. I got a seitan melt prepared buffalo style (I think) and sweet potato fries. I ate way too much. It was very very good. I was only in town for a few days and this was up there as a favorite place to be. I enjoyed every second of eating that sandwich.

Pros: good prices, delicious, fun people

Cons: my fries got cold, is that a con?

the best - Edit

We live close to this place and go there often! They just recently added vegan cheesy bread, portabella hoagie, and vegan tacos also to their menu! U can get vegan pepperoni and vegan sauage on a vegan cheese pizza. Everyone is always friendly too.

Pros: cheap, has game to keep u busy

Cons: not much room for sitting

it's like the less than jake song. - Edit

a great little punk rock pizzeria, located about 3/4 of a mile from another great pittsburgh veggie haunt - The Quiet Storm.

there are several veg*n friendly options available, including several types of seitan-based subs. the sandwiches are HUGE and certainly more than a meal if you order the whole and not the half.

the decor is funky - plenty of old and new show fliers abound, a Pac-Man cocktail game, local art, etc.

good food fast. be sure to specify that you want your items vegan!

love the spak - Edit

spak brothers isnt a vegetarian or vegan restaurant they just have excellent veg options. The vegan pizza is amazing. The vegan cheese is very milky at first so i would suggest ordering the pizza to go and should be good to go by the time youre home. The vegan buffalo wings at spak brothers are a staple for me. Theyre probably some of the best faux meat wings ive ever had. The wings are made from seitan and can also be ordered in a sandwich.

very good place. a must go if youre ever in pittsburgh.

I gave spak 4 stars because that's the most stars a non-veg restaurant can get

Pros: delicious food, fast, relatively inexpensive

Return to Pittsburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Spak Brothers closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3632 times since Oct 2009.