First Review by Marzipan

disappointing - Edit

I've been to Soy Division twice now.

On my first visit, I had a bacon roll. The vegan bacon was lovely, but it came on a massive ciabatta with huge amounts of butter which totally obscured the flavour. I had to ask the very aloof staff for ketchup. The atmosphere was very awkward.

Second time around, I had a sausage roll + beans while my friends had full breakfasts. The sausage roll was lovely, but the beans were very bland - and it was very expensive for what you got. The full breakfast - again the "meats" were of high quality but overall a bland and uninteresting meal. We also had to wait almost an hour for our food.

The cafe also has no toilets for customers! Is that even legal?

I gave Soy Division a second chance but I don't think I'll be back, which is a real shame. The idea of 100% vegan cafe on the Southside is so enticing, and Soy Division are using high quality fake meat products - unfortunately their ineptitude makes a visit pretty unsatisfying, particularly when their are many omnivorous cafes nearby that cater so well to vegans.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-05

Pros: using high quality vegan meats

Cons: aloof and inept staff, no toilets, food blandly presented

Southside vegan cafe - Edit

Edir on 271116: Now I've managed to get in for a proper sit down meal I can bump up to the 5. They have rice, coconut and soy milk (Bonsoy), and had loads of dishes on special, and cakes. I was stuffed after my quiche and salads and had to end up taking my cheesecake home. I was there today hosting a vegan meetup and the 5 of us really enjoyed our courses and most of us bought food to take away. If in Glasgow I would recommend making the 20minute bus journey out of the town centre to visit.
****

Here you can pop in for coffee & cake, a savoury sausage roll or scotch pie, or a more substantial meal. I really fancied a bit of lasagne + 2 salads for £8.95 but as I had gone in after work for a quick little something to tide me over til home I opted for a takeaway, heated scotch pie (£3.50).

The combination of vegan 'meat' inside and very delicious homemade pastry hit my wee food hole for a bit. I'll be back in a couple of weeks for a sit down and a big plate o' stuff!

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-11

Pros: Only vegan place on Southside, More reliable kitchen hours (Glasgow in-issue...), Easy to get to on public transport

Cons: A bit small if you want to have a group meal, Shut on Mondays & Tuesdays, Getting folk to travel to Southside

Delicious, authentic, homemade, wholesome. - Edit

A little gem in Glasgow Shawlands, serving up homemade vegan fare with a quintessentially Scottish twist. If you're vegan and want to experience Scottish food culture in the most authentic and genuine way possible, be sure to stop by for a sausage roll, square sausage and tatty scone roll, or go all in for a Full Scottish breakfast.
Inexpensive, outrageously good food, all vegan owned and run by the most genuine and welcoming people. Homely atmosphere and rotating daily specials. Go!

Pros: All vegan, great options, both healthy and comfort

Sausage Rolls! - Edit

This cafe hasn't been opened long but I've already been twice. Very nice people and I believe all the food they sell is home made. The sausage rolls are outstanding and I've taken some out both time I've been in. Mushroom pie is also great and whilst the cakes look great I've not got a sweet tooth, although my daughter is in love with their brownies. :)

Great to see another vegan cafe open in Glasgow with a welcoming and chilled vibe.

Pros: Great food, Awesome staff

Cons: Not cheap, Small

Great Atmosphere - Edit

At last I am able to offer brief review of this much anticipated vegan cafe!

I managed to pop in today, and I was not disappointed. It's a cosy cafe / take-away with a bustling and vibrant atmosphere. It feels like it would be easy to become a well know regular, a bit like Cheers!

I was hungry, so my eyes found the homemade lasagne, and I asked for a slice to to take home with me. After I had selected my order, I mentioned that I wanted to offer a small gift (a household cleaning spray from my company) as one fellow vegan to another, It's nice to offer support! However, typical Glasgow, no good deed goes unrewarded, and I was then not allowed to pay for my lasagne! This is what happens here!

After a bit of Mrs Doyle like toing & froing, I left the cafe with my complimentary lasagne, which I have since heated up and eaten. It was really good. So good, that I cannot wait to return, and try all the good things on their menu.

So, thank you very much for being lovely, and I look forward to visiting again soon. In the meantime, I cannot recommend highly enough.

Pros: Cosy and welcoming., Great selection of savoury items!, Great selection of cakes!

Cons: I cannot think of any at the moment.

HOTROD 21 Oct 2016 - I had a small coffee and a small piece of cake very expensive £6.00 I will not be returning as the other cafe around the corner in Shawlands is cheaper for vegan food, Glad Cafe.I thought she had made a mistake at £6.00 I was alone imaging I had other family members with me in this economy now I have more to do with my £6.00 than have a small coffee and a small cake. Very dissappointed indeed!!!

Return to Glasgow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Soy Division closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.