Southern Fried Vegan BBQ

• Catering Catering
  • Vegan
619-204-2090

Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA

Operates a vegan food booth at events in Southern California - see website for schedule. Food includes vegan mac n cheese, fries, faux meat and steak sandwich, greens, and more.

First Review by MizzB

Tried it Once, Not Sure If I'd Do It Again - Edit

I tried SFV at a food festival. I had been seeing them at different vegan festivals for years, but was never willing to wait in line for it.

This time we ordered food from a vendor next to them and ate it while we waited. I ordered a bowl for $15. They offered a carb base of jambalaya or mac n'cheese. Then a veggie of either collard greens, coleslaw or corn, followed by choice of protein of BBQ chikun, fried chickun, and another option i can't remember.

We decided on 1/2 mac n cheeze, 1/2 jambalaya, collard greens, and fried chickun. The fried chickun was actually only a triangle shaped nugget and they only provided one piece (stingy!) so I gave it to my sister. She said it was good. The mac n' cheeze was decent - I would order it as a side if they offered it separately. Unfortunately, the greens and the jambalaya were bad. The collard greens were clearly mixed with kale and chard - not sure why they wouldn't just say that - and they were underseasoned and undercooked, definitely not southern style. The jambalaya was bland.

I see they have a lot of future events. For a reasonable price, I may try them again but lately I've only seen them offer an overpriced buffet event for $39 ($30 for a one-time visit). I noticed their prices are cheaper outside of L.A. though.

Pros: Good fried chicken nugget and mac n cheeze

Cons: Bland taste, Expensive

Great Concept; Needs Better Execution - Edit

When I first heard about SFV, I was so excited to try some good ole southern vegan cuisine. It didn't quite live up to my expectations, but it was ok.

I have had their food at festivals, so I am unsure if the prices are jacked up to recuperate the expenses of traveling to these festivals or if they are normally that high. As someone previously mentioned, one bowl will run you $15. On my most recent encounter, I got a bowl with jambalaya, 1/2 corn, 1/2 collard greens, and fried "chicken." They give you a LOT of carbs (jambalaya rice, in my case), and a good amount of veggies. However, I got a small slither of fried "chicken," which resembled a nugget more than anything. Because I love sauce, I am always annoyed at the drizzle that they put over the bowl. I'd prefer extra.

They seemed to have improved on the quality of the collards. Anyone who has a true Southern upbringing can tell you that when picking greens, you toss those bulky stems. On SFV's previous trip to my current city, my greens were 90% stems and I was NOT a happy camper. This time, I had more of the actual collard leaves.

The flavor of the jambalaya and the greens were just OK; the jambalaya was borderline bland. Both dishes could use a boost of flavor. The corn and the fried "chicken" nugget were perfectly seasoned.

I have had their "Chicken" and Waffles, and they were quite yummy, although the waffle could've used some (or some more) vegan butter to enhance its flavor.

Pros: all vegan

Cons: expensive

Southern Food - Edit

I would not go out of my way to track this place down. Mediocre is the word that fits best, with unsavory service. I ordered a bowl ($15!) with mac and cheese, collard greens, and "Fried" chicken. The chicken was not fried. No crunch, no breading, no crisp. The mac and cheese was mushy and tasted only of diaya. The collard greens were way too salty and a little underdone. I ate all that I could stomach before my boyfriends food (ordered together) came out... 20 minutes later. He got the brunch plate ($16), a beige plate with a waffle, "fried" chicken, and hash browns. We were told my boyfriend had to wait so long for his food because the waffle is made fresh, but unfortunately, It wasn't crispy. The hash browns were those frozen McDonald type patties. And so salty. I surveyed the room and saw people unenthusiastically eating their food, but I also saw a couple go back for expensive seconds. Maybe it's a hit and miss food cart, or maybe we ordered the wrong things.

Southern comfort, vegan style - Edit

Privileged & pleasure to indulge in Southern Fried Vegan's Sunday brunch bowl at SoMa StrEat Food Park's Vegan 2nd Sunday, while visiting San Francisco, October 2015.
Choose the Mac&Cheese, collard greens, topped with BarBQ chicken drizzled with cheesy sauce. WOW! Been vegan for 10 years now, & non vegan food was never this good.
Looking forward to trying more of their tasty food next trip west.

Added May 2016.
Thoroughly enjoyed Southern Fried Vegan at Oakland VegFest, 5/21/16. Irresistible bowl with Mac&Cheese, collards greens, & this time the BarBQ beef flavor with cheesy sauce. As good as it gets! The Philly Cheesesteak was a keeper, too. Looking forward to next opportunity to dine in such delicious-ness.

Updated from previous review on Saturday May 21, 2016

Pros: Delicious food, Ample portions, Affordable prices

Cons: Food park event

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Southern Fried Vegan BBQ closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.