First Review by MizzB

Southern Food - Edit

I would not go out of my way to track this place down. Mediocre is the word that fits best, with unsavory service. I ordered a bowl ($15!) with mac and cheese, collard greens, and "Fried" chicken. The chicken was not fried. No crunch, no breading, no crisp. The mac and cheese was mushy and tasted only of diaya. The collard greens were way too salty and a little underdone. I ate all that I could stomach before my boyfriends food (ordered together) came out... 20 minutes later. He got the brunch plate ($16), a beige plate with a waffle, "fried" chicken, and hash browns. We were told my boyfriend had to wait so long for his food because the waffle is made fresh, but unfortunately, It wasn't crispy. The hash browns were those frozen McDonald type patties. And so salty. I surveyed the room and saw people unenthusiastically eating their food, but I also saw a couple go back for expensive seconds. Maybe it's a hit and miss food cart, or maybe we ordered the wrong things.

Southern comfort, vegan style - Edit

Privileged & pleasure to indulge in Southern Fried Vegan's Sunday brunch bowl at SoMa StrEat Food Park's Vegan 2nd Sunday, while visiting San Francisco, October 2015.
Choose the Mac&Cheese, collard greens, topped with BarBQ chicken drizzled with cheesy sauce. WOW! Been vegan for 10 years now, & non vegan food was never this good.
Looking forward to trying more of their tasty food next trip west.

Added May 2016.
Thoroughly enjoyed Southern Fried Vegan at Oakland VegFest, 5/21/16. Irresistible bowl with Mac&Cheese, collards greens, & this time the BarBQ beef flavor with cheesy sauce. As good as it gets! The Philly Cheesesteak was a keeper, too. Looking forward to next opportunity to dine in such delicious-ness.

Updated from previous review on Saturday May 21, 2016

Pros: Delicious food, Ample portions, Affordable prices

Cons: Food park event

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Southern Fried Vegan BBQ closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.