Soupergirl - Carroll St

Contact 202-609-7177

314 Carroll St NW, Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20012

Soup restaurant. Offers vegan soups and salads for eat-in or packaged for takeaway. Seasonal menu rotates daily. Near Takoma Metro. Open Mon-Thu 8:30am-8:00pm, Fri 8:30am-3:00pm, Sun 11:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Fast food, Take-out, Kosher

First Review by Steve1922

Consistently Delicious vegan Soup and More! - Edit

Recently had the Tomato Gazpacho - which was superb. Others soups offered were: Curried Tomato Israeli Couscous, Indian Spice Roasted Eggplant, Quinoa Vegetable Basil, Peach Gazpacho, Beet Gazpacho, Watermelon Gazpacho, Creamy Tomato, Ratatouille, and Split Pea Summer Vegetable.

They also featured a number of salads: Black Eyed Pea Summer Herb, Curried Lentil Quinoa, Gingered Peanut Kale Slaw, Roasted Beet and Barley, Seasonal Garden Salad, Spicy Quinoa String Bean, and Thai Style Cashew Carrot Kale.

And, they had two salads: Caramelized Onion & Mushroom Sandwich and The Veggietopia Sandwich. For dessert, they have chocolate chip cookies!

The soups are consistently great. They are also certified Kosher.

As distinct from their downtown location, there is ample seating here. It is also very convenient to the Tacoma Metro Stop (Red Line).

Pros: Vegan, Kosher, Delicious

a perfect lunch spo - Edit

Soupergirl was a perfect lunch spot. There were 4 different kinds of vegan soups and apparently they rotate which ones are available (check the website daily). To accompany the soup they have homemade vegan baguettes, corn bread, rolls, to go salads and a few desserts. The location we were at had limited seating but there is a sit-down version just outside of the city. Soupergirl was a super, great tasting way to warm up on a cool December day.

Soup that is all vegan - Edit

Every soup is vegan. What's not to like about that? Blended soups, cold soups, hot soups, salads, and even some raw veggies to go but with hummus. Staying for a bit? Plenty of seating in an open style environment.

Not sure if you like this or that? Their 3 fresh soups of the day are on standby for you to try and why not? Yum times three, the order one and dine in or order one and take a few to go.

However, I have to admit that what they have is most appealing to me for it's convenience and commitment to Veganism. What they make is in my opinion, pretty easy to make at home. The overhead costs and time justify their prices, which is what you pay for when purchasing. Supporting a vegan business is important! Still, if I am penny pinching and can cook, I can make my own and be happy or happier

Great flavors and choices!! Nice staff!

Pros: All vegan, Metro friendly, Ingredients provided

Nice place for a quick lunch - Edit

Or breakfast, in my case. This place was located practically next door to the hostel I was staying at in Takoma Park, which I initially assumed would be a blessing, until I realised that I was going to be in central Washington most of the time, and I don't usually fancy soup for breakfast. However, I insisted on dragging my friend here on our final day to take the plunge, and I'm glad I did.

They have three soups each day, which you can try a little taster cup of before ordering, and you can even add unlimited croutons and parsley to your soup (good for roughage and, erm, vitamin parsley). As someone else mentioned, the decor is a little sparse, but I don't have a problem with that, and the friendliness and enthusiasm of the woman behind the counter makes up for it (she also had exactly the same voice as Megan Mullally of Will & Grace and Party Down fame). If you're in a rush, there's a small selection of cold soups and salads you can grab from the fridge as well - if I'd realised that earlier in my trip I probably would have taken some into town with me some days. Next time...

S'oukay - Edit

The cartoon soup chef superhero hanging over Soupgirl is a hometown success story. They delivered subscription pots of (coincidentally vegan/kosher) soup to the kitchen inept and added a retail operation as they grew--directly across from the Takoma Metro.

The cafe itself has that cold post-industrial look which lazy architects love and i suspect everyone else finds, well... cold. Window-facing seating overlooks the sky over the Takoma green which more than makes up for it.

Three pots of self-serve soup for you to choose from (sometimes some bread) and a sparse selection of drinks are your menu. The same are all available for takeout--an option to drop in on your way home.

The soups are fair. It is a vegan soup shop and that's beautiful. And most people are helpless when it comes to making soup, so relativity tempts overstating the case. The 'Girl absolutely kills that ubiquitous "Amy" of horrifically bad store-bought foods fame. That isn't, however, the same as killing at Iron Chef, ya dig? If you make good soups at home, you will be underwhelmed.

But for a decent bowl or three on a cold day, the Soupergirl leaps tall buildings in a single bound.

Odd hours have changed frequently. (Many things Takoma close early on Fridays for Saturday sabbath observers--Adventist, Jewish, etc.)

Pros: vegan, hot soup, at Metro

Cons: just \, spare hours, nothing else to eat

Delicious mushroom soup - Edit

Soupergirl is a casual cafe with vegan soups that you self-serve along one wall, and you can buy additional rolls/bread and salad to go with. There are sit-down tables, too. I tried the wild mushroom soup and it was flavorful, not too rich and absolutely delicious. I didn't try their salad. I wish the staff would trust that you know how to self serve soups, etc. because the place is well marked, but the young vegan enthusiasts are kind and helpful. I would go out of my way to have more of that wild mushroom soup. The location is just across the street from the Takoma Park metro stop, so you don't need a car to get to this restaurant. You could even stop, get some take out, and get back on the metro, if you needed a tasty vegan take home meal. I'm thinking of doing that myself.

Pros: excellent soup, helpful staff

Cons: limited menu

Great Soups - Edit

This is a new restaurant that opened last month and I have been there three time since it opened. All their soups and salads are vegan and have great taste to them. They have three soups daily along with salads. They have chunky and puree soups and their prices are moderate in my opinion. they also have soups and salads to go. They also have a delivery program in which they deliver weekly and they have different price ranges in their delivery program. I will be going there on a fairly consistent basis as it is close to my new job and I am single male so it is convenient for me as well as filling and delicious.

Pros: Good Soups , Fresh daily, friendly staff

Cons: none I can think of

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Soupergirl - Carroll St closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4098 times since Nov 2011.