Soup en zo - Nieuwe Spiegelstraat

Contact 020-3307781

Nieuwe Spiegelstraat 54, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1017 DG

Serves meat, vegan options available. A mostly to-go soups and salads place, menu is around 50% vegetarian, and there is always 1 or 2 vegan soups. Has a small bench outside. Mon-Fri 11:00am-8:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-7:00pm

Category: Western, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by gr8vegan

Great spot - Edit

You will always find at least 4-5 different Vegan soups, along with 3-4 different vegan salad options. Another benifit is that they are always changing their menus and using fresh ingredients.

Although its not a pure vegan restaurant, you'll have no problems finding something you really like.

Average experience… - Edit

We got two soups: mustard with leek and surinam yellow. Both lacked balance and complexity in taste in our opinion. Surinam yellow was hearty, thick and spicy but… lacked something to brake the taste. Something sour? Fresh coriander or mint? The mustard one was truly strange. Maybe I'm not familiar how mustard soup should taste but this one tasted like recipe: fry leek, pour water and mix together with a lot of mustard. The taste had just one level - mustard - and it was really hard to eat this and not mentioning enjoying it. We both didn't finished these soups. Not going to be back.

Great vegan chili - Edit

Had vegan chili at this spot. There were at least 3 or 4 other vegan soups there to choose from.

Will definitely go back. Is a takeout place, with no seating.

Pros: Great vegan chili

Cons: Nowhere to sit

amazing vegan soup - Edit

The staff was very friendly and well informed about what is vegan and what not.
The soups all tasted absolutely amazing.We were in Amsterdam for 8 days and we loved is so much, that we ended up going twice to this place.
They usually have 2-3 freshly-made vegan soups, however they do serve meat and dairy.
If you go there late in the evening they may just have one vegan option, but the one I had was sooo good so I didn't mind at all.

Pros: fresh ingredients, always 2-3 delicious vegan options, really friendly staff

Cons: serve meat and dairy, no sitting area, only take-away

Soup en zo - Edit

The soups here seemed a little expensive to me, at about €5 for about a mugful of soup. My boyfriend and I ordered two vegan soups (there were four we could have chosen from that day - it was a hard choice as they all sounded amazing!). They were hearty and delicious, served with a fresh scone. I had a Thai-style bean soup, and my boyfriend a spinach soup. I would definitely go back. I imagine in winter it's a bit of a pain as there is only a bench outside to sit on to eat your soup. It seems like a busy little spot.

Great soup! - Edit

We found this location during a bike ride and this was a perfect place to grab a small lunch. There were about 12 soups on the board and only 2 were not vegetarian. There were probably 4 vegan soups and they all sounded good. I got the tomato basil pesto soup (without the pesto because it has cheese) and found it to be very good. If you want to sit inside and eat your food, you should go to the other location, as this one doesn't have indoor seating. Otherwise there is a small bench outside where you can enjoy your soup.

Awesome vegan selection! - Edit

There are usually 3 vegan soups. The women who works at this location is vegan herself and very knowledgeable about the soups. The breads are not vegan. We went with small soups, lentil and cassava (AMAZING) and you can enjoy them on a little bench outside. Next time we're in Amsterdam we'll definitely get a large soup to bring back to the apartment for dinner, they both were amazing!

Pros: 3 vegan soups, cassava soup

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Soup en zo - Nieuwe Spiegelstraat closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3016 times since Jul 2009.