Soup en zo - Jodenbreestraat

Contact 020-4222243

Jodenbreestraat 94A, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1011 NS

Serves meat, vegan options available. A mostly to-go soups and salads place, menu is around 50% vegetarian, and there is always 2-3 vegan soups. Has a small bench outside. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-8:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-7:00pm.

Category: Western, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by beetred

Nice place - Edit

Since 1,5 year I've been getting soup here weekly and not bored yet - that says enough, right? Always multiple vegan options for soup and salads, freshly made. Sometimes its very crowded and theres not much seating available. If you come late, options are sometimes limited, so could also be out of vegan ones.

Pros: vegan options, very tasteful and sometimes surprising soups

Cons: also serves meat

Great soup, but only to take-away - Edit

Like others of the chain this is always a reliable bet for a nice hot soup, and there are usually two or three vegan soups and one of two vegan salads, unless you go towards closing time. It's a good place to try some interesting combinations and flavours such as spinach or chick pea, but the menu might change so don't rely on getting your favourite. My main issue is that this is really only a take-away place, and although they do package up the soup securely, I'm always worried it will spill everywhere on the way home! That's my problem though, not theirs!

Pros: quality

Cons: take-away only, low stock in the evenings

delicious! - Edit

This was such an unexpected treat in the heart of the tourist area. I had some Moroccan chickpea soup and an avocado black bean salad. The people there are also really funny and adorable. They let you taste the different soups so you can pick. They were all tasty but the Moroccan one was just outstanding.

Pros: bar facing the street with stools so the solo trav, price, people

Cons: they were out of one soup

amazing vegan soup - Edit

The staff was very friendly and well informed about what is vegan and what not.
The soups all tasted absolutely amazing and. We were in Amsterdam for 8 days and we loved is so much, that we ended up going twice to this place.
They usually have 2-3 freshly-made vegan soups, howeever the do serve meat and dairy.
If you go there late in the evening they may just have one vegan option, but the one I had was sooo good so I didn't mind at all.

Pros: fresh ingredients, always 2-3 delicious vegan options, really friendly staff

Cons: serve meat and dairy, no sitting area, only take-away

Very good soup - Edit

I went there on my second day in Amsterdam, and came back a few days later. I asked them witch soups were vegan, and there were three the first time and four or five the next time. I got to taste them before I decided witch ones I wanted to buy. I ate a black eyed pea-soup and a sweetroot-soup the first time and a dhal-soup and a pumpkin-soup the second time.
They were all very good, but my favourite was the black-eyed pea.
By ordering two small cups, you can try two different soups.
It was not very expensive, and without paying extra, you get a piece of vegan bread, too.
They actually have about six tables outside, so it is possible to sit down.

Pros: Great tasting soup, Cheap, Easy to find out what is vegan

Cons: Very busy place

Super, thanks for asking! - Edit

This was the closest vegan-friendly place to my hotel and I was very pleasantly surprised. About half of their soups are vegetarian (at least 5) and when I asked about which were vegan, all except one were, even the "creamy" ones, which used coconut milk. I got pumpkin something and it was delicious! So good, I went back a few days later and had an even more delicious spinach potato soup. They told me the rolls were vegan and they seemed fine (no upset stomach like I usually get if I accidentally have dairy). Eating outside at the tables was delightful in May (2012).

Pros: good selection, delicious soup, knowledgeable staff

Good soup - Edit

I had no idea the bread was not vegan- that would come as a surprise. The soup I got was nice though. The prices seem very low, but the small and medium sizes of soup would make a pretty small meal. Still, it's not expensive. It can be crowded. When I went, there were two vegan soup choices. One con is that they don't designate which items are vegan- and I didn't ask about the bread because bread here is typically vegan. Maybe it has changed since the prior review? Unfortunately I didn't think to ask.

Pros: tasty, good value, friendly

Cons: vegan items not marked, don't know about bread!, crowded

Great place for a warm lunch - Edit

They have well made soup here. A constantly changing menu keeps things interesting; though for vegan travelers it may be a bit of an inconvenience since they may not be serving any vegan options when you visit - I never had that problem. The food was good, and sized as a nice lunch. The price's are low. Well worth a visit for lunch, especially on those cold days.

Pros: good, healthy food, good value, friendly staff

Cons: small place

Nice! - Edit

The place was vary small, but there were tables outside. I think they were vary busy, cause the soup i wanted was sold out. However, the one i got was very good :) It was very cheap, and very vegan-friendly.

Pros: vegan-friendly, cheap, good food

Cons: not enough tables

great soups and salads - Edit

Get soups and salads to-go, or eat it outside on the bench. Usually there are at least 2 vegan soups per day and one vegan salad dressing. None of the bread is vegan, but this may change, so ask. So fresh, so delicious.

Pros: vegan options, hot soups, large salads

Cons: bread not vegan, only to-go

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Soup en zo - Jodenbreestraat closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2441 times since Jul 2009.