Soul Vegetarian South

Contact 404-752-5194

879 Ralph D Abernathy Blvd SW, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 30310

Vegan American comfort soul food, with exception of honey used in a couple items. Open Tue-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 10:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Take-out, African

First Review by kimmie2072

Generous Portions and Warm Welcome - Edit

I tried Soul Vegetarian South's Sunday brunch waddled away full and content. The brunch included pancakes or biscuits and a selection of breakfast items to choose from. I tried the biscuits with vegan sausage, "seafood" croquettes, and roasted veggies - a sizable meal that I wasn't quite able to finish (packed away a biscuit for later).

The restaurant has a nice community feel - everyone was friendly and seemed to know each other. The host was very attentive, explaining each dish to us before we ordered.

Pros: Big portions, Affordable, Friendly atmosphere

Delicious with Great Ambiance - Edit

The food here is as comforting and wonderful as the staff. The atmosphere is relaxing and work-conducive for people on working lunch breaks. All the menu items seem to be of good quality and the salad/vegetable selection is impeccable.

Pros: Great Ambiance, Friendly Staff, Yummy Food

So so Sunday Brunch - Edit

Glad Soul Vegetarian offers a filling mostly vegan (serves honey) Sunday brunch in Atlanta's west end neighborhood. Disappointed that the taste and quality of the food is not as delicious & flavorful as it has been on previous visits.
Tofu scramble was good, though only lightly seasoned, made munch better by adding the season-all condiment. The seasoned potatoes with onions, garlic & bell peppers were excellent, crisply tender wedges sautéed without being greasy. Good cheese grits, lightly seasoned, no lumps. Flaky biscuits, though only lukewarm. Broccoli was over cooked, somewhat mushy & cold despite being on the buffet warming tray under lights. Sausage patty/vegetable croquet was only lightly seasoned, yet moist & tasty. Also available, but not tried, were pancakes.
Service was spotty; had to ask for water. Procedure for buffet not posted; what was included, what was extra, had to ask about pricing, food was not labeled, where to pay, beverages/water & whether to serve oneself or whether waitstaff would bring to table. Also, trays for carrying food not replenished.
Someone unfamiliar with vegan food might have been discouraged by lack of posted labels.
Limited hours for Sunday brunch, 10am-1pm, & our 12pm arrival may have accounted for the food not being warm, if it had been sitting out for a while. Still it was under lights on warming trays. Should not have affected the flavor, though.
Plan to revisit restaurant next visit to area to sample other menu items and find out if what was once known as "Atlanta's best mac & cheese" is still worthy of the title.
Parking an issue, less so on Sunday when on street parking is available.

Pros: Vegan, except for honey, Sunday brunch buffet

Cons: Cold food, Borderline bland , No parking lot, busy area

Lunch - Edit

Hungry for something eat and reluctant to visit Soul Vegetarian South. We decided to go for it.
What a huge disappointment. I had vegan mac and cheese, cornbread, pinto beans and rice and I assume collard greens. Over twenty years of being vegan and born and raised down south, I ‘m pretty sure the collard greens was frozen not fresh and the yams my friend had was right out of the can. The vegan mac and cheese was over powered by nutritional yeast, very rich and oily. The beans and rice had absolutely no taste-just bland. I cannot recommend and will never visit there again.

Updated from previous review on Monday November 30, 2015

Pros: decent environment

Cons: sweet cornbread, not interested in customers concerns, not soul vegan food

Vegan Soul Food - Edit

This restaurant is wonderful!!! The people who work here are very kind and hospitable, and the food is so good you may be licking your plate at the end.

You walk to the cases in the back, look at all the food options, and take your pick. You can get a meal with two sides + corn bread and a side salad, a veggie plate that consists of three sides, or just a side or two. I had their mac n cheese, kale greens, and candied sweet potatoes. DELICIOUS. The baked mac n cheese is especially garlicky, which I love (it's officially tied for 1st place best mac n cheese in the USA with the baked mac n cheese from Quickie Too in Tacoma, WA). Along with the warm food they have a case of "live" (aka raw) foods you get per scoop. They're also totally tummy. Finally, they have shakes, ice cream, and desserts if you have any room left. Go eat here!!!!!!! It's totally worth it.

Pros: Wonderfully kind staff, Black owned and operated, Large portions

Amazing Every Time - Edit

I have eaten at Soul Veg many times, and each time it is consistently wonderful. The staff is always friendly and welcoming, the service is excellent, and it is the best vegan soul food in Atlanta, hands down. Make sure to try the mac and cheese, you won't be sorry!

Pros: Excellent Brunch, Great Soul Food, Friendly Staff

Welcome To The Garden InSide - Edit

Alittle spaced out ,not cleary defined as what too door where.
To go.they have juice bar,but its hidden.they have buffet but they slow to tell us

Pros: Good Food, Good Food, Good Food

Cons: A Little Slow Off The Mark, Too Dark, To Slow With Some Items

Best Vegan Soul Food I've Ever Had! - Edit

I've been to Souley Vegan in Oakland, CA several times and I knew after my first visit here that this is the best vegan soul food ever. The collard greens are the bomb, mac and cheese and candied yams are amazing, and the fish cakes and tartar sauce were delicious. Staff was friendly and helpful and I liked the wood-beam interior. I would be at this place all the time if I lived in the area. Don't be deterred by the neighborhood -- it's worth it.

Delicious delicious delicious - Edit

I love the Soul Veg chain. The people are extremely friendly, the food is great, and - if you aren't in a rush - the service is fine.

Definitely recommend going here.

Pros: All-veg, Very friendly

Cons: Uses honey

Real Vegan Soul - Edit

One word: Pizza. While pizza might be a far cry from soul food, Soul Veg's Friday special pizza is a serious hit! Customer's come to the restaurant on Friday specifically for the pizza alone. And they buy 2 rectangle slices at a time. (The slices are nice-sized and filling.) Salivation! lol Very popular restaurant. This Soul Veg has a hot bar and a grill menu to order from. The hot bar always has Mac and cheese (one of the biggest sellers... but not my favorite honestly), brown rice, bean curd gravy, candied yams, broccoli, cornbread and 2 featured soups-- most of the time split pea and orange lentil. There are also daily specials that are featured on the hot bar-- of which the pizza is the favorite. The other daily specials featured regularly when I used to go there were the BBQ Tofu, burritos, stir-fry spaghetti, jerk tofu and southern steak. All pretty good. The grill, on the other hand is hit or miss. Depends on who is on the grill that shift. The grill features all types of vegan burgers (thumbs up), battered baskets (mushrooms, tofu etc..... too oily), stir-fried rice (hit or miss), etc. They also have live salad selections which, again, are great on some days, bland on others. But when its good, it's good! The deserts are great. The restaurant also has a smoothie bar which is AWESOME!!!!! And they sell DELICIOUS ice cream. Sunday morning they open early for brunch which includes hot pancakes, scrambled tofu hash browns, biscuits, etc. Friendly service. Family atmosphere. Large seating area. Clean. Only thing I'm not too crazy about are the prices-- leans a bit on the pricey side for a dinner plate-- around $15... and on the wrong side of town too. But if the latter and former are not issues for you. Go for it!!!!!

Pros: 100% vegan, Tasty, Smoothies and ice cream bar

Cons: pricey, not a safe location

Yummy vegan shakes! - Edit

I had gone to their Highland location so I called this one to inquire if their menu was different and they said yes, but it was basically the same menu, just a few tweaks. But that's ok. I got the country fried seitan and greens again, since they were very good. My intention was to make it to their brunch, but I missed it. :( This location looked a lot better on the inside though (compared to the Highland location)... Very spacious and it appeared to have been recently re-modeled. This location also had more dessert options, which is right up my alley! There was a smoothie bar in the back (off to the side) and I had a yummilicious berry shake! And I was so excited as I bought several vegan strawberry cakes to take back home with me. However, when I got home I discovered that it was way too dry to my liking. I love moist cakes. So needless to say, I was beyond disappointed. As a matter of fact, their cornbread was also very dry. Maybe that's just how they cook their cakes and breads? I'll pass. But I'd go back for the shakes, greens, and country fried seitan!

Also, this location is close to the Clark, Spelman, Morehouse, Clark college/university campuses. So it's a great alternative to fast food for the busy and on-a-budget student.
Updated from previous review on Sunday April 17, 2011

Pros: affordable, nice portions, smoothie,shake,ice cream bar

Cons: parking

Outstanding place with a welcoming atmosphere - Edit

My wife and I ate lunch there for the first time the day after valentines day. upon walking in the door we were greeted with great smiles. eager to make our first experience here a success, we were explained the lunch special and given a chance to peruse the menu. taking enthusiastic advice from the server, we chose the lunch special. jerk tofu, mac, and collard greens, along with cornbread. fantastic! absolutely fantastic! every aspect of out visit was super pleasant. vegan heaven! i can't even explain how good the food is, but what made it even better was the attention to us. great food is....great, but it is even better when it is served by people that care. people that care about what they are doing and who they are doing it for. my wife and i will be back every chance we get to, when we are down in atlanta

Pros: friendly staff, great ambiance, healthy cuisine

Cons: none

Great Food - Edit

The food at Soul Vegetarian is very good. I had a great Split Pea soup and the Kale Bone sandwich that unfortunately had no kale. My waiter did not know the menu even though he had been working at the restaurant for 5 weeks. The other staff members were more helpful and told me what I should order the next visit. The restaurant is very close to the airport and is worth a visit.

Pros: Reasonable Prices, Lots of Variety, Excellent Quality

Cons: Slow Service, Limited menu knowledge of the waiter, Challenging Parking

Decent Vegan Food - Edit

I ate at Soul Vegetarian while visiting Atlanta, and had their Sunday brunch. During brunch hours you can pick 3 of their sides and then your choice of biscuits or pancakes. I had scrambled tofu, tofu seaweed croquettes, sauteed veggies, and pancakes. First off, it was a TON of food. I ate most of it, but probably shouldn't have. Also, everything was pretty good, but very greasy. The tofu could have been more flavorful as well, but it wasn't bad. The pancakes were delicious, but again, very greasy. The service was great, since I had never been there before, the server let me sample all of the sides in order to pick which ones I wanted, which was nice. In addition to the sides that I ordered, they also had some sort of tofu cutlets (sort of a mock-baco) fried potaotes, grits, and soy sausage patties. If I had more time to eat at Soul Vegetarian to try their standard menu, I would go back.
The atmosphere was pleasant. Other reviews have mentioned the place looked dirty, but I did not notice that at all.

Pros: Big portions, Good variety

Cons: Very greasy

Randy here to save you a stomach ache - Edit

One word, unprofessional. Their food taste descent one Monday, but on Tuesday... not so descent. Also I've found their food to be extremely greasy, almost like they use oil as a topping, or condiment. If you're dining in, you'll notice salt shakers... You're gonna need them.
It wasn't that bad, the first time I dined there. But the second time, I went home with a stomach ache of unbelievable agony... Don't touch the "Mac n cheese", "cornbread", "Collard greens", or any of their soups.

Pros: quiet, during the day

Cons: The servants are men with messy beards, Unsanitary

Soul Satisfying - Edit

Every time I am in Atlanta I make a conscious effort to eat here. The male servers always address me as "brother" and make me feel welcome. Soul and comfort food items are my favorite so this place is a blessing. The salad dressing is incredible and the macaroni and cheese is a must as well.

Pros: Great Food, Salad Dressing

Return to Atlanta Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Soul Vegetarian South closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.