Soul Tavern

305-925-0799

1801 West Ave, Miami Beach, Florida, USA, 33139

Vegetarian restaurant and bar, est. summer 2017. Offers a varied fusion menu from pizza and maki rolls to tacos and small plates. Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-3:00pm, Mon-Wed 6:00pm-12:00am, Thu-Sat 6:00pm-1:00am, Sun 6:00pm-12:00am.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Fusion

First Review by Julie-go-vegan

Love this place! - Edit

Soul Tavern has amazing vegan food (some items are normally vegetarian but most can be veganized upon request). Everything we tried was excellent, including the mushroom tacos, soul salad, pesto pizza, and kimchi sliders. The ambiance is upscale but relaxed, and there is a beautiful outdoor patio. It’s a little pricy, but definitely worth it!

Pros: Excellent food , Great atmosphere

Cons: A little pricey

Bad Food, Bad Service. - Edit

The app won’t let me give 1 star for some reason, but that’s what I’m giving it. The food was bland, at best, and super expensive.

We sat down and right off ordered the “It’s Good To Be King” - which is a sushi roll that costs $16. We ordered this as an appetizer for the table and then took some time before placing our dinner orders.

My mother ordered the burger - they were out of the vegan bun, so she got the gluten free bun which also happens to be vegan, I ordered the eggplant medallion, and my friend ordered the mushroom tacos. We also ordered a side of the sautéed wild mushrooms for the table. And then we waited... and waited... and waited some more. A table next to us was sat long after us and got all of their food before we even got our appetizer... The sushi roll. We were there for about an hour before any food came out, and I had to flag down a bus boy and ask him to inquire, as we had been sitting for a long time with nothing to eat. No bread for the table. Nothing. Just filtered water, which they charge for.

Finally our sushi roll came out. It was nothing special. I can get similar quality sushi at the grocery store. Next the mushrooms came. A tiny side. They were good, but nothing I can’t easily make at home. Then we sat again with nothing for about 15 more minutes before my mother’s burger came out. And nothing else. She shared her yucca fries with us, and we asked her to please eat her food so it wouldn’t get cold. She said the bun was disgusting. She scraped off the bun, which was the majority of the meal, and ate the filling, which was hardly anything.

While we were waiting with a single entree on the table, one of the managers brought a very small appetizer (hemp seed encrusted edamame) for my friend and I to share. I wasn’t able to try it, as I am allergic to it, but he said it was not exceptional.

Finally our meals came. The ratatouille was alright, but the eggplant medallions were so full of grease they were inedible. My friend’s tacos were ok, but just boring and not worth the money. He ate what I didn’t eat of mine because the tacos weren’t enough food for him and he won’t let food go to waste like that. Especially at those prices.

Here’s the kicker. As we were eating our entrees, they brought out repeats of our appetizers. Like... why? No one offered us any choice of some free dessert or an opportunity to try something different. The manager never gave us any attention or asked how we liked the food, and quite frankly, that whole meal should’ve been comped. We tried the carrot cake at the end of the meal, and even that was just blah.

On top of all of that, the place was so loud you practically had to yell over the dinner table.

So, don’t waste your time. Go to Full Bloom instead. That place is amazing, the food is truly gourmet, the prices are comparable, and literally everything about that place is the bomb, whereas Soul Tavern bombed big time.

Must try! - Edit

This place is so amazing. The ambiance is nice, patio is cozy but most of all the food is to die for. I tried as much as I could possibly eat for one person lol.. can’t wait to come back and try more! Go on yelp to see more photos. They have only been open a few months and there are already 200 photos there.

Must try the mushroom ceviche! - Edit

Really good! Beautiful presentation and attentive service. My absolute favorite hands down was the mushroom ceviche. It was done Peruvian style with lime juice and thinly shaved red onion and sweet potato and choclo. The only thing missing was the jugito. But it was amazing!!! You could fool a seafood eater. The texture was spot on and the mushrooms were the perfect vehicle for absorbing the acid in the lime juice. So so good!!

The gnocchi was also good - especially the touch of the herbed cream. The gyoza was also perfectly pan fried (although I was hoping that jackfruit would have more of that pulled meat texture and it was a little mushy). Still super tasty. I also loved the lighter alcohol cocktails. I had the one with gin and kumbucha and it was delicious!

A little pricy but worth it. I'd be curious to see how their happy hour is. Overall a really good experience!

Bland but nice atmosphere - Edit

Tried a few dishes and even though the presentation was spot on, the food was a bit bland. Atmosphere was on point though. I'd try again, but wouldn't have high hopes.

Return to Miami Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Soul Tavern closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.