Soul Food

Contact 2123-4311

76 Merchants Street, Valletta, Malta,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Several vegetarian and vegan choices including pastas, salads, vegan meatballs, and couscous with veggies. Also offer fresh squeezed juices. Open Mon-Fri 10:30am-6:00pm, Sun 10:30am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Italian, Juice bar, Non-veg

First Review by joel

Klein aber fein - Edit

Hier gibt es italienische und ayurvedische Küche, klar gekennzeichnete vegane und vegetarische Gerichte, Bio-Weine und frische Säfte. Die Atmosphäre ist nett, die Bedienung sehr freundlich, nur der Platz innerhalb des Restaurants ist auf zwei kleine Tische begrenzt. Mehr Platz und Tische gibt es in der Fußgängerzone.

Pros: Vegan und vegetarisch, Leckeres Essen, Lieferservice

Cons: Nur zwei Tische im Restaurant, Nicht richtig preisgünstig, Kleine Toilette

Laid-back and unpretentious - Edit

Eating dinner on the side of the road on a warm summer's night watching the world go by, was the apt setting for our meal at Soul Food.

It has a laid-back and unpretentious feel to it, which is admirable for one of the only vegan-friendly options in Valletta.

There's a substantial and appealing menu to choose from, with prices averaging €8-10.

I went for the vegan lentil burger dish served with vegetable couscous, salad and satay dressing. It was a huge and colourful plate and I admittedly couldn't finish it, but did enjoy nonetheless.

If I'm being completely honest, the patty itself was nothing special, and when you know how good a veggie burger can be, disappointing to be eating something a little uninspired.

However, the salad, couscous and nutty satay dressing were all lovely and it was a plentiful plate of healthy goodness.

A great but not mind-blowing option in Valletta city.

Pros: Healthy food, Large, colourful serves, Great outdoor seating

Cons: Lentil patty a little plain, Limited opening hours

mediocre - Edit

horrible service, we where seated upstairs and the waitress didn't bring salt or paper on the table we had to get up and get them ourselves plus we complained about it being hot (it was 1pm) we where boiling and the waitress did not turn on a fan or ac... as for food, I took the vegan soya burger and it wasn't in a bun and wasn't even cooked well it was watery and tasted like it had been boiled. the "salad" was just lettuce and seads and over all very mediocre and not worth 12 Euros, when in other places for half that price you could get better food, service and environment

Cons: expensive , not good food , bad service

Good flat breads, but why the meat? - Edit

Nice place in the heart of Valletta with some outdoor seating. Mainly vegetarian with some good vegan options, the flatbreads (Piadina) with different vegan burger options stuffed inside were lovely for lunch. Had a vegan Brownie which was dry and frankly vile, like they'd used nothing to bind it together. Why oh why are they serving meat options though? They advertise it as a veggie, vegan healthy eatery, yet have ham on the menu? Seems to be a strange message and considering almost every other restaurant in Valletta serves meat it seems totally unnecessary.

Pros: Friendly, pleasant place, Well located, Tasty vegan options

Cons: Vegan brownie was vile, Meat? Why meat?

Lovely space, but disappointing vegan food - Edit

I was thrilled to discover this vegan friendly restaurant near the apartment we were staying in. It has a small cafe on the ground floor, but if you head upstairs there are more tables and a cosy atmosphere. The majority of the food is vegetarian but there are some vegan options which my husband and I tried. Unfortunately the food we chose (the lentil and soya burger with salad and bread) were lacking in imagination. The homemade bread was delicious but the burger itself was almost completely without flavour, and the salad on the side was a bit sad. The vegetarian pasta dishes that were being eaten by those around us looked lovely and were a nice portion size. I am glad this restaurant exists, and I hope that they develop their vegan menu as it really is a nice space.

Pros: The space

Cons: The flavourless vegan food

good choice vegan and vegetarian .... but not only - Edit

excellent choice of homemade dishes made at time.
Express service even if the kitchen is small, but the staff is dynamic and professional. Organic wines, Italian craft beer, the Ayurvedic and homemade desserts. good girls

Pros: creativity, professional staff, excellent varieties

Cons: -, -, -

Not worth the money - Edit

This place is quite expensive but it is also the worst food I have had in Malta. They heated up my couscous in a microwave oven and I am really against such ovens and the prices are too high for a place that microwaves your food. Also it was rather tasteless and I regretted going there. I saw that they make the smoothies with packaged orange juice. That is unacceptable, these juices are not fresh, nor healthy.
I wouldn't go again, very disappointed.

Pros: One of the staff members was actually friendly.

Cons: expensive, tasteless, microwaves the food

Pleasant little spot - Edit

A small oasis in an area where veggie/vegan food is somewhat sparse. Unsophisticated, but tasty with pleasant service.

Pros: Mixed menu so caters for all

Cons: Not entirely Vegan but understandable in this area

small restaurant .... great heart... - Edit

we are affected by so many local people who enter this small restaurant,,, with tables outside and in a room above ... the dishes were very colorful and with great smell .... then we sat down and a waitress Italian welcomed us and shown the menu,,, with lots of vegetarian and vegan dishes,,, and daily specials .... we celebrated my birthday with two bottles, a prosecco vegan friendly and a brut organic... super ... .flatbread piadina made at the time and then homemade desserts .... we love you ... thanks for the good time and happy atmosphere....

Special Food....Special SOUL FOOD - Edit

special food,,, great atmosphere and good music SOUL,,, freshly prepared meals,,,, fresh pasta and potato gnocchi homemade .... craft beers and wine bio ... I highly recommend it
waiters available in the reception proposals or advice
they called a taxi to go to the airport .... all very exciting

Non è per vegani e salutisti - Edit

Esperienza negativa. Sono stata in questo locale che si definisce "vegan friendly" proprio perché a Malta è quasi impossibile trovare qualcosa di simile. Le recensioni facevano sperare bene. La prima volta non ero rimasta per nulla convinta, in quanto non hanno farine integrali (un posto che si chiama soul food che abbia solo farina raffinata non promette già bene). Essendo appunto vegana, ma non solo (perché non mangio alcun tipo di prodotto confezionato, surgelato, raffinato, zuccherato) abbiamo deciso ,insieme ad un gruppo di amici di trascorrere la sera di capodanno in questo posto , proprio per l'alternativa alimentare che poteva offrirmi.
Bene, ho ordinato un brasato di soia (che non mi è piaciuto di gusto ) ho scoperto che si trattava di hamburger di soia surgelati 0.0 contenenti ALBUME (NEL MENÙ ERA SPECIFICATO SI TRATTASSE DI PIATTO VEGAN) e tante altre schifezze che non sono qui a raccontare...
Detto questo, sono rimasta davvero delusa dalla scorrettezza dei proprietari che hanno vantato il loro prosecco vegano e mi hanno poi propinato l'hamburger con albume surgelato (terribile!!!)..
Ovviamente ho fatto presente la cosa ed hanno fatto finta di essersene resi conto sul momento, dando colpe al fornitore. Una cosa di cui sono sicura è che quando mettete piede in quest'isola vi dimenticate la qualità che serviamo in Italia ai tavoli...

Inoltre , se fossi stata allergica all'albume adesso mi troverei in ospedale.

Mi sento gravemente lesa in quanto non sono state rispettate le mie idee salutistiche ed etiche.

L'unica cosa che mi è stata detta è : "ci scusiamo per l'inconveniente"..

Ho avuto mal di stomaco e senso di vomito per tutta la sera. Abbiamo anche speso moltissimo.

Non aggiungo altro, anche se avrei tanto da dire.

small, cosy place with a good selection of vegan items - Edit

Very cosy place, with friendly staff. A good selection of vegan dishes: I had homemade chickpea burger with salad and a hot spicy cuscus, followed by a nice lemon sponge cake. They also offer vegan piadina, Ayurvedic dishes, and a good selection of smoothies and hot chocolate made with soy milk.

Pros: centrally located, nice food, welcoming staff

Cons: very small

Good option in a good location - Edit

It is not vegan but there are different vegan options: burgers, salad, desserts, etc..

Near Grand Master's Palace

Pros: vegan options, good food, good location

Cons: too slow when it is busy, it is not vegan

Soul should be your Goal - Edit

A good selection of veggie options including different burgers served with buns or salads. Fresh and homemade. In a very central location with indoor and outdoor seating. Definitely recommended.

Pros: homemade food, good selection, friendly service

Cons: moderate size portions

Lovely tucked away place - Edit

Such a nice find :) staff members were so sweet and the options were plentiful! Very chilled, not that big so might be hard to find seating at peak times :) but one of my favorites in Malta!

Pros: Really yummy food, Good vegan options

Good idea, could be better - Edit

There are a few vegan options in valletta these days, and we tried to get to as many as possible. Soul Food was one of them. I found them a bit expensive for the size of the portions presented. The name confused me, Soul Food for me means some type of comfort food, but the sandwich was so small, and dry (not toasted in oil, just dry bread), and plain--it felt more like diet food, which considering Maltese portions elsewhere, that may not be bad. Basically I think it would be better if the food lives a bit more up to its name, was a little bit bigger. We also wish the menu mentioned what kind of bread it was toasted on, as we felt it was not that nice (plain american like toast bread). Staff is friendly, a lot of options for vegans, a few small modifications would make it better.

Pros: Lots of organic options, Good location, A variety of options

Cons: Small portions for price of meal, A bit dry and tasteless, opening hours

very good! - Edit

We went here twice during our short visit to Malta for a wedding. We can recommend this place, the food was very nice and affordable, and the staff was friendly. Too bad they aren't open for dinner, because finding vegan or gluten-free & vegetarian dinner on Malta was quite an ordeal.

Pros: really good food, friendly staff, nice location

Cons: not open for dinner

The only good vegan option in Valetta - Edit

I visited Soul Food during my trip around Malta. It has a nice and cosy atmosphere. The choice for food is not very large, but it has a good selection of vegan foods. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The place is very small, only few table upstairs but it wasn't busy when I was there.

I had a lentil & leek burger which was served with spicy couscous and salad. The burger was slightly dry but overall I really liked the food. The prices are very affordable.

Malta definitely needs more places like this one.

Pros: good value, friendly staff

Very Good Food - Edit

On our vacation of 7days i've planed that we were going to eat at soul food's and i'm glad we did! We were with a vegan(me) a vegetarian (my boyfriend) and my mother in law and we all had a great meal! The burgers with the special bread , we didn't know, were very tasty. We bought some some more of it and i had a vegan pasta arrabiatta. It was very good! But you have to love spicy food, because it was pretty hot ;) the people are really friendly, goood service! And when we got bad an other day, they were closing... and still remembered us from earlier that week. Tomorrow we're going again!

Pros: Good Service, Not Expensive, Cosy Restaurant

Soul Food vegan meals in the heart of Valletta - Edit

Amazing tasty vegan food served in the heart of medieval Valletta! Soul food has been open about 6 months and the menu includes lots of tasty vegan dishes. The owners are Italian and this is reflected in the dishes. Can you believe we had a 7 course vegan meal on Christmas Day!! Amazing (I have attached a photo of the menu).
They also serve local wines, teas, coffees, smoothies, cakes, sandwiches and you can sit outside, downstairs or upstairs.
Friendly staff, great service, very easy-going, etc etc.
Vegans will not believe their luck!

Pros: Vegan options, Friendly staff, Atmospheric setting

Only decent vegetarian option in Valetta - Edit

Nice, cozy place with tasty food. I've tried artichoke pasta which was very good. Note: Pasta very al dente; if you don't like it that way, you should probably ask for another preparation. Vegan and vegetarian options are clearly indicated on the menu. It looked like there is a bigger room upstairs (other entrance) which belong also to "Soul Food", but I wasn't there.

Pros: friendly stuff, good music

Cons: small serving

A vegan oasis in Valletta - Edit

A vegan oasis in Valletta, on a recent visit, all three of their daily specials were vegan in honour of World Vegan Day. We visited several times and enjoyed their food, juices/smoothies, and desserts.

Return to Valletta Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Soul Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.