REMOVED: Soul Food Cafe

Contact 03- 9419-2949

273 Smith St, Fitzroy, Victoria, VIC 3065

Serves meat, vegan options available. Previously all-veg but no longer, as reported to happycow Oct 2012. Offers American food like wraps, veggie burgers, cakes, desserts, vegan ice cream. Large dining area and jazzy atmosphere. Next door to a health food and organic store. JAN 2013 REPORTED CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP AND NO LONGER VEG, REMOVED. Open .

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Soul Food, Non-veg

First Review by lisacrock

Once an institution, now a disappointment. - Edit

After many years of loving Soulfood cafe, I looked forward to my brunch today.

I was disappointment to see that it had changed hands, but despite my instincts, decided to eat there anyway. I will never make that mistake again.

The staff (when you could find anyone) had no idea what was going on. Absolutely hopeless!

The menu is a shadow of its former glory, and when the food arrived, my partner and I were bitterly disappointed. A bowl of beanshoots and grated carrot with soy sauce is not what I expected of a n asian salad.

I am sad to see that Collingwood has lost what was a great Vegetarian restaurant.

Avoid this place.

Cons: Service - abysmal., Limited menu.

Not vegetarian anymore! - Edit

Although a majority of the menu items are still vegetarian, they now sadly serve meat here!!

Furthermore, they didn't explain or advertise this.
So, when they served my friend pasta with chorizo, she assumed it was mock-meat. Only afterwards, when we asked the waiter, were we shocked to find out that it had been real pig meat. She's a Jewish vegetarian, so it was offensive on two counts!

No apology from the waiter either, who didn't even offer to waive the price of the meal (which I thought was the least they could have done!)

Having said all that, my lentil burger was quite good... but still after this bad experience, I won't be going back.

Pros: many veg items on menu

Cons: Now serves meat

It was ok - Edit

Nothing overly special the food was ok kind of what I cook at home so for me a bit over priced. The place and staff were not particularly clean so put me off going again.

Pros: Filled a gap, Good portions

Cons: A bit basic, Not very clean

Birthday scoffing! - Edit

This was the first place I ever ate vegan cake. I loved it when I was a new vegan, scoffing salads and burgers and cake..and more cake.
Like all great loves, the passion died down and I played around with others. My mum's birthday was coming up and I wanted to take her somewhere different and I suddenly remembered Soul Food - it had been years! So off we set!

First up was cake, the most important thing. We shared a raspberry coconut muffin and the mud cake (both vegan). We were impressed - I loved the rich moistness of the cake and Mum struggled to share the muffin.
Next was a lentil soup. I actually can't stand soup, so wasn't expecting to enjoy it but combined with the bread that it came with I was really surprised. It was a massive serving even though it was an entree. Brilliant.
Finally we got to our mains...we were stuffed by then so had them to go. We had the wild rice salad and lentil patty. I ended up eating mine an hour or so later and even though it had gone cold it was still pretty impressive. I particularly liked the rice salad. It wasn't as good as some other patty's I've had, but still worth the price.

Staff were lovely as well, both the girl waiting on us and the guy behind the counter.
Great atmosphere, we got a lovely window seat too.
Definitely will be heading back...
...you always remember your first, afterall.

Pros: friendly staff, good value, great vegan choice

Amazing!!! - Edit

This place was fantastic... everything the Vegie Bar wasn't. We were only able to come for brunch - but what a brunch it was. The Vegan Monsta is probably the best vegan breakfast I've ever had. Their muffins are spectacular. The home made baked beans were great, and everything getting prepared for lunch looked great. Do not miss!!!

Pros: atmosphere, portions big, price

Cons: nothing....

Healthy food - Edit

a great range of Vegetariana dn vego food. Great lentil patties, samosas, salads and sweets. Lovely drink including smoothies. Lovely and friendly staff. BEST vegan chocoalte cake i've ever had ADDICTIVE!!! The soul fries for dinner are great, lovely burgers.

Pros: organic food, healthy value for money

Cons: dinne menu different

It really does feed your soul! - Edit

It's the earthy vibe, the wholefoods and the ambience- makes you want to absorb it all! They do some good salads, that change regularly. The riceballs are yummo and they usually have some vegan cake. Nice place to sit and read at, no pressure, no pretences..it's all good.

Pros: food fantastic, healthy, earthy

Return to Fitzroy Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has REMOVED: Soul Food Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 160 times since Aug 2007.