CLOSED: Soul Camp

+852-23368891

Shop 2, 1/F, Cheong Ning Shopping Centre, Tsuen Cheong Centre, 202-216 Sai Lau Kok Rd, Tsuen Wan, New Territories, Hong Kong, China

Vegan friendly vegetarian fusion cuisine. Some dairy used (vegans should always ask). Located in Kowloon til 2015. Nearest MTR - Tsuen Wan exit B2. Address in local language 荃灣西樓角道荃昌中心202-216號昌寧商場1樓2號鋪. Reported closed, Oct 2017.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Western, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by Stevie

Disappointing - Edit

This is a very small eatery, very difficult to find, in the mess of 荃昌 (in fact it is in 寜昌). I found the place not very clean, with limited choice. The simple fact that it was empty while its 50m neighbour Vegetarian New generation (素食新一代)was full tells a lot about the differences, despite low price. In fact I would rather advise you to go to the later if you come around.

Pros: cheap, the lady was quite nice, though she did not speak

Cons: difficult to find, small; not very clean, limited choice; Chinese menue only

Photo of CLOSED: Soul Camp  by <a href="/members/profile/Pascal_HK">Pascal_HK</a> <br/>Japanese style noddles and soop  <br/> March 19, 2017  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/52874/238201'>Report</a>

Japanese style noddles and soop

Soul Camp, Hong Kong - Edit

I've made some minor updates to this review since they have moved from Kowloon to Kwai Fong. I am also amending based on info provided that they are vegan friendly rather than 100% vegan.

Updated from previous review below on Sunday November 16, 2014

I had dinner here tonight. This was much an enjoyable experience and with a little improvement could be even better.

At least one of the staff there speaks great English which with my still much to improve Cantonese is a very useful bonus. Someone else did the ordering for me and I ended up with a black bean and mixed veg soup to start. Pretty good. Then there was this dish involving chipolata size sausages which were great. I was also presented with a vegan edition of Peking duck which was terrific, very enjoyable indeed. I accept of course that these last 2 dishes wouldn't appeal to those who don't like mock meat. Alls end up this was around $140 HK dollars with a drink (Kambucha?). The last 2 dishes I had were both great and I am interested in trying other things they have to offer on their menu.

One point you may want to watch out for. This place is run by 2 very nice people. They would though maybe benefit from hiring some part time staff to help out. After being seated it was a little bit of a wait before being asked for my order. This wasn't an issue for me but for someone in a hurry it may be. I'd also recommend making a reservation as last night (Saturday evening) I turned up without a booking and couldn't get a table.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Great food

Cons: Not for people in a hurry, Booking recommended

Photo of CLOSED: Soul Camp  by <a href="/members/profile/Stevie">Stevie</a> <br/>2 <br/> May 28, 2015  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/52874/103862'>Report</a>

Photo of CLOSED: Soul Camp  by <a href="/members/profile/Stevie">Stevie</a> <br/>1 <br/> May 28, 2015  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/52874/103861'>Report</a>

Avatar matimatik

matimatik 14 Dec 2014 - It's not 100% vegan as Peggy informed me. But everything can be made vegan if you mention the word "vegan" when ordering that's probably why you didn't notice :)

And she actually asked us whether we are vegans before we ordered. So, it's not the ideal place, but definitely in the top of my favorite vegan-friendly ones.

I love this place! - Edit

A small (family-owned or something like that, two-man operation) restaurant with very tasty and healthy Chinese and Western food. It's probably not the place you go if you want to try some authentic Hong Kong/Chinese vegan cuisine. The term "Vegan fusion" another reviewer used might be the right one here although there definitely is some distinguished Chinese/Hong Kongian note in that fusion.

The staff (represented by Peggy, the manager or owner, I don't know for sure) was very helpful and friendly. Peggy's English is much better than mine and she knows what "vegan" means and can help to order accordingly (it's not 100% vegan regardless of the listing type here! but everything can be made vegan on request). Actually, I don't know if I could order anything without her help 'cause they only have menu in Chinese without too much pictures in it :)

We've tried salad, black bean soup, fried bell pepper with mushrooms, and rice with Chinese name I forgot (not the tumeric one and not the lotus one, the one with sour sauce) and everything was just perfect. I've never before saw a vegetarian place where everything was so tasty (maybe with exception for some Indian places and even Indian ones usually have other deal-breaking issues). My wife and I shared just one portion of everything and it was just enough for two of us though if we knew how tasty the soup is, we'd definitely ordered two portions of it, not just one. (Rice contained Shiitake, soy protein, and peanuts so you might prefer another one if you have a problem with any of that.) The cost was about HK$200 (US$25) which doesn't at all seem expensive by HK standards.

Again, if you want explore local aromas in their depth, you might want to search for something more authentic. But in case like mine (only two days in HK and a tight schedule) it might be the place to go.

Pros: friendly and helpful staff, vegan-friendly, rather small, but clean and nice

Cons: menu only in Chinese, not 100% vegan, (almost?) no deserts

Return to New Territories Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Soul Camp closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.