Sophia

23 University Rd, Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT7 1NA

Serves meat, vegan options available. Modern restaurant serving Egyptian and Middle Eastern cuisine with veggie choices including falafels, stuffed vine leaves, hummus, puree aubergine, okra, Egyptian bread, soups, veggie moussaka and koshary. BYO.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Egyptian, Non-veg

First Review by CiaraSlevin

Out of this world Koshari - Edit

I have no idea how this has stayed open as often, one guy is the waiter and the chef.
I have been in twice and left the second time as the aforementioned guy was in the back preparing the only other guest's order!
This being said the Koshary was really amazing.
It's pricey for what you get though, so be warned.

Pros: Great ethnic food, Authentic

Cons: No service sometimes!, Eccentric place

Something different... - Edit

I really enjoyed my evening in Sophia! Such a fun, relaxed atmosphere with very eclectic music and much more exotic food than the usual Belfast fare. Everything was very fragrant. I had Vegetable Mixed Grill, Koshari and Spiced Aubergines (which weren't all that spicy- just very flavourful). Staff are very knowledgeable about the menu- the Baba Ganoush has dairy.

Gorgeous Egyptian & Middle Eastern Food - Edit

My eagle eyed friend had spotted Sophia a few months ago so we thought we'd try it out today for an impromptu lunch. Sophia is an Egyptian and Middle Eastern restaurant and thus serves one of my favourite foods - Falafels. Today I had a Falafel sandwich which consisted of the nicest Falafels I have ever tasted, served in Egyptian bread with a fresh, tasty side salad and Tahini. It was fabulous and I enjoyed every single morsel.

Sophia restaurant itself is beautiful - fresh, new and decorated in light grey tones with Egyptian hieroglyphics everywhere - even the menu is papyrus style! The Gentleman who served us was warm, welcoming and friendly and here's a beautiful outside 'Shisha' Garden. As Sophia is BYOB I know I'll be spending most of my summer evenings here sitting outside relaxing, drinking wine and eating gorgeous food. In the meantime I can't wait to get back to Sophia for dinner over the next week or two. An absolutely wonderful and unique restaurant.

Pros: BYOB, Great range of vegetarian & vegan options , Outside seating area for summer months

Return to Belfast Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sophia closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.