Song's

• Veg-friendly
Contact 575-758-3256

703 Paseo del Pueblo Sur, Taos, New Mexico, USA, 87571

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers a page of vegetarian and vegan options on their menu. Many other items can be veganized by substituting with tofu. Small, family-run business, and the owners are very accommodating.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by KimMiles

mediocre - Edit

I went to this restaurant thinking it would be pretty good due to another 4 star rating on this site. Boy was I disappointed.

First off the place looks pretty run down inside and out. I expected that since it was mentioned in the other review. Sitting by the window, I noticed that the mini blinds were covered with specks of crusty old food and dust. Hopefully this isn't a reflection of the kitchen cleanliness. I almost walked but I was hungry and there aren't many vegan choices in Taos.

I had the red curry tofu with brown rice. The sauce was reasonably spicy but the sauce was very thin and watery. The veggies were not what I'd expect in this type of dish: zucchini, potatoes, broccoli, button mushrooms, carrots, celery. The broccoli was overcooked and tasted like it had been frozen. The brown rice had an odd texture like like quick cooking boil-in-bag.

The waitstaff were friendly and fairly attentive but obviously inexperienced. My server tried to be friendly but the conversation was painful. I told her I didn't eat meat or dairy so she offered me sushi. Enough said.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-05

Pros: Vegan friendly

Cons: Cleanliness issues, Mediocre food

Veg-Friendly in Taos - Edit

Song's is one of the few veg-friendly restaurants in Taos, with an entire page of vegetarian options that can be easily veganized, such as leaving the egg out of the Pad Thai with Tofu. The veggies are always fresh and perfectly prepared, and brown rice is usually available.

For lunch the other day, we ordered the Vietnam Roll (veggies in rice paper - 2 for $3.95), Seaweed Salad from the sushi bar (my favorite), Family Tofu (veggies and tofu in a spicy garlic sauce - $5.95 on the lunch menu), Tai Tofu (a wonderful red curry - $8.50 off the dinner menu), and brown rice. Everything was delicious, and although we took some of it home with us, we also ordered the Sesame Balls (sweet red bean paste in rice flour dough, rolled in sesame seeds and lightly deep fried. 6 for $3) for dessert. A wonderful little treat to go with the rest of our jasmine tea.

Service at Song's is always friendly, if sometimes a little bit slow, and it seems the husband/wife owners are always there, and happy to accommodate my strange vegan requests. Be aware of possible language barriers with some of the servers though, and be sure to ask clearly for exactly what you want.

My only complaint would be about the restroom. The building is old, and the bathroom is in serious need of updating. The sink was clean however, and there was soap and plenty of paper towels. I suspect it's a landlord issue rather than neglect on the restaurant owners' part.

Song's is a favorite of Taos locals who are in need of something other than southwest fare. Situated in a strange, glass fronted building across the street from Albertson's, it's easy for visitors to overlook. But if you venture in, you'll find some of the best Asian food in town. It's a nice break from all the "red or green" you normally find on a trip to New Mexico.

Pros: good food, pleases all kinds of diners, central location

Return to Taos Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Song's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1208 times since Feb 2012.