Soma Vital Food

+359-899988593

Knyaginya Maria Louisa 58 Boul, Sofia, Bulgaria, 1202

Est 2014 a Bali style atmospheric restaurant on the 5th floor of a large yoga center in the city centre. Sunny terrace. Children area with playground. Reported became all vegan as of May 2015. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-8:00pm. Closed Mon.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Fusion, Bulgarian

First Review by Joanna Karatsaneva

The one and only in Sofia - Edit

Not only easily the best vegan and vegetarian restaurant in Sofia, also truly worth the 5 star rating and a great restaurant experience to have had as a lifelong vegetarian and health freak. There's no place that comes close to it in Sofia, they have absolutely no competition.

We were hesitant for a long time due to the very unsafe location, until we finally got around to taking a taxi there. There's a taxi station about 20 meters from the door, so there's actually no need to call when you leave.

If it was in a different location, I would easily have visited regularly. The prices are decent and all of the menu makes a lot of sense. The taste is right too. They have a big print of 'let food be thy medicine and medicine thy food' and to a relevant extent, they do live up to this ideal.

Great all the way through. Service was incredibly good. Very good coffee. Nice views. Great, great, great - everything! It's just that, unfortunately the location is so unsafe, you can get robbed or worse around there even during the day, so this was a one-off for us. As such, I will remember the visit and I'm very glad we got around to it.

Pros: Staff, Service, Food

Cons: Dangerous location

The best vegan place in Sofia - Edit

The food at Soma Vital is just great. I can't describe how many delicious things are there on the menu. The only serious "Cons" are the weird location and the uncomfortable tables / chairs. The interior is in line with the "Yoga" center they share the space with. If you have the luck to eat at the balcony, prefer that option. Regarding the location, the real problem is that the area is full with illegal immigrants a.k.a. refugees. Hopefully, after some time that will change.

Pros: Delicious food, Well priced, Clean WC

Cons: Interior, Location

Awesome new place in town - Edit

To find this place is a bit tricky at the moment but they work on the advertisement now.

It is located next to the famous Lions Bridge in Sofia.

To find it more easy, find the Carrefour shop, then look at the next new office building on the left, it is few steps inside.
You'll need to call MANDALA centre and get the inside elevator to the 5th floor.

Soma is located inside the Mandala yoga and transformation centre. You'll need to get inside barefoot.

Very welcoming and friendly atmosphere.
It is more like exotic coffee shop, but they offer all range of food as restaurant.
The food is delicious - all VEGAN and plenty of raw food.
There is option for vegetarians if they prefer dairy in their food.

Enjoy

Updated from previous review on 2014-08-15

Pros: Vegan and raw food

Cons: Location

Delicious - Edit

The food is so great and the people, working there are so nice. I love them!

Pros: excellent food, friendly people, nice atmosphere

Heavenly delicious! - Edit

The food is out of this world! Everything is freshly made and sooooo tasty! You can't go wrong with anything- soups,salads, main dishes or desserts. The cashew cheese is A MUST!!! The food is very diverse and 100% vegan. There's a unique homie feeling. The staff is always polite and friendly.

Awesome restaurant! - Edit

A very nice, peacefull and cozy restaurant where you need to take your shoes off. I like the concept, it's near the subway station and the staff is really friendly. Everything seems so good that it's hard to decide. And after tasting some of their dishes, I can tell that everything was delicious!

Pros: Amazing food, prices, place

Cons: Closed on a monday

Great atmosphere and yummy cakes - Edit

I would say these place is more on the hip' side of the spectrum with all the raw dishes, and the furniture, and the location. We had Domatenitsa raw soup (a win, especially in summer) and couscous with mushrooms, dried tomatoes and cashew (it was kind of weird combination for me, at the same time dry and oily... also the portion was so big I couldn't even finish it, but this should be considered a plus, I guess :)). They offer a selecion of vegan cakes, which is amazing, I mean, who doesn't like vegan cake? We tried a chocolate one and a cheesecake, both were delicious. The green smothie I ordered was a bit watery, but I like really thick smoothies, so that's just my preference. Oh, and the place has a great view as it is located on a 5th floor in the centre of the city, so it is definitely worth checking out.

Pros: Friendly staff, All vegan, Lots of options

Generous & yummy, cozy atmosphere - Edit

I am glad I searched this place out. A small cafe style restaurant tucked away among the rooftops, sharing a space with Mandala yoga studio.

I usually do not order salads, but was in need of something green after weeks of bread and cheese. Expecting a small bowl of leaves graced with a few nuts I added sourdough and a portion of chickpea coconut curry to my request.

What I got was a delicious pile of crunchy veggies and generous helping of nuts with a zesty dressing and soft vegan cheese that were the perfect compliments. The bread was incredibly fluffy and wonderfully tangy, the chickpea curry so good I tried to finish it all but had to ask for a box to take away half of it.

I wish I had had room for desert.

The woman who waited on me was kind, and happy to chat when I asked questions about where the food came from. Though not everything is 100% certified organic, they do make an effort to support local producers.

The space is artfully decorated, low tables, wide chairs, and comfy cushions, inviting you to linger longer for that 2nd cup of tea and maybe to allow room for a desert.

Pros: Generous portions, Friendly, Well rounded menu options

Cons: Easily overlooked

Place to meditate in socks - Edit

Not so easy to find, but there is Bali-like statue in front of the door (a little bit off the pedestrian area) which you have to watch out for. Once you are inside the building you have to use the elevator, you can't access the fifth floor from the staircase.
Upstairs then you can either put off your shoes (there are some slippers you can put on instead) or you put a cover over your shoes.
Inside all is decorated quite nice, everything in nearly natural style, atmospheric, clean and light-flooded.
It isn't cheap to eat or drink, but on the other hand the quality is very high. However, I have to say that I had the feeling that there are mostly simple dishes which are only presented in a sophisticated way. The soup was nice, but nothing extremely special neither a big portion. The main dish was good too, however, it contained mainly simple cucumbers and tomatoes. Considering that I was wondering a bit why that had to be so expensive. I can hardly imagine any cucumbers or tomatoes which would back up such high prices. Anyway, besides that there was nothing wrong with the food except the bread which I ordered for the soup. It was supposed some special bread with a self created spread, whereas it turned out to be just old toasted bread with a dubious, bland spread. A bit disappointing after all.
I think 'hipster' circumstantiates the venue quite well. If you enjoy to sit cross-legged and drink herb tea, you might be impressed.
There also is a shelf with various health products and books to buy.
The staff was very kind. Wi-Fi was pretty good.

Pros: clean, atmospheric, mild eats

Cons: a bit expensive, somehow hipster

Hipster vegan restaurant in Sofia - Edit

Not easy to find, located on 5th floor of Yoga center in Sofia. You need to take off your shoes to get in, which is great! Not great that on the terrace outside people are allowed to smoke. I would expect a total smoking free environment in a place so cool! Food great, cashew nut cheese home made, super yummie.
We had two take away for our flight back to ITaly which were tasty and delicious even if not warm.

Mrnatural 12 Mar 2017 - Thanks! What a contradiction. You're not allowed to drag in the heavy metals from the street with your shoes, but you are allowed to smoke and make the terrace accessible only to other people who actually want toxic substances in their lungs... Perfect example of why hipsterism really is a mistake and doesn't belong with veganism and vegetarianism - I will certainly remember this one!

Also - the location is not safe. I got robbed a few hundred meters away. You have to pay careful attention at all time and make sure you know where there are police in case you get approached. Better not visit after dark.

The most cozy restaurant! - Edit

In addition to the great vegan food that place is the most cozy and sunny restaurant. You don't go in there with your shoes on and at some point you start to have a feeling that you're at home!

Very delicious, warm and beautiful!! - Edit

I have visited Soma Vital Food a couple of times and I dare to say that this restaurant is one of the most charming and cozy places in Sofia where one can taste veg food!
I am most impressed of the sweets - all these cakes and muffins, they are just adorable!!
The atmosphere is very pleasant and cozy due to not only the exotic interior but also to the friendly attendance. The personnel is very polite and radiant.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 19, 2014

Great place for a chill and good food - Edit

I'm impressed!The brownie! A real vegan brownie, not a chocolate cake!

The restaurant is a bit tricky to find since it's on the 5th floor, but the food and prices are a good compensation, and they have home made cashew cheese!

Pros: Good food at affordable prices , Free wi-fi and cosy , quiet atmosphere

Cons: A bit hard to find

Return to Sofia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Soma Vital Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.