SOJO Esperanto-Vegana Kafejo

03-6302-1639

111 Wasedatsurumakicho, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan, 162-0041

SOJO is an Esperanto word meaning soy or soya. Small vegan café near Waseda University in Tokyo. Two green concepts, Esperanto and Veganism. Has a menu of the day with brown rice & soup, chickpea curry and small à la carte. Note: In Japan kitchens often stop serving 30-60 minutes before closing time. Call ahead to confirm. Open Tue-Sat 3:00pm-9:00pm. Closed public holidays.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Beer/Wine

First Review by Eriketo

Excellent - Edit

I loved this place. The food is very reasonably priced and the owner is extremely friendly. I would definitely go back and highly recommend it to locals and travellers alike.

Pros: Tasty food, Owner, Price

Low prices for large servings - Edit

I'm a student at Waseda University and this place is less than a couple minutes from where I live, so it is nice to have a vegan place close to home. The prices are low, only 600 yen for a filling dinner. This place is not open during lunch though, so make sure you are aware of that.

Updated from previous review on 2017-06-06

Pros: Cheap, Simple vegan food

Cons: No lunch hours

islandisto 15 Jun 2017 - I was also wondering about this, until I saw a Facebook post saying that the closings were due to family issues (namely, a family member of the owner in hospital).

A chance to learn about another culture in Japan - Edit

I enjoyed the food and the admired the effort the owner went to create a cafe with a different culture and foods from around the world.

Although my options were a bit limited due to my gluten free diet, the food was great.

I tried the organic wine and it was definitely the best wine I had had in Japan and must have been free of preservatives because I would have reacted to preservatives.

Friendly owner with a passion.

Pros: Healthy, Friendly

Cons: Limited gluten free options

cheap and delicious - Edit

This restaurant is located near Waseda University and if you are a traveler you may not have an opportunity to visit a remote place such as this but it sure is an amazing place to check out.
Situated in he main road it's quite easy to find.
The dumplings are amazing and the food is really cheap.
And you maybe able to learn a new language there.
Highly recommended

Pros: affordable , delicious

Cons: out of central area

A vegan gem in the heart of Waseda - Edit

Finding good vegetarian food options in Tokyo has become easier during the 7 years that I have been visiting the city, however, the ‘hidden’ meat and fish in stocks, soup and sauces are still ubiquitous. Not so with Sojo (pronounced So-yo), a new vegan café/restaurant in the heart of Waseda.

Only 400m from Waseda subway station on a wide, pleasant boulevard, Nori-san has created a unique eatery combining his two interests: good vegan food and the language Esperanto.

In the interests of full disclosure, let me say at the outset that I visited as an Esperanto-speaker, however two of my companions were neither Esperanto speakers nor vegans and received a very warm welcome.

We enjoyed good food and friendly hospitality. Menus are trilingual: Japanese, Esperanto and English. Information abounds about veganism and Esperanto and Nori-san is happy to chat about his passions with those who are interested.

Alternatively, simply go for the well-priced and plentiful food and free wi-fi! Hopefully this vegan haven will be here for years to come.

Pros: Excellent value, Warm welcome, Free wi-fi

Cons: Ideally need to reserve ahead at present

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has SOJO Esperanto-Vegana Kafejo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.