First Review by Marenka

Seitan, seitan, seitan - Edit

I love this place seitan. Sataman seitan meal is veeery big and if you have hungover this place is only one what can fix it. Greasy, greasy seitan..mmmhh

Unfortunatelly there are always line and rush. Ive been visiting now two times and last time I have wait my food 20minutes. Thats okey but it was sad to see that so many people have to turn around on a door because it was raining outside and they didnt have a place to sit and time to wait... One big minus are that stuff seems to be kind of angry or in bad mood. They snap each others. I understand that mind can be tight and they are under lot a pressure but still in customer you should not have to see things like that.... Who takes our orders was very nice and kind.

Pros: Best hungover food

Cons: atmosphere, no place to sit, lines

Good vegan selection, for the most part unhealthy post-pub food - Edit

The good:
* One of the very few burger places in Helsinki catering for vegetarians & vegans
* Fun, friendly service 99% of the time
* A large range of food options available, most of which are vegan
* Takeaway or delivery (via the local foodora service) options available
* Usually a good atmosphere seated inside & you can see the kitchen & staff work
* Nice selection of drinks (not the standard hartwell fizzy & sugary stuff)
* Good location near the Sörnainen metro station & close to many local bars

The not so good:
* The place & rarely, some of the food can be greasy
* Large amount of condiments & standard-fare, shop bought bread means the burgers & pitas are difficult or sorry to pickup & eat, especially if not eaten on-premisis
* It's a small place & there aren't too many searing places available
* The burger & kebab patties/strips taste synthetic. I get the impression they're not made onsite & are made to immitate meat with lots of oil, salt etc. to mimic fast food restaurant ones, there's no freshness or individual flavours coming through, this is just post-pub nosh. The vegan cheeses are the same

Pros: Fun staff, Great, large selection for vegans

Cons: Unhealthy, greasy & non-natural taste sometimes, Can be longer waits, Walls & ceiling are coloured & the inside has a bi

Bad service, overpriced food. - Edit

Looking at the comments here, I wonder what is the standard people have for food. Seriously, who on earth uses Vaasan ruispalat, the cheapest and lamest commercial bread available, for making a burger in a restaurant?! Also portions are very small for the price and service was rather rude.

Pros: Vegan options, Opening hours

Cons: Quality, Serves animal products, Service

Best burgers, crispy seitan - Edit

Best hangover food here! Crispy, salty, deep-fried. Lots of flavour! Sataman seitan is very recommended! I have had very friendly and not so friendly staff experiences, but they're never been too busy to make my order with special wishes.

The decor is awful bright green and yellow and it smells very greasy inside, so I recommend to go there when you can eat outside.

Best burgers in town - Edit

Have eaten here several occasions. Cute little place. Burgers are so good, can't believe they're vegan! Especially soyburger with smoked "cheese". Bun option with oat or dark ryebread.

Simply delicious - Edit

This place was awesome. It serves up hearty, stick-to-your-ribs veggie fare. The offerings are far from healthy and oh so satisfying. As a vegan, I have trouble finding savory, indulgent foods, so Soi Soi's burgers and sandwiches are a godsend that really hit the spot.

My wife and I discovered this on our penultimate day in Finland; if not for that, we would have been here every day of our week-long trip. We had the seitan kebab and jammin burger, both of which were indescribably delicious. In fact, neither of us could stop thinking about the meal for the rest of the night. Luckily, Soi Soi was on the way to the airport, so we stopped by the next morning for a second helping.

Pros: Utterly delicious, Hearty, savory, indulgent, Big portions

Great burgers! - Edit

We ate here this june and the burgers were really tasty! It is quite a small place and at the time really crouded. My order got mixed up and I got the wrong burger. Got the right one after a short wait though.

Pros: Really tasty burgers, Many vegan options, Friendly staff

Cons: Small place

Wonderful and Friendly place - Edit

One thing I missed about this place while I was hunting for a Vegan place was the restaurant's timing. They are open until 11PM and on Weekends until 2 AM (not PM).

About the food: They only serve fast food. Burgers and fries. They are so tasty. They have many vegan options. Cost is moderate. Not many tables. But, they serve quickly , they are friendly. They listen to you patiently and suggest you several options.

I'm not a big fan of burgers. But, these are great. I ate one for dinner and packed two for breakfast and lunch. Even the not so fresh one the next day tasted great.

I'll be visiting this place next time if I come to Helsinki.

Pros: Wonderful fast food, Friendly and patient, Moderate cost

Cons: Few tables, Could be little more clean

Vegan-friendly fast-food restaurant - Edit

Quite easy to find. The place is quite small, only four tables, might get crowded easily.

In our experience the staff is and the atmosphere is friendly. The food is prepared visibly behind the counter.

Prices vary from cheap to moderate per dish, but portions are large and will fill your stomach. My personal favorite is Sataman seitan. The slices of seitan are thin and well prepared but there could be more, because there is so much herb-potatoes. The mayonnaise and coleslaw are really tasty and the whole portion is well balanced between freshness and fast-foodness.

Gluten-freedom is possible with varying the dishes. The staff is helpful to prepare the dishes according to food-restrictions and wishes.

Pros: Tasty, Large portions, Seitan

Cons: Moderate prices, Warm indoors

Vegan fastfood - Edit

Ate a pre-bar meal here today. Had a pita-bread stuffed with fried seitan and some assortiments, accompanied by sweet potato fries. The food was ok considering the price, but I would have done it a bit differently. The pita was difficult to eat because the seitan pieces were large, almost like burger patties; I would have cut them into smaller pieces and mixed them with the assortiments. Also, since everything was fried, it was very high-fat, which is not to my liking. I would compare this to an average snägäri in Finland (snägäri = grill that serves fast food till early mornings for customers coming from bars). Nothing special, but it is nice to enjoy such meals every one in a while as a vegan.

Pros: Price, Variety of options

Cons: High fat, Taste nothing special

Reggae style place - Edit

In Soi Soi you have many vegan options (and the staff can improvize if you have food restrictions). Their "Sataman seitan" is absolutely delicious and "Hamppurilainen" is a good option for smaller hunger or a evening snack.

I also recommend Laitila lemonades and Bionade they have.

Pros: Food is great, Nice staff and they cook behind the desk

Cons: Not entirely vegan place, Music is sometimes too loud

Veggie hangout - Edit

A lovely place. A great replacement of the Vegemesta that used to be at the opposite side of the street. The food is just as good, but there are maybe more choices and more than burger but still similar fried grill fast food oriented. Many tables and you can really go there with your friends, sit down and enjoy the meal as the only veggie place like this open in the evening in Helsinki besides Vegemesta Roobertinkatu. I had chick-pea balls with fried potatoes and salad. They also had some really good carrot juice smoothie at that tome.

Pros: Open also in the evening, Great location near sörnainen metro, Spacey and comfy

Cons: G

Cozy place, delicious seitan! - Edit

Soi Soi is a nice little fast food restaurant that has many vegetarian options, both hemp, soy and seitan based and burgers and pitas as well as plates. About half of the menu is vegan. The staff speaks English.

We were served by a super relaxed and cool dude. It was nice that you can watch the staff making the meals. The place is quite small but nice.

Their "Sataman seitan" meal was delicious, especially the seitan part. It included also salad and fried potatoes that tasted good, but potatoes had a little too much fat for my taste. Options are a bit limited for vegans, for example there was only one vegan burger (that was a hemp burger).

Pros: nice staff, easy to find, good location, tasty food

Cons: a bit too fatty meal, limited options for vegans

Return to Helsinki Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Soi Soi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4971 times since Mar 2013.