Sobro Cafe

Contact 317-920-8121

653 E 52nd St, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, 46202

Serves meat, vegan options available. International dishes with some main entrees being able to be made with with tofu or tempeh choice. Sandwiches could be made on gluten free bread or brown rice instead of regular bread. Open Tue-Fri 11:30am-2:30pm, Tue-Fri 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sat 9:00am-9:00pm, Sun 9:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by mlee

incredible - Edit

awesome staff. Friendly, eager to help. Stated that I was a vegan, waitress had several options for me. Food was out of this world good. chi tea was the best i have ever had. can't wait to go back!

Pros: friendly and helpful staff. great food. reasonable

Cons: not much parking

Delicious Brunch! - Edit

I could not wait to try the veg biscuits and gravy at this place. It did not disappoint, although it did surprise. I expected some kind of faux meat product, but it was made with veggies in a delicious mushroomy gravy. I felt much healthier eating veggies instead of faux meat and it was delicious. I also got a chai latte, which is always made with soy, and it was OUT OF THIS WORLD! Probably the best chai ever, and it's one of their specialties. I can't wait to try this place out for lunch and/or dinner. My husband said his brunch, some egg thing, was just ok, and he thought it was a bit pricey for what you got. I was happy with everything though.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 14, 2012
We continue to go here on a regular basis, just not for dinner because it gets too expensive. Biscuits and gravy are still delicious, as is the West Indies Scramble. For lunch, my husband typically goes for the Good Burger, and my fave is the Tempeh Buffalo Wrap. The Superfood Salad is amazing if I'm in need of some serious veggie nourishment. The dinner options are good as well, just not worth it to me for what it costs.

Pros: Brunch, Chai, Tempeh Buffalo Wrap

Cons: Dinner is expensive

Sobro Cafe - Edit

Sobro Cafe has never disappointed me! The items are clearly marked as vegan, and they are knowledgeable about the food and can make some of the vegetarian options vegan if asked. I have had the hummus, Superfood Salad, burger and sweet potato fries (I think they altered the sandwich to make vegan).

Healthiest + perhaps tastiest vegan food in Indy - Edit

This place is one of our favorite places to go for vegan food in Indy... can't say enough good things about SoBro Cafe. They have options for vegan brunch; tasty vegan salads (which is an area of extreme shortage in Indianapolis); and good vegan desserts. I love the Goodburger (their house-made veggie burger) and buffalo tempeh, but everything is super delicious. The service is helpful and friendly. They'll work with you to find a perfect meal for your dietary needs. A+. We need about 10 more places like this in Indy!

Pros: Food quality (organic, fresh), Delicious preparations, Awesome staff and location

Yummy brunch (and even dinner) - Edit

Sobro Cafe has a reputation as a brunch place (and it rocks for vegetarians and vegans for weekend brunch). It's also a decent dinner place, with a chef-made veggie burger and vegan specials.

They do serve meat and dairy, but the staff is actually aware of what's in the food...No worries about the typical blank stares that you get when you ask questions.

The place reminds me a bit of restaurants that you would normally find in Portland. I hope that more restaurants like this pop up around Indianapolis, that's for sure.

Pros: good food, good price, knowledgeable staff

Cons: crowded on the weekends, a bit quiet on weeknights

Fantastic little cafe - Edit

I love this restaurant! I went for lunch and was very impressed. The waitress was very accomodating, friendly and knowledgeable - and a vegan herself. She let me know which dishes were vegan and which could be made that way on request. The sweet potato fries and homemade ketchup are delicious. I had the tempeh / tahini sandwich on pita (minus the goat cheese) - it was absolutely wonderful! My cousin had the tuna melt and said it was the best she had ever had. I took my son back there a week or so later. They were very accomodating and made a special lunch for him. I tried the hummous sandwich and it was delicious as well. Very cool restaurant, options for everyone, awesome wait staff and tasty food :)

Pros: friendly, knowledgeable staff, delicious food, options for everyone

Cons: would like a few more vegan options

Still working out the kinks. - Edit

The good thing about SoBro is that it is one of the only places I know that serves a vegan brunch in Indy. In addition, the waitress was very helpful about letting me know what was vegan.

The downside: The biscuits and gravy, while pretty tasty, were nothing like biscuits and gravy. Almost more like a veggie dumpling stew. I found I enjoyed the dish once I adjusted my expectations.

I know the place is pretty new and maybe still working out kinks. I'd love to go back and try the vegan cake that the waitress mentioned!

Pros: vegan brunch, knowledgeable staff

Cons: few options, puck-like biscuits

Amazing vegan options - Edit

Awesome vegan selections! I went here and ordered soy milk with my coffee. The waitress asked if I was vegan. I said that I was and she said "Great, we have plenty of vegan options and let me know if I can explain anything on the menu." I had the vegan biscuits and gravy. It was heaven. When we were leaving the waitress explained she just baked a vegan lemon cake. I wish we lived in town. I would eat there all the time!

Pros: Great vegan food!

Return to Indianapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sobro Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3331 times since Jan 2012.