So Yuet Hin

+852-34864428

Shop 15, 25 Shiu Wo St, Brighton Place, Tsuen Wan, New Territories, Hong Kong, China

Serves vegetarian food, indoors and out, has 30 seats. Nearest MTR Tsuen Wan exit B1. Open Mon-Tue 8:00am-8:00pm, Thu-Sun 8:00am-8:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by Stevie

So Yuet Hin - Edit

I've only tried their cart noodles (車仔麵, chair jai meen), where you choose a soup base, a type of noodle, and toppings. It also came with a bowl of soup. I didn't ask specifically which items were vegan, but vegans would generally be safe with rice-based noodles such as 米粉 (mai fun, vermicelli) and 米線 (mai seen, thicker rice noodles) and if you choose whole foods and avoid mock meats.

They also have a cheaper set meal with rice, soup and a choice of several options. Their menu is only in Chinese, so it would be best if you could bring a Chinese-speaking/reading friend, though from the vibes I got I reckon other customers would step in to help if necessary.

My cart noodle meal came with three pieces of fried potato crisps (served in a separate bowl) - absolutely sinful, and something I'll order each time I'm here. The laksa soup base was more curry rather than coconut, but fulfilling nonetheless. Again, it was very oily. I remember that on a previous occasion I had ordered a side dish of kai lan (leafy vegetables), which was drenched with oil. If you prefer, you may ask for it to be "全走,chuen jau" - plainly blanched with nothing added.

The shop space is tiny and you'll probably have to share a table or sit outside. Customers seem to be regulars and are very friendly, chatting easily among themselves and with staff.

Updated from previous review on 2018-02-13

Pros: Friendly staff, Cheap, local food (by HK standards), Tasty

Cons: Chinese-only menu

Good cheap eats - Edit

This place is great for a good cheap eat. You can either get a set meal type option (a few dishes with rice, the dishes change each day and you can pick 3 out of 4 choices or something similar), or you can order a noodle dish.

I've only ever gotten the noodle dishes.

To order noodles, there's an order form on each table, you just circle the options (type of noodle, type of soup stock, 3 toppings (you can get more toppings at $8 each)).
They also give you a complimentary soup of the day as soon as you sit down.

The order forms and the menu are all in Chinese but usually there's a super friendly guy there who speaks perfect English who can help you out. Or ask the other patrons they're usually really friendly too. Or you can circle whatever and hope for the best!

The noodles are great - I love the laksa base even though it's a bit too hot for me!

The setting is very much hole-in-the-wall style, super casual. Limited indoor and outdoor seating.

Pros: Good value, Friendly staff, straightforward ordering

Cons: Bit small and can be crowded, menus all in cantonese, small selection of foods

Amazingly Delicious! - Edit

This place is amazing. When it comes to noodles, the soup base plays a key role. They cracked it. Friendly and affordable. Good taste of local scene too!

So Yuet Hin - Edit

One of my favorites in the area. It's a little bit difficult to find actually but I used to go to school in this area so I knew the places.

The choices are quite limited. You could have rice meal set with red rice and pick 3 out of 5 chinese dishes to go with. I usually have noodles here.

There are different kinds of noodles, soup base and toppings to choose from. All are vegetarians.

It's cheap here and the food tastes good. However, the place is very small and very crowded in lunch or dinner time. The staff are very friendly.

Pros: Cheap

Cons: Inconvenient location, Very crowded sometimes

So Yuet Min, Hong Kong - Edit

I liked this place. There was a nice sort of vibe about it about when I strolled in. The ladies working here all seemed pleasant.

When I was spun in here I was offered the set menu. I decline as I had a clear idea in my mind that I only needed some soup. I was given the soup of the day. It had a nice light tomato base. There was also corn in which I personally don't like. However since the corn was still attached to pieces of cob it was easy to pick them out. It was so nice I had a second bowl. 10 hkd per bowl, its tough to go wrong with that.

It's quite a small place with some tables indoors and also outside. Outside the seats are under a canopy that covers the passageway.

If I was in this part of town I'd be happy to eat here again.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Tasty and inexpensive, Nice staff

Return to New Territories Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has So Yuet Hin closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.