First Review by JesseD

good pizza - Edit

If you miss real pizza, this is a good place for you. The crust is thin and tasteful and so is the cheese. You won't find the traditional pepperoni & cheese or all dressed pizza. Instead they have more funky flavors, which I think is cool. Smoked cheese, rosemary potato, kimchi, pesto & mushrooms are some of the pizzas. There's a nice park with some benches just in front, so it doesn't matter if all the seats at the restaurant are taken. All the pizzas are 150 ntd.

Pros: good international pizza

Cons: not vegan friendly

Don't expect to sit down, but the pizza is good! - Edit

So Free Pizza is a tiny restaurant (more of a hut, really!) that serves decent pizza, by Taiwanese standards (I'm used to New York pizza so I'm pretty picky!). Some of the flavors of pizza are a bit creative, such as apple cinnamon, smoked cheese (my fav!), and kimchi. They also serve beer and other drinks. The restaurant is basically just a wood-fire pizza oven surrounded by about 8 barstools for customers, so seating is very limited, and as it gets pretty busy, you might have to wait a while for a seat. The oven isn't that big so I guess they can only cook a few pizzas at a time, meaning that sometimes you have to wait a while for your pizza to finish. I think one time I waited about half an hour! When it's not busy, it's not that bad, though. Most or all of the pizzas have cheese on them so it's not vegan-friendly as far as I know.

Pros: Good pizza, Creative menu, Casual, homey vibe

Cons: Not vegan-friendly, Occasionally slow service, Limited seating

Best Pizza in Taipei - Edit

I am kind of picky about pizza, especially about the crust. And in my opinion this place offers the best pizza (wood-fired too!) in Taipei. And it being the only pizza place whose menu is completely vegetarian is the cherry on the top. They offers 9 different type 8-inch pizzas. $120 a piece, fairly cheap in Taipei. I have tried all of them except the sweet ones, and I love all of them. My favorite ones are "rosemary potato" and "ginger superman" (ginger+salty duck egg). The other items on the menu are: mushroom asparagus, pesto mushroom, smoked cheese, fireball (seawead+edamame), apple cinnamon and banana almond.

It's basically a hole in the wall with very limited (around 5) and uncomfortable seating. So it's better to order by phone and pick up later. There is a small park opposite to the place. In nice weather it is quite comfy to eat there, and the staff will deliver your place to the park too.

Pros: excellent food, good value

Cons: limited menu

vegan-unfriendly restaurant with overpriced pizzas - Edit

I was quite excited to read of a new vegetarian pizza place in Gong Guan and Ximen, but was soon disappointed. First, there was no labelling (in English - or as far as I could tell, in Chinese) to say which were vegan, but after going through what I don't eat (they had no idea what vegan was, even with a Chinese translator) they said that all but one could be made vegan by leaving off the cheese. So I had two small pizzas which tasted more like sandwiches than pizzas, with very little sauce at all, though the sprinkle of tiny potato cubes on my 'Rosemary Potato' one were cooked very well. I noticed the other customers' pizzas were covered in cheese, and they also sell their cheese there, so that might explain why my meal seemed to be lacking something. There are only a few outdoor seats around the outside so you're probably going to be eating it in the park (which should be fine in good weather, but don't come if it's raining). So after a long wait and 280NT (for two pizzas) I still felt hungry and unsatisfied.

Pros: vegan unfriendly, pizzas are tiny, limited seating

Cons: good location close to National Taiwan U

Return to Taipei Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has So Free Pizza - TaiDa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1512 times since Jun 2012.