Sneaky Pickle

Contact 504-218-5651

4017 St. Claude St (at 9th Ward), New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 70117

Serves meat, vegan options available. Opened Feb 2014, this restaurant offers a concise menu that changes weekly depending on what produce is in-season. Food is vegetarian/vegan except for one or two meat dish (cooked separately).Vegan choices in ice cream, cookies, creamy pasta, specials daily. Makes food in-house including the flatbread and the sauces.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by zaphod

Tasty American Style Food - Edit

We had 3 vegan dishes from here. They were all good portion sizes and all tasty. We came away very satisfied. We had the Mac and Cheese, the Smoked Tempeh Flatbread and the Fried Tofu Salad. They were all great! Thank you! :-D

Very veg approach to American cuisine - Edit

Rice and bean bowls with some veggies, hand cut French fries and Mac n cheese. All vegan? Sold. Count me in for a meal here. It is simple and made to order. Be patient, but have a good appetite.

Vegan chocolate chip cookie? Ok. Wine? Beer? Ok. Sandwich? Ok. Nothing too extraordinary, but it delivers on classic diner style cuisine, and you know it's veg. That's priceless. Good tasting, quality food. Good people. Very hipster.

They do accept credit cards.

Pros: Vegan hand cut French fries, Accepts credit cards, Fresh

Cons: No raw food, Has meat

Want to give 5 stars but phone won't allow! - Edit

Sneaky Pickle is great! I visited last night with my husband and another couple and we were all really impressed. In the group we're a mix of "comfort food" vegans and "I just want a giant pile of vegetables" vegans and we were all satisfied. It's clear that the chef is skilled- the flavors were layered and great care was taken with the knife work. It's fun to visit a restaurant that takes pride in high quality food.
I also have celiac and the kitchen was knowledgeable and took care to avoid cross contamination.

Pros: Tasty food, Interesting, creative menu , Good ambiance inside

Cons: Neighborhood

Wish I could give it 10 stars! - Edit

The app only allows for stars for a restaurant that offers meat but in this case that's really unfortunate. I just finished my fourth meal in three days here and everything has just been incredibly delicious. What would I give to be able to create vegan cuisine as good as this? I've been visiting in New Orleans for a week and a half now and had come darn near close to dying from malnutrition it felt like ha ha. Our smart phone had taken a swim in our cooler and took nearly a week to get the replacement. In a town so legendary for its food it has been very difficult to enjoy the experience as much being on a tight budget and because most things here do use meat for added flavor. When I finally got a new phone, I went on yelp to see if there were any vegetarian or vegan options nearby and this place was only about a block away from where we have been staying. The historic Bywater district won't make it onto most tourist lists of what to be sure and see but this is a very special authentic neighborhood here and I would highly recommend exploring it. Getting back to the sneaky pickle, those who want meat will always find at least one option but those of us going for plant-based foods have lots of delicious choices. I'm especially impressed by the flavors and the creativity and the dishes. The fresh flowers, comfortable music and original art definitely add to the great ambience. I found no inconsistencies with the hours and only great service from the multiple staff members that I've met. Currently the streetcar lines are being worked on but soon this will be right on one of those lines and is already accessible by bus 88 from down in the French quarter with a stop at the corner of Canal and elk. Locals know it as the St Claude bus. Busfare is only a $1.25 and a day pass is three bucks. Bon appetit!

great fresh ingredients - Edit

Tastiest choice for vegan fare in New Orleans! The Ruben is so vibrant with flavors and the smokiness of the multigrain pattie is sublime. The buffalo tofu salad is also a smoky, sweet, savory delight, you wis you had ordered two. The pickle plate was so enjoyable, my husband (who doesn't eat beets) found a new love for beers. And pickled green strawberries were a definite surprise! You have to visit this little gem in the upper 9th ward!

Pros: great food, easy atmosphere , friendly staff

Cons: not a great neighborhood at night

delicious, affordable, healthy comfort food - Edit

Sneaky Pickle continues to impress me with its food. I'm a big fan of the tempeh reuben, but their flat breads and specials are usually excellent as well. Plus they have great prices, friendly staff, and an awesome sign. They're slightly out of the way, but still very conveniently located in the Bywater.

Pros: tempeh reuben , flat breads, very cool sign

Cons: serves a small selection of meat

Delicious! - Edit

I've been hearing good things about this place, but we hadn't quite been able to make it down there. A bit further away than we expected, but completely worth it!!
The interior is super welcoming and cozy, it was pretty empty when we went so it felt even more cozy, like we were eating at someone's house.
Get the sweet potato tater tots. You'll be amazed. The inside of them are full of soft delicious shreds of sweet potato that are so melt in your mouth crumbly delicious, that you'll be amazed that these little babies keep their shape when they're fried.
I got the Reuben and it was amazing. Sal got the veggie patty and loved it, it was pretty delicious, but I preferred the Reuben. Reasonably priced although I do wish that more sweet potato tater tots came with the large order.
We will absolutely be back and I highly highly recommend you get over there!
(Not fully vegan menu)

Pros: Delicious!, Great atmosphere, Friendly Staff

Cons: Not closer to us!

Great Vegan food! - Edit

They opened recently, but I have already been there twice. The food is fresh and has a lot of flavor. Friendly and courteous. Try the "Bowl o' Food" and the Sweet Potato Tots...

Pros: Flavorful, Fresh, Inexpensive

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sneaky Pickle closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1431 times since Feb 2014.