Smrat Pure Veg - Ground Floor Chungking

Contact 852-2722-5281

36-44 Nathan Road, Block B, ground floor, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China,

Affiliated with Smrat Cafe, this is a snack counter inside the big building at Chung King Mansions. Small seating area and a microwave. Uses dairy. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-11:30pm.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by JohnnySensible

Nice - Edit

More or less what I expected. There is a stall on the ground floor on Chungking Mansion and a restaurant on the 5th floor. I ate at the restaurant. The food was tasty but nothing mindblowing simple northern Indian fair. Not to expensive.

Pros: totally vegan, inexpensive

Disappointing - Edit

Once sat in the back (unfortunately after already ordering) we could see the place was dirty.

50 Hong Kong Dollars for two small portions of curry and a couple of chapati's. We had 4 curries between the 2 of us. They were mediocre to "we aren't eating the rest of this."

We only finished about 1/2 the food served even though we were both hungry. Cooked in a microwave on a Styrofoam plate and saturated with oil.

We sat at a table that was dirty expecting it to be cleaned before they would bring the food. They brought over napkins and sat them on the table with no intention of cleaning the table. We had to ask for it to be cleaned. The floor below us had food spilled on it that was never cleaned up. I went to move the sauce bottle on the table and was left with sticky, gooey hands from the uncleaned bottle. That dirty of a place at 9am > I would hate to see the mess accumulated later in the day.

Would I or my girlfriend eat there again? Take a wild guess!

Pros: One server was friendly.

Cons: Filthy, Lack of good taste, Microwave

Smrat Pure Veg - Ground floor, Hong Kong - Edit

I recently returned here earlier. This was the 1st time I'd been for about 6 months or so. My recollection when I was walking in was there was something about this place (I couldn't remember what on the way in), that was unimpressive (and I didn't mean the somewhat grubby appearance of the place correctly pointed out in a previous review).

I asked the guy what a couple of things were when I was pointing at the counter. Then it came flooding back to me what it is about this place that is very sub standard.

The guy who sits behind the counter is at best disinterested and ambivalent and somewhat dismissive of his customers. I asked him a little more about whether or not something I was pointing at was made with milk products. He then started raising his voice. This attracted the attention of another person there who tried to speak calmly to the guy serving. The server didn't seemed bothered though
and made it pretty clear that my querying of the food content was unwelcome.

I'd have thought he'd have been looking to be personable with clientele for more business. If you go into Chung King Mansions there's at least 3 all veggie places (2 of them are managed by Smrat). The other place (Saravana) is up one flight of stairs so maybe he thinks he has the market covered. The guy in Saravana fully understands what vegan means, is friendlier and provides great tasting food. There's plenty of other all veg Indian places nearby in TST to add to Saravana (Branto, Woodlands, Sangeetha).

The only I am rating this place as high as 2 is because the website won't allow me to mark it as lower.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 24, 2014

Cons: Manager doesn't understand veganism, Rude service

Indian Food Stall - Edit

Indian Vegetarian Food stall inside Chung King Mansions.
You have to scout your way inside the 1st floor and it's in the left end corner.
Please be advised that there are a lot of vegetarian/vegan restaurants or food stall inside Chung King Mansions
Simple,Cheap and Easy Indian pre-heat food. Good for take-out while on travel. They have variety of food and sweets and it's affordable. Avail of their budget meal.
I love Indian food!

Pros: excellent food, good value

Cons: noisy, small space for eating, food stall

cheap take away, convenient. - Edit

Once you've made your way through the touts straight ahead and on the left. Haven't braved the curry dishes but have had very nice somosa, kachori and bahji. Trouble explaining I don't do dairy even with the vegan passport. cheap, greasy and convenient.

Great simple Indian vegetarian food - Edit

There is another Smrat that is upstairs on the 5th floor (difficult to find though). That place is awesome. The one downstairs did not look that great although I didn't eat there. The initial review that I wrote has been moved to the correct Smrat.

Updated from previous review on Monday September 05, 2011

Quick and tasty - Edit

We ate here after arriving in HK last month. We tried to restaurant first but they're closed at that time and was directed here. The food was nice and they have budget meals. Three chapati and 2 curries would cost around $29 HKD. They have Indian sweets and they're affordable too. We would often buy here if we need some quick and tasty snacks.

Pros: near hostels, cheap

Cons: staff is sometimes busy to entertain you

Tiny Indian vegetarian corner in Tsim Sha Tsui - Edit

Just a little indian vegetarian corner located in the indian building "Chunking Mansion".
The food is extremely cheap but so tasty.

There is a tiny space to eat but I think that it's better to take out.

Recommended if you're in the area and you need a little snack :)

Pros: cheap , delicious

Not for molysmophobics - Edit

Still very, very simple.

Decidedly grubby.

If you are not "India experienced" maybe avoid.

They have cleared away some boxes so perhaps 6 people can sit there now.

This evening I had 2 alu (potato) parathas - 1 portion of channa (chick peas) - 1 portions of a gobi (cauliflower) dish - plus a pakora - all vegan - nicely spiced - all for HK$33 (just over US$4) exactly 'I am satisfied'.

Updated from previous review on Friday June 15, 2007
A difficult place to review. Not easy to categorize. Super simple - super basic - super cheap. Friendly - often quite exuberant staff. The "Sardar Ji" at the counter will forget your order within 30 seconds. Seating for 4 small people or 2.5 large people in the storeroom at the rear. Cooked dishes come down in the elevator from the upstairs branch of Smrat. Unfortunate name - the hellish Chung King Mansions building certainly has numerous rats but Smrat is clean. I eat there often - it is always a good experience. No menu that I have ever seen. Alu paratha's / channa masala / alu matar / tarka dhal etc. I do not bother with the microwave - room temperature is just fine for me. I also love Monty Python & The Goon Show.
Updated from previous review on Friday June 15, 2007

Pros: You decide

Cons: You decide

Return to Kowloon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Smrat Pure Veg - Ground Floor Chungking closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2218 times since Aug 2007.