Smoke and Barrel

Contact 202-319-9353

2471 18th St NW (at Columbia Rd NW, in Adams Morgan area), Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20009

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers a creative take on barbeque, with many vegetarian and vegan options, in addition to a global look at food-friendly craft beer, and a Kentucky bias for on list of over 100 whiskeys. A casual environment with country cooking. Previously named Asylum.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by LisaC

Amazing!!! - Edit

We came here because we were going to go somewhere else but it was closed, so we were kind of upset. This place made us INCREDIBLY happy. When we saw the menu, and all the vegan options my sister and I freaked out. The vegan French toast, vegan wings , vegan donuts and vegan vanilla ice cream was amazing! Absolutely delicious- really. The wings even had a fake bone in it, and were so realistic (non vegan approved!!) and everything else was just as delicious. The donuts were covered in cinnamon and sugar, and even though they were sweet potato flavored, it wasn't a weird combination at all- you barely taste it. 100% recommend. A tip: if you have a sweet tooth order the French toast with a side of maple syrup- delish!

good food for all! - Edit

I love going to places that offer meat and also vegan food, because it allows me to eat with my non vegan friends who are less adventurous. Problem is, sometimes places that offer some vegan things are actually not good. Smoke and Barrel is the exception! They have a very extensive vegan menu, which has grown each year. They now have a fake chicken sandwich that is amazing, and might have bumped my favorite (BBQ tofu) out of its #1 spot. I wish the friends okra was vegan : (, but there are so many other options that you'll be fine. Oh - get the wings. My god - I have dreams about their vegan wings.

something for everyone - Edit

I went here with my omnivorous friend for brunch. We both thoroughly enjoyed our appetizers and entrees. There were a good number of choices for both of us. My friend even enjoyed sampling my vegan food. The only complaint that I could make was that our service was terribly slow, especially considering that they weren't packed. I would definitely return here the next time I'm in Adams Morgan.

Pros: variety for everyone, garage nearby

Cons: street parking can be difficult

Exceptional vegetarian/vegan BBQ - Edit

This place is really wonderful. They do several vegetarian and vegan versions of traditional BBQ style food, including the best seitan wings I've ever had. We've eaten here several times and the food is uniformly delicious. The waitstaff is helpful and always warns us if we are ordering something that is not vegan.

The bar selection is also top-notch. They have a rotating collection of very good beers and a large list of American whiskeys, including but not limited to excellent bourbon). The staff is also extremely knowledgeable about the drinks and is eager to talk to about it.

Pros: Delicious food, Great bar

Amazing Vegan Wings! - Edit

Went here with two vegetarians and a non-vegetarian and everyone was satisfied. If as a vegetarian you've been missing hot wings the vegan hot wings will satisfy your craving, and quite honestly are even better than real chicken. We got the buffalo bleu flavour and the whole table enjoyed every bites. Simply amazing. Even the non-vegetarian server admitted loving them.

We also ordered the spare ribs which were really good, with the creamy, cheesy jalapeño grits. However the fish cutlet sandwich was underwhelming, especially after the great vegan sandwiches we had had at other places around D.C.

Overall really great place, especially if you're looking for somewhere that both vegans/vegetarians and meat-eaters will love.

Brunch haven in Adams Morgan - Edit

This place is good for vegan grits, home fries, donuts (they aren't really donuts though in texture), French toast and the like for brunch. The menu for vegans is remarkably similar to Asylum, which used to be in this space. The service is also similar in attitude and speed- high and slow, respectively.

If you liked Asylum, you'll be happy here. It's good for that style of food! Nothing super exciting, but great that it's vegan. The sweet potato and oat burger is something different, too. Sides can includes cole slaw, too.

The regular menu extends late into the night and can be really helpful if you're stuck in Adams Morgan and dragged here with friends. Vegan wings, ribs, BBQ, sandwiches, tacos, and plenty of sides like asparagus, fries and sweet potato fries or whole.

Overall, good choice if dragged here, and for brunch, quite satisfying for junk vegan food! Yum!

Pros: Vegan brunch!, Grits!, Vegan 'donuts'

Cons: Service, Like Asylum

Great Atmosphere, Food, and Beer - Edit

I would give it five "happy cows," but that option is reserved for vegetarian restaurants.

I was just wowed by everything with this restaurant. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, hip and modern, but woodsy and tavern-like. It all comes together very well. All of the staff we encountered seemed to be on top of things and were very friendly.

With lots of beers on draft and a huge whiskey selection, the drink options are great.

For appetizers, we shared a veggie chilli and vegan wings ("muddy"). The chilli was incredibly simple but so delicious. It was a mix of a few kinds of beans, some corn, and BBQ sauce. No fake meat or anything, which in this case, worked really well. The wings actually looked like small drumsticks with a skewer for the bone. They looked pretty awesome. The texture was impeccable and the sauce absolutely delicious. We actually ended up tearing up a few pieces of wings and putting them in the chilli and it made it even more exciting.

For my entree, I ordered the vegan spare ribs with a side of coleslaw. There were several other vegan entrees that sounded good, so it was nice having some choices. The dish was presented really well. It was pieces of "meat" that seemed slightly charred then cooked in BBQ sauce with bell pepper strips, onions, and pine nuts. The coleslaw was simple, fairly dry, and paired very well. It was all pretty good.

One of my favorite parts was the bottle of spicy BBQ sauce on the table that was also sweet. I put it on everything and it made already great food even more flavorful.

I wish I had saved room for dessert. They offer vegan vanilla ice cream with different fruit drizzle flavors.

I will definitely be back and highly recommend it to others.

Pros: Atmosphere, Menu options (both food and drinks)

Vegan Wings are Amazing! - Edit

Delicious food, lots of vegan and vegetarian options. The vegan wings are incredible. The jalapeno grits cake are so delicious (vegetarian but not vegan). Awesome beer selection. Can't wait to go back here!

Pros: excellent food, knowlegable and friendly staff

Great Brunch - Edit

I actually haven't been here since the name changed from Asylum, but I heard their vegan brunch is still great. I loved it and their vegetarian tacos. Yum, yum!

Pros: Brunch, Veg bar food, Cheap drinks

Cons: Sometimes crowded, Can get loud (it's a bar)

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Smoke and Barrel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2670 times since Aug 2007.