CLOSED: Smell the Bread

Contact 941-922-4515

3482 Clark Rd (at Beneva), Sarasota, Florida, USA, 34231

Serves meat, vegan options available. Quick service natural foods kitchen, open May 1, 2013. Uses organic produce in sandwiches & salads. Has organic coffee and smoothies, vegetarian and vegan choices. Confirmed closed, May 2016. Mon-Sat 10:00am-3:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by GigglingPixie

A+ - Edit

I can't believe I've never reviewed Smell the Bread before. I go there often, either to meet a friend or to pick up lunch during work.

I've never had anything that wasn't fantastic here. Jennifer is friendly and knowledgable, and the food is satisfying and delicious. My also-vegan son is addicted to their black bean soup.

Highly recommend, and I hope someday Smell the Bread will expand.

Pros: Delicious food, Relaxed atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: They don't sell bread yet!

Delicious goodies! - Edit

I had a pear-quinoa muffin at Smell the Bread, and it was awesome! SO good. They also made lemon-chia scones, which were great, too. I'm not much into lemon flavor, but I was impressed. It was a good mate for dipping in my organic coffee. It was nothing extraordinary, but they do a great job, and I would go back for a sweet breakfast and some lunch.

Birthday Breakfast - Edit

Excellent! Calling the day before, I asked for an assortment of 100% vegan cakes and muffins for a friend's birthday breakfast. What we received were still warm and some of the best lemon/chia scones, coffeecake, assorted muffins/cakes and on Saturday only the fabulous "cinnamon rolls. We are looking forward to our next visit. Yummy!

Pros: Fresh and quality ingredients, Owner operated , delicious food

Great Vegan Options - Edit

While vacationing in Siesta Key we ate lunch twice at Smell The Bread. We are both vegans and were thrilled to find another place we can eat in Sarasota. Our first visit we both had one of their vegan sandwiches which were very good and quite filling. Our second visit my husband had the Quinoa Salad and I had the Sprouted Green Salad. Since we wanted to try one of their soups, we shared a cup of the lentil soup. They provided crostinis for on the salads which were a nice addition since they do not serve bread with them. I had the Sprouted Green Salad and it was one of the best salads I have ever had. Since they serve meat I cannot give them a five-star rating, but I highly recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Excellent Food

A Welcome Addition - Edit

My wife and I tried this recent addition in Sarasota today, and we were very satisfied. There are a number of menu picks that are vegan, and we shared the "Boston" Banh Mi sandwich on a house-made roll, with lentil salad on the side. Very tasty! We also brought home a scone to have tomorrow - looking forward to it. The place is clean and the people are friendly; many ingredients are made in-house here. I'm looking forward to sampling more of them.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 22, 2013

Smell the Bread quickly became our favorite lunch place in Sarasota. (Breakfast, too, if we get to town early enough!) We've never been disappointed by any of their many menu items we've tried, and family and friends we've brought there love the food, as well. I don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Great food and friendly people!

Pros: Tasty vegan menu selection, House-made baked goods and ingredients, Clean and attractive

Cons: None so far

Wonderful Food! - Edit

We love this place. I am vegan and it is very hard to find anything to eat in a normal restaurant. We had the Quiona Spinach Burger, The Harvest Burger, Chili and it was all delicious. Not all in one day of course (lol)we have eaten there 3 times. We are on vacation and plan to eat there a few more days before we have to go home from our vacation. We ate at another vegan restaurant in Sarasota and what a disappointment compared to Smell The Bread. Wonderful owners, very clean and nice atmosphere. The price is very affordable. Today's meal for two was $22.00 and we each had ice tea to drink. The food not only taste good but stays with you. Even if you aren't vegan or vegetarian you will love the food. They have sustainable chicken for those who eat meat. They deserve 5 stars but I am only allowed to give them 4 because they serve meat.

Pros: Delicious Food, Wonderful Service, Very affordable

Cons: N/A

I LOVE this place - Edit

This is my favorite place to eat in Sarasota. Not only does the food taste amazing, it's mostly vegan, organic, non-GMO, gluten free and 100% Humane! I would eat here every day if I could. This place is one of the best things to happen to Sarasota.

Pros: Excellent Food, Great gluten-free, vegan pastries, All their plastics are compostable!

What a menu - Edit

All non-GMO, many Gluten-free menu items, vegan and vegetarian choices, locally owned. Would frequent if I lived closer.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 20, 2013

Was asked to pick a place for my birthday lunch on Christmas eve. This was it. Third visit. Still excellent. Owner-operator is excited to provide all non-GMO clean food with plenty of vegan and gluten-free options. Awarded her the Happy Cow Excellence decal.

Pros: Healthy menu, Friendly staff, Owner-operator committed to clean food

Yummy - Edit

Have eaten here many times and the quality of the food is beyond compare, the prices good, the establishment clean and a good value for your money. I have allergies and they go out of their way to accommodate me. Did I mention the food is quite tasty?!

Pros: Accomodating To My Allergies

Cons: Not Open For Dinner

Nice small cafe - Edit

We just stopped by Smell the Bread today, and they had just run out of the last gluten free muffin when we got there. It was early afternoon, and they had some non-gluten free baked goods still left that all looked good.
We had a bowl of the soup of the day, which was a split pea, and a coffee. It is a small place, and for the coffee you have two choices: almond milk, or half & half. The soup was great with a side of strips of toast, and a little garnish of salad & two pickles. They have many gluten free options, even gluten free rolls for your sandwich.
There are many good sounding fresh juiced juices, salads, and sandwiches as well. Hope to try more items soon.

Pros: Healthy, Gluten free, organic

Cons: small, limited selection sometimes

Great Cafe! - Edit

I work in Sarasota in the summertime and was surprised when I spied this place on my HappyCow app as I didn't remember it from last summer. That would be because they just opened in May and boy am I glad they did. Great little place.

Like most vegans I would be thrilled if they didn't serve any meat at all, but they are dairy free (but for a few sealed creamers for their coffee customers). All of their baked goods are vegan, and they have a gluten-free offering as well.

I had a quinoa burger that came highly recommended and it lived up to the hype. Delicious and served on what I believe was the most delicious gluten-free bun I've ever had, along with fresh baby spinach and what tasted like a delicious homemade ketchup. There were two huge hunks of pickle served on the side which I slid under the bun, and a side of tasty lentil salad with some celery for crunch.

I also grabbed a pear muffin which I ate later and it was moist and delicious with a wonderful texture, not at all odd like some gluten-free baked goods can be.

The staff was warm and friendly, and the place was full (always a good sign). I ended up sitting outside, which is not always fabulous on a summer day in Florida, but it was raining, so it wasn't too bad. The outdoor tables are under an awning, so there was no real danger of me getting wet.

As I was leaving I ran into another couple who asked if they could share my table and they informed me they've been back three times already since discovering this place recently. I can see why.

Thank you, Smell The Bread, for adding to the sparse vegan options in Sarasota. You are a welcome addition. Now if only you'd start selling your bread/buns, I'd be thrilled.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Gluten-free options

Cons: also serves meat

Delicious vegan food & pastries. - Edit

Happy vegan ate here : ) Everything here is made from scratch! I went here for the first time after I read great things about their vegan pastries. I ordered the VEGAN coffee cake & cinnamon stacker...YUMMY! It was so good that I decided to come back for a take out lunch...ordered the VEGAN BLT...again YUMMY!!! The owner Jennifer was telling me about how they make everything from scratch...like the tempeh, etc...which was delicious! Can't wait to come back to try more vegan items on the menu...especially the vegan ice cream. Restaurant was clean (important) and the staff was friendly : )
Updated from previous review on Monday June 03, 2013

Pros: excellent vegan food, clean and modern, friendly, helpful staff

Return to Sarasota Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Smell the Bread closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2065 times since Apr 2013.