CLOSED: Sluggo's

Contact 850-791-6501

101 S Jefferson St (at downtown), Pensacola, Florida, USA, 32501

All ages music venue with vegan food menu. Moved from W Cervantes. NOTE: maybe closed - please verify and let HappyCow know. Confirmed closed December 2016. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-1:00am.

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by aglenn0

Awesome vegan place - Edit

I love this place & happy hour till 7. Food is excellent and the vibe is special and its location is really convenient.

Updated from previous review on 2016-06-16

Pros: Food, location, staff

Cons: none

Very tasty - Edit

Very tasty food, food came out reasonably quick, and the service was decent. The only reason I don't rate it 5 stars is because of the set up inside was a bit strange. It was dark and the bathroom was out of the way.

Contributions +394

Not Bad - Edit

This place wasn't bad. It kind of has a dive bar feel and the food wasn't great but it wasn't terrible. The wings and salad I had were good but my sandwich wasn't that great. Overall not bad.

Fantastic vegan food in s funky little place - Edit

This "Vegetarian" restaurant is perfect for vegans and non vegans alike because the food (vegan) is so fantastic that no one will care that they aren't eating meat! My aunt, uncle and I (Happy to eat vegan, not so much, and hard core ethical vegan..in that order) ate here after they picked me up from the Pensacola airport. The waitress, Jasmine was super helpful and gave us great suggestions. She was correct that we were ordering waayyyy toooo much food. We got the chili nacho platter, and then each had an entree. We ended up bringing most of the entrees home because the portions are so huge! That's awesome though! More deliciousness for later! At one point during the meal, we burst into laughter because we realized that we had all stopped talking and were just making awful noises like animals eating. That is how great it was.

Pros: huge menu, large portions , very cheap (3 people full meals + app and drinks 4

Cons: decor could be updated but didn't detract from the

Where everybody knows your name.... - Edit

Seriously the bartender learned our name after our first visit! Yes we went there twice while on vacation despite the fact that it was 45 minutes out of the way. Jasmine was an awesome bartender. And the spicy cheeky "wings" were delicious. I highly recommend if you get nothing else... get at least one order of these.
The food was good. The atmosphere is very laid back. Yes it is dark, it's a bar. Also, when you walk in you order at the bar, then go to your table. Sometimes if they are busy it does take a little while to get food but it is well worth it.
I loved the artwork on the wall, the laid back atmosphere, the friendly staff, and the food... the food is awesome.

Pros: Atmosphere, Excellent food, Friendly Staff

Cons: Outside signage needs improving, Difficult to locate for visitors, Better signs about ordering at bar

YUM - Edit

On vacation and stopped into Sluggo's today and thought it was awesome! I had zucchini cakes that were puffy and delicious and a side of mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy which was also great. Would definitely go back, the girl working was very friendly.

Pros: All vegan, Inexpensive, Good Variety

Cons: Dark, Needs more signage, ex.-seat yourself

I Love This Place!! - Edit

I stop at Sluggo's every time I am go through Pensacola, Which is a couple time a year for the last 3 years. Tasty food indeed! And a decent beer selection. I love the cheeky wings and the lentil patty melt !! Since the vegan place where I live is only open for lunch I can really appreciate the extended hours of operation at Sluggo's. Keep up the good work! :)

Pros: Great Food, Beer Selection, Great Hours

Disappointed - Edit

Well to have Many good reviews . I was very disappointed didn't lead up to any of the expectation the reviews have stated . The first thing is when walking in Nobody explains on how the management works . I had walked in with family so as confused as we are we had no help, even getting it help no one really paid attention so we learn on our own . To top it off the food Took over 30 minutes to arrive at our table. Finally able to dig into the food Our tastebugs were thrown off , Did not even taste as the flavor they stated in the menu . I had the so called "BBQ sub " the BBQ tasted just like Marinara sauce . I'm from Texas and when it comes to BBQ we don't play around . So after that failed I turn to look at my side I had gotten curry lentils . Which did not taste like a curry and had a weird aftertaste . I personally wouldn't recommend it . It needs to be improve before I go back again

Pros: Jukebox , Art pleasuring to the eye, Cheap

Cons: Service is bad , Dark lighting , Not enough space

My GoTo Pensacola Restaurant - Edit

Sluggo's is a Pensacola Tradition and continues to evolve. They have always been a great music venue and after hours hangout. I had not been there in a decade until my Vegan conversion. Once I figured out what I could eat and searched for some unique options.

Sluggo's is Awesome and the restaurant I eat at the most. They have great sandwiches, wonderful bowls, good nachos, chili and mashed potatoes with Vegan gravy. Yummy!

Very cool place with super nice people. I think they can smell Birgin Vegans, so they offer help. I had no idea what some of the food was at first. I'm already a Veteran of Vegan dining.

This app is the best. Please post reviews for all. I have already used many of them and plan to help others.

Pros: Wide variety of options. , Vegan Comfort Food, Great Location

Yummy FOOD! - Edit

The woman working there was so nice and helpful. I'm staying in Pensacola for a few months and was pleasantly surprised there were several vegan/vegetarian restaurants in town. Sluggo's is pretty chill and the staff was very friendly. I had the lentil loaf, collard greens and key lime pie. Everything was fantastic, especially the key lime pie! I will definitely go back in the near future.

Pros: Inexpensive, Great food, Friendly staff

Cons: Not open Sunday :(

Don't let the decore fool you...Awesome Food - Edit

We love Sluggo's. We recently moved to Pensacola and are so happy to have a spot with such great food. I have three young kids and we feel comfortable there even though it is a bar. I honestly haven't had a bad dish there. Yes, it is a bit of a dive but in some ways that makes it better. It makes you feel comfortable you don't have to dress up, just come as you are and eat great food!

Pros: vegan, great food, comfortable

Cons: bar, dark

Good food! - Edit

My husband and I were visiting the Pensacola, FL/Gulf Shores, AL area, and, being a vegetarian, I was looking for veg friendly places to eat. I happened across Sluggo's here on Happy Cow and, I can say that I agree with most of the other reviewers here. The food is very good, and the portions are large! I was unable to finish my meal. The only thing that prevents me from giving Sluggo's five stars is the fact that it is a bit of a dive. It is very small and the interior could definitely use a bit of TLC. But the food makes up for the lack of atmosphere, and we will visit Sluggo's again the next time we are in Pensacola.

Pros: Excellent food, Large portions

Cons: Interior of restaurant needs attention

Check this place out! - Edit

Ok,the decor is drab and not very inviting; but,give it a try, because the food is fantastic. I had ck'd out their website and menu and decided to make the trip to Pensacola and treat myself to Sluggo's for my birthday. It's not the Ritz, but everything I tried was great. The nachos are the best I've ever had...PERIOD. The chili would qualify for a blue ribbon at any Texas cook-off, and everything else I tried was top-notch. I can't wait to go back. I want to try everything on the menu. To say the prices were reasonable is a gross understatement. The lady that took my order was right there when she should have been and very friendly, but didn't hover. Try this place out.

Pros: excellent food, great prices, friendly staff

Cons: drab decor

Yummy - Edit

Went here because I saw the good ratings on HappyCow, and, boy, were the ratings right.

Amazingly delicious vegan food. The atmosphere is a bit punkish and dirty, which is fine, but I feel like the place needs a little TLC.

I had a philly cheese sandwich with seitan, vegan cheese, onions and peppers. So good. And the mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy are top notch.

awesome - Edit

We ate here while visiting from out of town, and the food was amazing! Over the course of a few days, we ordered the club sandwich, the reuben, the nori wrapped tofu (forgot what the dish was called), the tacos, and the hot wings. Everything we had was so good, I wish we had a restaurant like it in TX. Even though it has been a few months since we were there, I still think about that club sandwich all the time!

Pros: service, food, location

Sluggo's - Edit

We just happened upon Sluggo's thanks to the handy gps. Our whole party was pleasantly surprised with our orders. You can see photos and what we ordered here: http://veganinthekitchen.com/2010/08/30/meatless-monday-a-couple-of-tofu-dishes-from-a-cool-place-called-sluggo%E2%80%99s/
Updated from previous review on Monday August 30, 2010

Pros: Excellent Food, Southern Vegan

Return to Pensacola Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Sluggo's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.