Sluggo's North Vegetarian Cafe

Contact 423-752-5224

501 Cherokee Blvd (at Hill City neighborhood), Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA, 37405

Serving vegan food in Chattanooga since late 2009. Sandwiches, nachos, seitan and tofu clubs, philly, BBQ tofu, cajun carrot cakes, pot stickers, hummus, cheeky wings, mashed potatoes, and more. Simple atmosphere with some tables and a bar. Different theme nights like movie pizza night. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering, Southern

First Review by dev-null

Awsome - Edit

We found this little gem of a restaurant and could not get enough of it. In our 4 days in Chattanooga we went there 3 times. Between the 4 of us we had a variety of dishes. They were call wonderful including the burritos. Quesadillas, seitan plate and chickpea burger. They do not have wine but do have great beer, including a Tennessee stout that paired with all meals perfectly.

What a gem! - Edit

Frustrated by spending all day in the car, I had little hope of finding anything for lunch on the ride to Atlanta. Decided to open the Happy Cow app and found that I was only 10 minutes from Sluggo's North.
Even though the signage says Sluggo's Vegetarian, everything is vegan.

Stood staring at the menu for a long time and it all sounded great.

Decided on the in-house made mushroom burger plate because the guy at the counter said it was good. Got the sweet potato mash as my side plus the salad.

When my plate came out, it was an explosion of color and food. The burger is great, loads of flavor and some crispy caramelized crusty goodness on the patty. The mash was also good and had an interesting flavor profile--more exotic (maybe cumin) than your typical Thanksgiving/brown sugar stuff.

The salad was fresh and the homemade Russian dressing was perfect in both the burger and salad.

Yum--turned a rather annoying day into a surprising treat.

Pros: all vegan menu, nice variety of food, large portion a

Cons: it's the middle of TN and its summer--it's hot in

Sluggos is amazing! - Edit

Visited Sluggos North for the first time today while passing through Chattanooga. It was AMAZING! Very cool/hip ambiance - feels like a Starbucks meets street art vibe. The food was delicious! Although it seemed a little pricey, the portions were huge and well worth the money. It was everything I could have asked for, a true vegan/ vegetarian paradise. Menu is large with lots of choices. Try the Philly Seitan - it's top notch!

Pros: all vegan menu, large portions, hip vibe & friendly staff

Cons: limited parking, small seating space, no regular menu desserts

Would drive two hours for lunch - Edit

My husband and I LOVE Sluggo's! We've driven down from Nashville just for lunch! I always get the Culture Club with a side of beans and a salad with their tahini dressing. I've tried to recreate it at home but it is never just right. The sandwich is delicious too. Before going vegan a club was one of my go too menu items, so it is fun to have a place to get a good, compassionate one. My only complaint is that the guy taking our order (it has always been the same one) seems annoyed that we are in the restaurant. I promise we are not demanding or rude, and we've never been there when it is busy. It is kind of a turn off, but once those plates hit the table, all is forgiven. I wish they would open a Nashville location!
Update: I have moved on from the culture club and now love the lentil melt. The texture is so good and I love the mushrooms on it. The store has moved locations and is very nice now! Also, the rude guy from before has gotten much nicer. Sluggo's rules.

Pros: great food, tahini dressing

Best for hundreds of miles - Edit

This place is all vegan (even tho' name says Vegetarian) and the food is AMAZING. Seriously good, unique, and put together with thought and house-made sauces. My only regret is not eating there at least one more time during our 2 days in Chattanooga.

Pros: good value, great food, great atmosphere

Great food & cool ambience - Edit

An amazing vegan place! Kale-ginger salad and butternut squash we ordered were very delicious, oil-free and low on salt : )

And they even had chop sticks for us!

And also excellent service : )

Great Food - Edit

If I'm anywhere close to town I'm eating here. Great food and daily specials are special. Today I had jerk curry which was a daily special. Great flavor a and lots of it.

Pros: great flavor, great size, all vegan

Cons: staff not very friendly, but ok, not much parking on street

Amazing food, huge portions - Edit

Spending the weekend in Chattanooga and had dinner here. Very casual place, funky little dive but spacious and comfortable. We had the Spicy Cheeky Seitan wings, the Berlinger reuben sandwich and the pecan crusted setian which came with a ton of mashed potatoes and gravy, southern collard greens, cornbread and salad. Everything was so delicious and we were stuffed. We are probably going back for lunch. There are too many things on the menu to choose from. They also have local sodas and local beer on tap. Plenty of free parking in the back which was nice.

Pros: Kid friendly, Good value, Excellent Food

DY-NO-MITE!!!! - Edit

Myself (vegan) and a typical meat eater just had a fantastically delicious lunch...The Berliner, cheeky wings and tofu ginger curry bowl. The Abita root beer on tap was the icing on the cake. The decor was very laid back and comfortable. Lastly...good people:)

Pros: awesome food, kind staff

Cons: not one

Pet friendly and good food! - Edit

We were traveling through the area and I found this place through Happy Cow! I always look for locally owned veg*n or veg*n friendly restaurants when we are traveling. This time we were traveling with our dog. We were lucky to find Sluggo's that had outside seating. Our dog laid on the patio area while we ate delicious food. I highly recommend the Berliner. Supposedly it is like a Reuben sandwich (I never had one before going vegan since I never liked red meat) but this sandwich is awesome!
The staff was very friendly. The atmosphere was laid back. They were very welcoming to our dog at the outdoor seating area. Really good food!

Pros: Outdoor seating, pet friendly, Good food, Friendly Staff

Cons: Parking is difficult, Difficult to locate for visitors

AMAZING - Edit

Sluggo's was my Aunts 1st vegan experience. When she tried my Lentil Patty Melt she nearly fell back in her chair, she said it was better than any beef burger she had ever had, and I agree ! It was tender with many similar qualities except much better. My Aunt also really enjoyed her Sweet Chili Thai Bowl. Sluggos was very run down but the food was so good I didn't care !
Updated from previous review on Monday October 27, 2014

Pros: Best vegan burger EVER

Cons: bad atmosphere

Great Food, but Nasty Setting - Edit

The food is delicious, but get it to go because the atmosphere in this place is downright unpleasant - holes in the seats, dust everywhere, cob webs hanging from the light fixtures, filthy surfaces, etc. If the dining room is this dirty, it makes me wonder how clean the kitchen is. This place always has a line of people waiting to order, so I know business is good. You have some pretty strong competition within walking distance (Cashew and Whole Foods buffet), so I don't understand why you don't invest in a little upgrading. If you can't afford to re-upolster the seats, at least put duct tape on the holes. And folks, it doesn't cost anything to clean!

Pros: Really tasty food

Cons: Nasty, run-down dining room

Perfect for Lunch - Edit

My husband and I were visiting from Atlanta and stopped at Sluggo's for lunch. We loved both of our dishes and beer. The restaurant is quaint, with plenty of seating for a lunch crowd. It was easy to find and right down the road from one of the best Whole Foods we've been to. Loved it and definitely recommend Sluggo's to anyone!

Pros: Easy to find, Delicious food and beer, Easy parking

Cons: Ramp from major highway closed, Bathroom lighting is a little dark

Vegan Comfort Food At Its Best! - Edit

I eat here at least once a week, and I never get tired of it. If it is your first time, I highly recommend trying one of the daily specials. All of my favs have been the special of the day, like the curried "chicken" salad wrap and their dumpling trio. The zucchini cakes are out of this world, and their Sunday brunch menu is worth waiting all week for. I highly recommend this place for anyone, vegan or not.

First Time Here - Happy, Happy, Happy - Edit

Had lentil soup, tacos & oatmeal/raspberry bar. Everything was delicious & filling. Only small suggestion is to put more seasoning in the black beans that come w the taco dinner. Paid $16 & really happy w the meal. Good parking options when I was there.

some good food items, but greasy atmosphere - Edit

The Pesto Bruschetta was delicious. Great tasting bread and toppings.

The Pecan Dusted Seitan served over mashed potatoes with gray was unique and delicious. However, the other sides with it were lackluster. The cornbread was dry and flavorless (inedible). The greens were bitter and acidic. I wish I could have gotten just the seitan and potatoes and gravy.

The Soy Taco plate was... not very taco-y. I've had TVP tacos that remind me of tacos, but this reminded me more of a salad. It was very pretty. But the taste just wasn't there. (should have tried a sandwich instead, as those have some good reviews)

The service/atmosphere was... not the best. You order at the counter and they bring the food to your table. You pour your own drinks, but the pitcher of iced tea was empty after 1 glass, so we weren't able to get any refills. The ventilation in there was really bad too. We smelled of smoke and grease after leaving -- kinda gross!

In the end, I'm glad we stopped there while traveling through, as the bruschetta and seitan were worth it. If I lived in the area, though, this wouldn't be a place I'd frequent.

Cons: greasy atmosphere, drink station not kept up

Best place in town - Edit

Always friendly, always fresh, always delicious. I eat here at least once a week, and love that there is no question to what I can and can't eat. Try the sweet Thai chili bowl, pecan dusted seitan, or one of their unique specials. Zucchini cakes are a must to start with!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 07, 2013

Pros: everything

Cons: none

absolutely fab-U-lous!!! - Edit

The flavors were surprisingly good (said by a meat eater), portions were tremendous, and Chattanooga pilsner was fantastic. We were both very satisfied. And we highly recommend this place for anyone who likes to eat. Everything was so fresh and flavorful, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you are in Chattanooga area without giving this place a try!!!!

Pros: flavor, quality, portions

Cons: none, absolutely none!

You've come to the right place! - Edit

My family of 5 ate here on March 11, 2013 for my husband's birthday. I was so nice. They even gave my husband a slice of cake free. The service is excellent and the staff is very friendly. We all can't wait to come back!!! The only bad thing is that one of my daughters has a Severe peanut allergy so I'd like to see all common allergens clearly marked on are products. Some of the desserts I didn't know if they contained peanuts so I just skipped them for her.

Pros: All vegan choices, Large portions, Economical

Cons: Allergens should be marked on all foods, Poor Beverage choices

Insanely Good - Edit

I have to admit that I ate here two days in a row, it was so good. Their sandwiches, sides, plates, ALL of it is delicious! They have a wide variety of veg dishes and huge portions. Rich flavors and colorful salads. I'd come back tomorrow if I were still going to be in town. A vegan must.

Pros: huge portions, savory, green

Cons: sticky cups

My Favorite Restaurant in Chatt - Edit

I come here every week. I love this place so much. I have tried different dishes every time I visited and was NEVER disappointed. For the first time customer I recommend the walnut burger! Great spice and fresh. For the appetizer order the zucchini grizzled cakes. DELICIOUS.

Pros: AMAZING foods, relaxing and casual , Again, amazing!

Cons: NONE:)

awesome! - Edit

I came to chattanooga to visit some non-veg friends. I found Sluggos on Happy Cow and we went there to eat, everyone loved it. highly recommended for vegans and non vegans alike

Pros: excellent food

Cons: none

The very best. Seriously! - Edit

While visiting Chattanooga, my boyfriend and I visited here. We ordered two sandwiches with sides, the seitan wings as an appetizer, and a chocolate chip bar.... All for $25! And it was all superb. I highly recommend it!

Pros: inexpensive, DELICIOUS, Great food options

Cons: none!

a-ma-zing - Edit

Went to the Sluggo's in Pensacola, Fla., a year ago and as soon as I saw there was one in Chat. I knew I'd have to visit. Absolutely delicious. The philly cheesesteak is the bomb. I swear I could give this sandwich to my parents (meat-eaters) and they wouldn't be able to tell the difference!

Pros: freshness, price, chill people

Gloriously delicious vegan country / junk food - Edit

We stopped at Sluggo's on our trip home from Florida. Worth the detour! Inspired, delicious diner food, no death involved! We had the Berliner, which was a vegan Reuben. Words cannot aptly describe the feeling biting into a Reuben so gooey with cheese, messy with kraut, and stuffed with faux roast beef. We also shared the pecan crusted seitan and mashed potatoes covered in mushroom gravy. Pretty darn close to the best vegan chik*n fried steak in the country (the best is still the Chicago Diner). The portions were huge, the ambience deliciously dive-y, the staff very tattooed but friendly, the prices very reasonable. Highly recommended!! Someone should tell Guy Fieri about Sluggo's!

Pros: Food, Price/Value, Cool dive ambience

Cons: It's in Chattanooga

First Time Customer - Edit

Outstanding Food. Great Prices. Large Portions. Even my wife, who is NON-VEGAN enjoyed the NACHOS. I had the Black Bean Burrito sans cheese & a side-order of Garlic Potatoes in Mushroom Gravy! Super! I/We will return again. Only VEGAN restaurant I've found within 50-miles of Fort Payne, AL. . Kudos. 5-stars in my opinion! ;-))

Pros: Selection, Price, Portion Size

Cons: Distance, Gas Money, Time

awesome all around!! :-D - Edit

very homey cozy cafe atmosphere with beautiful artwork on the walls, very eclectic decor with lots to look at and talk about!! the menu is VERY exciting with lots of wonderful choices!! my five year old loved it, as did me and my husband. The food was sooooo delicious, served beatifully, and very timely!! Sluggo's will be a regular for us from now on!! ya GOTTA try the potstickers!!! yummmmy!!! any place that has yeast flakes in a shaker and agave as a sweetner has GOT to be good!!

Pros: everything!

Cons: none!!

An wonderful experience - Edit

I have eaten at Sluggo's several and have enjoyed the food and the experience every time. The food is great even to my non-veg friends and the staff was extremely nice. I love eating there.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Cons: lumpy seats!

Damn good food, but questionable staff. - Edit

In response to "does this item contain soy?", the waiter responded "soy, is that like ... um ... gluten free?" I wouldn't think twice about this response at a normal restaurant, but for a vegan one, this is unacceptable.

That said, the food is top notch, especially the pecan encrusted seitan steak.

Pros: fantastic food, atmosphere, beer selection

Cons: ill-informed staff, a little pricey

Sluggo's Packs Whallop - Edit

I have only been a vegan for about 6 weeks, so I have not tried a whole lot of places yet, but this restaurant was so good, even meat-eaters would love it. I had a faux-reuben sandwich and collard greens that were out of this world. I'd recommend it to anyone, vegetarian, vegan or not.

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy cuisine, Huge portions

Cons: Weird hours, Excellent food, Huge portions!

MOST AWESOME VEGAN FOOD EVER - Edit

The mashed potatoes, gravy, hot wings, all of it---totally amazing. Best vegan carrot cake (or any variety of carrot cake for that matter) I have ever had. SUPER friendly staff, adorable. Yum. Yum. Triple-yum.

Pros: Delicious, All Vegan!, Cute!

Nice place. - Edit

Nice place. The food was enjoyable. The beer selection was limited, but there were a couple of nice beers. The service was good and friendly. The food came in a timely fashion. The environment is basic and parking is tight. We will be going back there.

Return to Chattanooga Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sluggo's North Vegetarian Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 12520 times since Nov 2009.