Sluggo's North Vegetarian Cafe

423-752-5224

505 Cherokee Blvd (at Hill City neighborhood), Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA, 37405

Serving vegan food in Chattanooga since late 2009. Sandwiches, nachos, seitan and tofu clubs, philly, BBQ tofu, cajun carrot cakes, pot stickers, hummus, cheeky wings, mashed potatoes, and more. Simple atmosphere with some tables and a bar. Different theme nights like movie pizza night. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering, Southern

First Review by dev-null

fun environment - Edit

Down to earth hippy joint with interesting food options.
The lentil burger with mash potatoes is good comfort food.
Potstickers are among the best I've had.

Pros: potstickers are awesome

Cons: don't do the seitan products especially, the wings

Yum! - Edit

Down home vegan eats! Sluggo's was the perfect reward after driving through a 600+ mile virtual vegan wasteland from the north. The prices are way reasonable and the portions huge! Everything we had tasted amazing... from the light and fluffy zucchini pancakes to the pecan dusted seitan to the fettuccine alfredo and the final slice of coconut cake! A must stop when passing through Chattanooga!

Pros: Vegan, Zucchini Pancakes

Awsome - Edit

We found this little gem of a restaurant and could not get enough of it. In our 4 days in Chattanooga we went there 3 times. Between the 4 of us we had a variety of dishes. They were call wonderful including the burritos. Quesadillas, seitan plate and chickpea burger. They do not have wine but do have great beer, including a Tennessee stout that paired with all meals perfectly.

What a gem! - Edit

Frustrated by spending all day in the car, I had little hope of finding anything for lunch on the ride to Atlanta. Decided to open the Happy Cow app and found that I was only 10 minutes from Sluggo's North.
Even though the signage says Sluggo's Vegetarian, everything is vegan.

Stood staring at the menu for a long time and it all sounded great.

Decided on the in-house made mushroom burger plate because the guy at the counter said it was good. Got the sweet potato mash as my side plus the salad.

When my plate came out, it was an explosion of color and food. The burger is great, loads of flavor and some crispy caramelized crusty goodness on the patty. The mash was also good and had an interesting flavor profile--more exotic (maybe cumin) than your typical Thanksgiving/brown sugar stuff.

The salad was fresh and the homemade Russian dressing was perfect in both the burger and salad.

Yum--turned a rather annoying day into a surprising treat.

Pros: all vegan menu, nice variety of food, large portion a

Cons: it's the middle of TN and its summer--it's hot in

go now! - Edit

Why support a regular joint when you can support a vegan joint?! This place was super tasty, lots of local offerings.

Sluggos is amazing! - Edit

Visited Sluggos North for the first time today while passing through Chattanooga. It was AMAZING! Very cool/hip ambiance - feels like a Starbucks meets street art vibe. The food was delicious! Although it seemed a little pricey, the portions were huge and well worth the money. It was everything I could have asked for, a true vegan/ vegetarian paradise. Menu is large with lots of choices. Try the Philly Seitan - it's top notch!

Pros: all vegan menu, large portions, hip vibe & friendly staff

Cons: limited parking, small seating space, no regular menu desserts

Would drive two hours for lunch - Edit

My husband and I LOVE Sluggo's! We've driven down from Nashville just for lunch! I always get the Culture Club with a side of beans and a salad with their tahini dressing. I've tried to recreate it at home but it is never just right. The sandwich is delicious too. Before going vegan a club was one of my go too menu items, so it is fun to have a place to get a good, compassionate one. My only complaint is that the guy taking our order (it has always been the same one) seems annoyed that we are in the restaurant. I promise we are not demanding or rude, and we've never been there when it is busy. It is kind of a turn off, but once those plates hit the table, all is forgiven. I wish they would open a Nashville location!
Update: I have moved on from the culture club and now love the lentil melt. The texture is so good and I love the mushrooms on it. The store has moved locations and is very nice now! Also, the rude guy from before has gotten much nicer. Sluggo's rules.

Pros: great food, tahini dressing

Place is fire - Edit

Love it here, had almost everything and it's all great

Pros: Good value, Large portions, Vibe/staff welcoming

best vegan restaurant - Edit

all vegan food very good food always fresh.

Pros: all vegan, fresh

Amazinggggg - Edit

Quirky atmosphere and delicious grub. I absolutely love this restaurant!

Pros: plant-based, easy parking

Best for hundreds of miles - Edit

This place is all vegan (even tho' name says Vegetarian) and the food is AMAZING. Seriously good, unique, and put together with thought and house-made sauces. My only regret is not eating there at least one more time during our 2 days in Chattanooga.

Pros: good value, great food, great atmosphere

Great food & cool ambience - Edit

An amazing vegan place! Kale-ginger salad and butternut squash we ordered were very delicious, oil-free and low on salt : )

And they even had chop sticks for us!

And also excellent service : )

Great Food - Edit

If I'm anywhere close to town I'm eating here. Great food and daily specials are special. Today I had jerk curry which was a daily special. Great flavor a and lots of it.

Pros: great flavor, great size, all vegan

Cons: staff not very friendly, but ok, not much parking on street

Amazing food, huge portions - Edit

Spending the weekend in Chattanooga and had dinner here. Very casual place, funky little dive but spacious and comfortable. We had the Spicy Cheeky Seitan wings, the Berlinger reuben sandwich and the pecan crusted setian which came with a ton of mashed potatoes and gravy, southern collard greens, cornbread and salad. Everything was so delicious and we were stuffed. We are probably going back for lunch. There are too many things on the menu to choose from. They also have local sodas and local beer on tap. Plenty of free parking in the back which was nice.

Pros: Kid friendly, Good value, Excellent Food

Awesome - Edit

Menu was overwhelming!! Food and service was unbelievable!! Even my non veg boyfriend was impressed. Will make the drive from Knoxville often!

Pros: Variety , Value

DY-NO-MITE!!!! - Edit

Myself (vegan) and a typical meat eater just had a fantastically delicious lunch...The Berliner, cheeky wings and tofu ginger curry bowl. The Abita root beer on tap was the icing on the cake. The decor was very laid back and comfortable. Lastly...good people:)

Pros: awesome food, kind staff

Cons: not one

Pet friendly and good food! - Edit

We were traveling through the area and I found this place through Happy Cow! I always look for locally owned veg*n or veg*n friendly restaurants when we are traveling. This time we were traveling with our dog. We were lucky to find Sluggo's that had outside seating. Our dog laid on the patio area while we ate delicious food. I highly recommend the Berliner. Supposedly it is like a Reuben sandwich (I never had one before going vegan since I never liked red meat) but this sandwich is awesome!
The staff was very friendly. The atmosphere was laid back. They were very welcoming to our dog at the outdoor seating area. Really good food!

Pros: Outdoor seating, pet friendly, Good food, Friendly Staff

Cons: Parking is difficult, Difficult to locate for visitors

AMAZING - Edit

Sluggo's was my Aunts 1st vegan experience. When she tried my Lentil Patty Melt she nearly fell back in her chair, she said it was better than any beef burger she had ever had, and I agree ! It was tender with many similar qualities except much better. My Aunt also really enjoyed her Sweet Chili Thai Bowl. Sluggos was very run down but the food was so good I didn't care !
Updated from previous review on Monday October 27, 2014

Pros: Best vegan burger EVER

Cons: bad atmosphere

Return to Chattanooga Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sluggo's North Vegetarian Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.