Sky Apple Cafe

Contact 01912092571

182 Heaton Rd, Heaton, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England, NE6 5HP

Operating since 2002 with current ownership since 2010. Daytime is cafe menu, takeaway, and prepared foods for heat and serve at home. Dinner is restaurant menu. Vegan items are marked. Vegan cakes also available for advance order. Reservation suggested for evenings. Metro: Byker or Chillingham Road, or bus 16,18. Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-3:30pm, Wed-Sat 6:00pm-10:00pm, Sat 10:00am-4:00pm, Sun 11:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by scallymuffin

An absolute must try if visiting Newcastle! - Edit

I honestly cannot rare this place enough! The food is absolutely fantastic and presented in a beautiful fashion. Portion sizes are always generous (despite the low price) and come served with an abundance of accompaniments. This is the place I go to for my birthday and whenever I have visitors. Even all my meat-eating friends love it. The staff are super friendly and were nice enough to coordinate with my mother back home a surprise birthday cake for me last year when I was there. So nice!

The only bad thing is that the cafe is not in the city center which means I can't go as often as I would like. However, if your just visiting I'd 100% make the 10 minute trip to Heaton to try. The menu changes ever two months and it's always exciting choices - you just know whoever designs the menu has a real passion for what they do!

The Place To Go! - Edit

Sky Apple is quite possibly one of my favourite restaurants and have been going for many years now. The evening menu changes often with new dishes added frequently and the quality of food on offer is always superb and presented beautifully. You can also bring your own booze (BYOB) but there is a small corkage charge. My personal favourites that I have sampled over the years is definitely the mushroom wellington, the battered halloumi and chips or the volcano! Orders can also be made for pick up too, be it during the day or on the evening if you ring in advance. Sky Apple now has its own deli next door that offers an excellent choice of sandwiches, salads, wraps and street food as well as vegan cakes, which is perfect if you want a quick lunch or if you have time, my advice is to take your lunch and eat it in Heaton Park which is opposite. For me I cannot find fault with Sky Apple at all. The staff are very friendly and the chef is superb, offering a diverse menu which caters for both vegans and vegetarians.

Pros: Fantastic Food & Deli, Great Staff, Bring Your Own Booze

Cons: Can be a bit cramped when full

Never disappoints! - Edit

I've been to Sky Apple several times, always in the evenings when it's no longer a "cafe"; it isn't cheap but it's not overpriced either and the price is reflected in the quality of the food, which is well cooked and always imaginative.
The menu changes every couple of months which is great as it gets boring as a vegan/veggie when you are limited to eating the same thing every time you go out!
There is always at least one vegan option in each course, with some options being veganised on request.
This is vegetarian paradise in my opinion, very good for vegans (the chef even makes his own vegan cheeses for some dishes) and is well loved by my meat-eating but veggie-sympathetic husband!
You get a mixture of couples dining and groups of friends...it gets quite loud when full and everyone is talking, so don't expect an intimate, romantic atmosphere!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff

Cons: Quiet conversation can be difficult

gorgeous veg and vegan food! - Edit

I recently visited with my meat-loving boyfriend - we both LOVED the food! Not all menu choices are vegan but the staff will happily make changes to accommodate vegan preferences. I had a burrito and my paleo-favouring boyfriend had a bunless burger - DIVINE. We both had a meal and a drink each for a total of £17, great value! It's a shame I'm moving back to Australia soon, I would love to go back to Sky Apple again!

Pros: tasty food, friendly vibe and staff, good value

Yum! - Edit

We had a lovely lunch at Sky Apple today. I used to live in the area and never gave it a try but wish I had. The atmosphere was warm and friendly with lots of families and groups even on a Wednesday lunchtime.

We seated ourselves on arrival and ordered drinks - they have a nice selection of coffee, tea and Fentimans drinks, as well as a wine and beer list that clearly denotes which are vegan. We decided on a couple of Fentimans orange jiggers.

The menu is excellent; everything sounds delicious and it was hard to choose. My omni partner went for the volcano, a tortilla stuffed with sweet potatoes, beans, sour cream and cheese, which he really enjoyed. I had a burger with cheese - it was meaty and smoky, and somehow wrapped in the cheese with lots of crispy bits. I had the option of chips, salad, or a bit of both - I chose a bit of both, which I recommend. They have a few tasty house salads and it was nice to get a bit of a selection.

The food wasn't too quick coming, which I prefer - gives you a bit of time to enjoy the atmosphere. In that time I nipped to the toilet, which was fine, if a bit cobwebby.

I really enjoyed my visit to Sky Apple and am keen to visit again for breakfast or the evening menu!

Pros: Delicious food, Laid-back atmosphere, Varied menu

Cons: Cobwebby loos

So good we ate there twice - Edit

Decided to stop at this vegetarian cafe on a trip from Scotland down to the Midlands. Its a little bit of a hassle to get to from the A1 but we found it in the end. Parking in the area is free which was a bonus.

We were one vegetarian, one vegan and a vegetarian toddler. We stopped for lunch and the vegetarian had the Sky Apple Classic burger, which he was very pleased with. The vegan (me) had the veganised Grilled Cheese and Sausage Panini and it was delicious, the vegan cheese was good (think they used Vegusto), veggie sausage was also good and the panini was nicely crisped. It came with three side salads - a grated carrot salad with Indian flavourings, a potato salad with lots of herbs and a leafy green salad - all were lovely and complimented the panini - and made me feel a bit healthier!

For our toddler it was wonderful to have choices because usually in omni cafes they only have one veggie option. We ordered her the sausage, chips and beans, which she picked at but we happily finished for her. She did enjoy a scoop of vanilla ice cream with chocolate wafer though!

The decor is a little shabby and the toilets could do with a dust to get rid of a few cobwebs, but otherwise the facilities were fine. There is a baby changing table. We accidentally left our changing mat there so came back a week later on our return journey north - and it was still there!

Second time my partner enjoyed the nachos but felt they weren't particularly special. I had the Sky Apple Classic burger which was lovely but far too much, so took half of it away with me. Our toddler had the quorn nuggets, chips and peas and ate more of it than last time.

I would definitely recommend this cafe. I wish we had been there later in the day to try the evening menu, but the lunchtime menu was very good. The chef is clearly veggie or vegan themselves and knows how to make a satisfying meal for a veggie or vegan.

Would love to try the vegan cakes next time we visit.

Prices were very reasonable

Pros: Good vegan options, Lots of options on the childrens menu, Food tasted lovely!

Cons: Slightly shabby premises

Tasty Vegan Options - Edit

Had a lovely vegan burger and real tasty chips. There was lots of vegan options. A really lovely place to eat.

Pros: Vegan choices, Parking nearby, Good value sizable portions

Cons: Quite far out of the city.

poor if you are vegan - Edit

I liked it more when I was veggie. To have to order a vegan cake in advance from a veggie restaurant is ridiculous these days - as a vegan I try here from time to time but always end up back at Jack Sprats for better food, massive vegan selection and huge range of vegan cakes

I do hope one day it improves for vegans though

Pros: food is ok when choice

Cons: Not open enough, Pricey for the quality, very poor for vegans

fancy veggie food - Edit

If you like fancy food you will love the sky apple.
Its very popular with many people and always busy. Its one of the top rated restaurants in the ne and manny non veggies love the place.
There are always a few vegan options but the choice is limited.
We would visit more if there were more vegan options and healthier options would be valued. Lots of vegan friends feel the same.

Pros: fancy food, nice staff, always busy

Cons: too few vegan options, too many fried foods, lacks healthier options

Sky Apple Dinner - Edit

My husband, a friend and I went to Sky Apple on Thursday 5th September and was very reasonably priced but I was expecting more considering where the Chef has trained, really nice but a bit disappointing if a foodie

Pros: Reasonably priced, Light and airy

Cons: Old Cobweb in toilet area, bland

Great food and great value - Edit

We had lunch in the Sky Apple Cafe on 18 February 2012. This is a really nice cafe with a great choice of veggie and vegan food. It was pretty quiet the day we went and the service was quick and good. We had the vegan hot pizza wrap and the classic burger which were both very tasty. We also had the 'proper chips' which were amazing- they really were just like the chips we remembered having when we were younger. The portions were generous so we felt like it was really good value for money - would definitely recommend this place and we'll definitely visit again.

Best veg food in the city - Edit

The food on offer here really is the best i've ever experienced in a veg cafe/restaurant. And the fact that the menu changes often adds a great sense of variety and innovation to the dishes on offer. The curries especially are wonderful, and often better than what you'll get in a top class Indian. Well worth booking as it does get very busy.

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, great atmosphere

Cons: slightly pricey

A Pleasant Discovery! - Edit

Having lived in this region for a quite a while, there are a few hidden gems that one may occasionally overlook. Admittedly, this lovely cafe is not considered in a central location but was able to stumble upon this by food blogs and online reviews. We finally made our first visit on a Saturday evening- there were regulars as well as foodies in a relaxed scene.

Service was cheerful but no experts, very simple decor and Christmas menu was available. Dish portions may vary- I wouldn't consider three pieces of simple 'Xmas tree' sushi in glitter as a sufficient starter compared to my folks, who had a a bowl of soup and generous portions of bread!

The squash and chickpea curry was a delight, perfectly spiced and compensated for the disappointing starter. Other mains ordered- the mushroom wellington was crisp, fluffy- the nut roast inside was awesome too!

Delightful meal overall, I hope to visit again for their lunch offerings.

Pros: Good value, Food quality, Flavours

Cons: Inconsistent portions, Staff expertise

love love love - Edit

I have been to sky apple many a time and the food just gets better! Loads of good vegan choices and cakes. They now sell alcohol and recently had a free cake with every lunch order which is fab value. The menu changes frequently. Nice atmosphere and always busy. In my opinion its Newcastles best vegetarian and vegan restaurant!

Pros: great food, great value, good vegan options

Cons: toilets could be cleaner

Cafe by Day Gourmet at night - Edit

This is a good place, they do tasty cafe type food during the day such as burritos, wraps, baked potatoes, sandwiches etc and by night they offer superb quality gourmet dining with bring your own booze! (£1.50 corkage per person) Daytime prices can be pricey but the portions are huge. The gourmet food experience is wonderful but it can get very cramped in there. They certainly pack them in and the experience can become very impersonal as the staff hardly have any time to breathe let alone talk to the diners. Vegan choice is OK, but always ask to be sure. Shame it's not more central in Newcastle but it's definitely worth a visit. I would definitely go here again during the daytime but for evening dining I will go to the more relaxed and informal Jack Sprats only a few minutes walk away where you can chill out for hours with plenty of room to lounge around.

Pros: Excellent food, price

Cons: location, busy at weekends

Double check orders if you are vegan! - Edit

We ordered a vegan hummus burrito for takeaway but when we got home we noticed that it was covered with cheese. We phoned up and it was confirmed that it was cheese as the chef was not told that the order was supposed to be vegan. They did offer to replace it if we came back but as it would involve a 50 minute round trip had to unfortunately just bin it.

Fanstastic Food but be prepared to wait - Edit

Food fantastic :) 5 star
Not many vegan options but the options there are just amazing.
just make sure you leave room for a dessert :) to die for

Downside: service very slow (average weight 45mins - 1hr)
and also very pricey.

But don't let that deter you, the food is worth the wait :)

Pros: THE best food, friendly staff, filling and lovely desserts

Cons: waiting times, overpriced, few vegan options

Return to Newcastle Upon Tyne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sky Apple Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.