CLOSED: Sjakie's

Contact n/a

Jodenbreestraat 24, Amsterdam, Netherlands,

Vegan lunchroom in the basement of a great book store in Amsterdam, Fort van Sjakoo. Offers vegan lunch including soup, sandwiches, fruit shakes, Zapatista coffee, and a selection of vegan cakes. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Vegan, Dutch

First Review by andpas

Solid, basic, ethical food - Edit

(visited 29th October 2011) Amsterdam is not much fun for vegans unless falafel is your favourite food, so this volunteer-run cafe is a welcome addition since my last visit here.

The menu is not extensive: a soup, a couple of larger dishes and a smaller one, plus a dessert. This is more than you're going to get in most places though! I had a large bowl of root vegetable soup, a warming blended concoction, made naturally sweet by the substantial use of neeps. I followed this with the "quiche" - a square of puff pastry in a shallow bowl topped with a tofu and mushroom mixture. The meat-eating other half expressed satisfaction with their hummus, pitta and salad, and I got the joy of dessert (forest fruit "cheesecake").

There was also a selection of juices, teas and coffees, fair trade and organic.

The food is just creative enough to be interesting, and was definitely satisfying. It was also very, very cheap. While I was there, the sole volunteer was a little distracted by her lively and destructive puppy, but she was washing her hands after contact with the dog.

Afterwards, I went upstairs and bought a few cookzines from the bookshop.

Pros: cheap, vegan desserts, ethical

Cons: very basic, small menu

A very nice lunch - Edit

We easily found this place, downstairs from a very cool alternative bookstore (take some time to browse here).
The place is very basic but the one person working was very quick to help us out. We had a quiche with salad and a homous plate with salad. Both the tofu quiche and the homous were especially tasty. I've had a lot of homous over my 25 years of being veggie and made a lot too, but this was unusual and really good.
Best of all it was really cheap, at about 3.50 euros per plate. Less than half what most other places would charge. We would definitely go back again.

P.S. they have vegan desserts (like 'cheezecake') and fair trade coffee and soy lattes and cappucinos.

Pros: tasty, cheap, fast

Cons: the hardcore music was not my favourite , decor leaves a little to be desired, not best bathroom

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Sjakie's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 295 times since Jul 2011.