SJ - Swedish Railways

• Other Other
    ( 1 review )

Centralplan 15, Stockholm, Sweden, 111 20

SJ express trains with buffet cars offer a vegan breakfast and vegan hot lunch/dinner. The breakfast consists of bread, vegan cheese, a tomato, yoghurt, apple juice, and coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. The lunch/dinner consists of a hot meal that changes each day plus a soft drink and hot drink of choice. Vegan meals are also gluten-free. To guarantee availability, these can be pre-ordered up to 24 hours prior to departure, either when booking tickets online, calling, or at any SJ travel office.

1 Review

First Review by Amy1274

Finally an onboard option - Edit

I pre-ordered the breakfast onboard the Stockholm to Malmö route. Having travelled with SJ over several years, I've always ignored the pre-booking food options, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the word vegan jump out at me from the page! You just take your ticket to the buffet car and collect the order, or of course you can go without pre-ordering, but I'm not sure how many meals they generally stock. The vegan breakfast had a container of plain yoghurt, a piece of bread, margarine, three pieces of vegan cheese a tomato, a small bottle of apple juice, and a hot drink. The cutlery and box are biodegradable, but there was rather a lot of unnecessary plastic which bothered me a bit. Otherwise the quality was great and it was some of the nicest vegan cheese I've ever had. For the price (69sek) I would have expected at least one more piece of bread, but then food on trains is always a little overpriced, so whilst it isn't the bet value, it's a good option to bear in mind when taking an early morning train or with tight connections that will make getting food difficult.

EDIT: If you call the number in the description to order, the international Swedish dialling code is +46

Pros: vegan and gluten free, simple to arrange

Cons: a little overpriced

Return to Stockholm Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has SJ - Swedish Railways closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.