Sipz Fusion Cafe - North Park

Contact 619-795-2889

3914 30th St (at North Park), San Diego, California, USA, 92104

Opened in December 2011, this is Sipz's second location; the other is in Claremont Mesa. Offers a range of Asian style rice and noodles plates, mockmeats, and appetizers. Everything is vegan except for one dish (noted on the menu). Vegan sushi menu is available from 5pm. Its own bakery makes vegan treats and desserts. Casual nice with large front windows.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Asian, Bakery, Catering, Fusion, Vietnamese

First Review by westcornersville

Great food and atmosphere - Edit

I eat here at least twice a week and every time I order something new, I'm never disappointed. I will say that my go-to meals are the Tofu Vegetable Soup (with steamed tofu) and the oriental salad (with steamed tofu), both amazing in their own rights.

A must try if you're in San Diego!

Pros: location, atmosphere, food

Almost there - Edit

I've been here about a dozen or so times. The menu has many tasty items, however I don't think any of it is organic. I don't get the vibe they care about gmos and such here just "tasty vegan food" also they use a lot of plastic and bulky containers for they're take out so the environment suffers. It's is pretty inexpensive and like I said tasty, so if you don't care about that go ahead. As for me I won't be coming back.

Pros: cheap, tasty

Cons: questionable food quality , parking, unsustainable take out

Great Asian food - Edit

Me and my boyfriend come here often, there is just so much to eat. I try new dishes often while my boyfriend faithfully keeps choosing the Thai fried rice (a definite favorite!). What I like is that for some dishes, you can decide on the level of spiciness on a scale from 1 to 10. Don't underestimate the spice though, I for one like spicy food, but only to a certain degree, and frankly level 7 was a bit too much for my fried rice.

The only thing I don't like that much is that the quality is not always consistent. Last time we were there the fried rice tasted differently, and the toasted mango dessert (which I totally recommend, by the way) was not as good as before, as the mango wasn't ripe and the dish wasn't nice and warm like previous times.

But, other than that, cool place!

Pros: lots of different Asian dishes, excellent tasting mock meats, jummy dessers (banana cake!)

Cons: quality not always consistent

Sipz - Great Location in SD's Happening North Park - Edit

One of these days I'm going to do a "formal" review of all the great places that have sprung up on the edges of Balboa Park - both North and South Park - and especially focusing on the multitude of options for vegans and vegetarians. For now though, Sipz and their Thai "Tom Yum" soup is an absolute standout. If I feel even the faintest hint of a cold coming on it's off to Sipz for that soup. The Noodle bowls are all incredible too.

Sipz is Wonderful - Edit

They have a very large menu with tons of amazing food. I have tried many of their dishes. My favorite is probably their crunchy noodles. Their fake meats are very tasty. I have not yet tried their sushi, though my friend enjoyed hers. The desserts are fantastic, they did not make me miss real dairy at all. The location is very nice as well, however be ready to park a couple blocks away and walk if you go during peak hours for the North Park party crowds.

Pros: Many amazing dishes, Very tasty vegan deserts

Vegan Sushi All Day And Night - Edit

Try the Caterpillar role, young fresh coconut to drink and everything on the menu; it is all great. This one is not quite as together as the Clairmont Mesa store, but it is still A+. Parking is a bit of a squeeze, and the neighborhood is not as nice as the other store, but the hours usually are longer, later into the night and that helps. No problem with NOGO (No Garlic No Onions).

Pros: Taste of food, Vegan Sushi, Nice atmosphere and service

Cons: parking, neighborhood

MSG in EVERYTHING - Edit

Great selection and nice staff, but there is MSG in every dish offered, which is a known neuro toxin, no thanks. There are other great Asian restaurants in San Diego that do not use MSG that are vegan and vegetarian, try those instead.

Cons: MSG laden food, GMO soy used

Wouldn't serve us - Edit

My husband & I arrived on vacation to San Diego around 9:30pm on a Friday night. I had looked on happycow on our way to find veg restaurants that were open late, & we decided to try Sipz Fusion Café since they were open until 11pm. We dropped our bags at our hotel & arrived at Sipz a few minutes after 10pm. The lights were on, there were people dining, & the front door was standing wide open. As soon as we walked in, the man behind the counter told us they were closed. We asked what time they closed, he looked to see what time it was, then replied 10pm. My husband commented that it looked like they were open & their website said 11pm. The man did not care & just insisted they closed at 10pm. At that point it was clear that he was not going to serve us, & I would not have wanted to eat there after having to fight with them to serve us anyway. My husband then said in a somewhat irritated tone that their website said 11pm & they needed to change their website if they were going to close at 10pm. The man seemed completely unconcerned & did not respond at all as we walked out. We went back to our car, got online & found directions to another veg restaurant that was open until 11pm. We walked into that restaurant a little after 10:30pm & they had no problem serving us. We are going back to San Diego next week & I just checked Sipz website, it still says they are open until 11pm! I am not sure if they changed their hours & didn't bother changing their website (even though we informed them that their website still says 11pm in case they were not aware of it before) or if they just did not feel like serving us that night for whatever reason. Either way, definitely not a restaurant we plan on going to when we visit there again. If this was a small town with only a few veg restaurants we might consider it, but there's definitely enough veg restaurants in San Diego that we don't need to go back to this one.

Pros: Not sure, wouldn't let us eat there, Near to other (friendlier) veg restaurants

Cons: Refused to serve us an hour before closing, Rude/inconsiderate worker at door

Seriously yummy! - Edit

Was only in San Diego 2 days and went here both days. Ordered the sweet and sour "pork" first and "beef" with mixed veggies the next day. Delicious! Mom got the Cashew "chicken". All so yummy! Definately going back there! And....the chocolate cake was the best I've ever had. Really, it's that good.

Our waitress was nice, explained the menu since we'd never been there before, patiently answered our questions.....food came out quickly and hot, great experience all around. Wish they'd open one up here in Redondo Beach!

Parking can be tricky, go around back, there's some parking there.S

Pros: Way cool staff, Seriously yummy food

Cons: parking can be a challenge

Lots of Choices - Edit

We came here for dinner and tried the sushi and an asian dish. The food was good however there was little too much emphasis on TVP and Soy for our liking (and not organic) but there was plenty of "safe" food to eat for a Vegan. There was a large selection of different items.

yum - Edit

Nothing out of the ordinary. Typical Asian fare, which I'm actually getting tired of when it comes to vegan food, as its so common. The portions were fair, and the flavor as well. I wouldn't hesitate to come back. Stoked to have another option in the area. Though now its making the decision on where to go harder. But it's a nice option if my new favorite vegan place 10 steps around the corner doesn't have what I want that particular day.

a nice cheesecake - Edit

I'm a conossier of vegan cheesecake. This one was good. Nothing too crazy or out of the ordinary or fantastic but good. I'd eat it again if I was in town. But they have a lot to choose from, I was sad I never got to go back for the peanut butter chocolate brownie!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 25, 2012

Pros: late hours

Disappointing : ( - Edit

We absolutely love the Clairemont Mesa Sipz cafe... not very impressed w/the North Park location. The food quality has been inconsistent, portions seem smaller than Clairemont Mesa, and pricing seems higher. We've eaten in and taken out... not impressed. Highly recommend driving up to Clairemont Mesa if you aren't "wow'ed" by your experience at the North Park location.

Pros: Nice Decor, Nearby

Cons: Food Consistency, Pricing, Parking

Veggie Rich - Edit

My niece brought us here while we were visiting San Diego, and we were very pleased with the food! There were lots of veggies in the dishes we had, not overcooked or oily. The menu was varied and interesting. The seasonings were appropriate and delicious. The kids had some nuggets and soup and they looked great! The service was a bit slow considering that it was not a busy time. I would definitely visit again if in the area.

Pros: Healthy, Tasty, Varied menu

Affordable Vegan Asian Food - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow and ate here in June 2012. Here's my Sipz Fusion review.

Some years back I had visited their first location in San Diego Clairmont Mesa area. This time I was in the North Park district and decided to try this Sipz.

It's located in a busy commerical section that also houses 2 other veg restaurants and 1 veg-friendly Mexican place right next door.

The inside is simply laid out with dark furniture, and natural sunlight comes through the tall front windows.

The menu is quite extensive with all kinds of Asian style rice and noodle dishes, appetizers, and soups. There is also a vegan sushi menu but it wasn't being offered until starting 5pm and we were there for lunch.

We shared an iced green tea with boba (tapioca balls), a Vietnamese style appetizer rice rolls, and the Japanese fire noodles (medium spicy). The food tasted okay but was not totally authentic but more like made-for-Americans taste. The noodles could have been called "Chinese" or "Thai" and it would have been the same.

Everything is supposed to vegan except for a noted dish containing vege shrimp.

At the front of the restaurant is a glass case displaying their in-house vegan baked goods made at their other location. From the selection I got a vegan peanut brownie and it was very yummy.

Overall, a good place to meet up with friends or have a casual bite alone that's all veggie.

Very Similar to the Original Sipz - Edit

Looks like the menu is almost the same as the Sipz in Clairemont Mesa with the food tasting very similar (might be good to have a few different items). The quality is high, like with the other Sipz. Prices appear to be the same. Ambiance is a bit different--unlike the Clairemont Mesa location in a strip-mall, this place is right off the street and is a bit smaller, though with a bit more of an upscale feeling.

Pros: Good food, Reasonable prices, Almost all vegan

Cons: Difficult parking, Too much like other location

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sipz Fusion Cafe - North Park closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5739 times since Dec 2011.