Sipz Fusion Cafe - Clairemont Mesa

858-279-3747

5501 Clairemont Mesa Blvd (at I-805), San Diego, California, USA, 92117

One of two locations; the second location is in North Park. Casual dining in a large space. Menu features a range of Asian style rice and noodles plates, mockmeat dishes, appetizers. Everything is vegan except for one dish (noted on the menu). Vegan sushi menu is available from 5pm. Its own bakery makes vegan treats and desserts. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Asian, Bakery, Fusion, Vietnamese

First Review by vixyash

Everybody is Happy - Edit

Met my family here, even the meat eaters where happy with the options that tasted like meat. Great variety and flavorful. Sauces were delicious. We had appetizers (spring rolls, spicy "shrimp" tempura), entrees (garlic tofu, kung pao chicken), and ended with chocolate cake with vanilla "ice cream". Everything exceeded expectations. We will be back.

Pros: My non-vegan friends liked the "shrimp" tempura., Large portions, Extensive menu

Cons: They were busy, water glasses were empty., Strip mall location

large portions - Edit

it is a family friendly spot. the portions are huge. I had the drunken noodles with "chicken" and it was flavor packed. my picky 3 yr old devoured most of her chow mein.

Favorite Veg Restaurant in San Diego - Edit

I'm from San Diego and this place is definitely my favorite veg place I've tried in SD yet. I love their pho in particular (I get it with tofu and sliced jalapeños), but I've enjoyed almost every dish I've tried there (one thing I don't recommend is the crab rangoons). I'm not a huge fan of mock meat products so I love that most dishes can be ordered with tofu instead. I'm also in love with their awesome desserts, which are all sooo enticing sitting in the case near the front door. Even my non-veg friends and family love this place -- I come here quite often with a group of carnivorous friends and also often with my carnivorous mother. They don't even comment on the fact that there's no meat, we all just really enjoy it.

Pros: large menu, big portions, decent prices

Not bad at all! - Edit

Went here for the first time today. Good sized portions for the entrées.
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 17, 2016

Pros: HUGE selection

Cons: Some traditional recipes are different

Great vegetarian asian food - Edit

Central location off 805 and Clairemont Mesa Blvd. Been going here for years. Only place I know that serves vegetarian sushi (faux fish) and only after 5pm. My favorites are yellow curry, wok fried drunken noodles and thai basil. My wife loves the pan fried pot stickers.

They are very accommodating on substitutions and have long offered a free mango iced tea if you pay cash. Place gets crowded on Friday and Saturday nights, but there are quite a few tables and the food comes out quickly, so usually not much of a wait. They are open almost every day. I have gotten food from there on Thanksgiving day!

Pros: Large portions, Great parking, Reasonable prices

Cons: Can be noisy, Service not consistent

Mixed - Edit

I have very mixed feelings on this place. I have eaten here two or three times, but I always get an odd feeling going there.

Non Authentic & Worst Fusion - Edit

1. It's Fusion Asian, so that means even though they're very good with mimicking the carnivore dishes by using gluten mock meat,
They unfortunately alter the original sauces, preparations and cuisine completely.

Ex:
1. Thai Papaya Salad:
Is served with regular soya sauce on the side....

What happened to Vegan Fish Chili sauce?!! That's the proper sauce for THAI Papaya Salad.

2. Crispy Noodle Bird's Nest Chinese dish, was replaced with these fat Mexican gluten noodles and was completely compromised. Not it's original cooking. It's very simple, stir fry.

3. Sipz is only known for the only Asian resto that offer Vietnamese Phone with vegetable broth until we discovered Phone La Jolla who can offer us the same but later hours.

4. The lettuce wrap was nothing like how it's normally prepared even with mock meat. Other non vegetarian places replace with at least non gmo tofu cubes, no msg sauce and gluten.

They can't even make this authentic enough.

5. The deep fried spicy rock salt jalapeño tofu was served with some Mexican red sauce paste.

Don't make something that doesn't represent especially the authenticity of the dish and cuisine!

Pros: Slightly Close, Happy Hours

Cons: Expensive, Nonauthentic, Boring

The Best Restaurant in Sothern California - Edit

Sipz is it. They have Vegan Sushi after five p.m. and serve some of the best Vegan Chinese and Vegan Vietnamese food I have ever had. The prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is casual. Try the young coconuts, the caterpillar role, the soups, the appetizers like the BBQ chicken and have a great time. It is easy to get NOGO food (No garlic, no onions). Parking is easy and the restaurant is big so people rarely wait to be seated. The 'To Go Food' also works well. Service is great.

Pros: Taste of food, Service and Parking, Vegan Sushi

Delectable if you know what to order - Edit

Been there twice, various dishes and desserts were delectable (peanut-butter chocolate brownies are insanely good), a few others were average. Friendly service; a few more servers may be needed. Would always come back here.

Delicious - Edit

The food was great. Warm atmosphere.

Pros: Variety in tastes, hearty food

Amazing - Edit

Best food I have eaten the whole time I have been in America. We are going back for a second visit. Huge meals and even the deserts are great.

Pros: Good value, Great menu, Amazing food

Indigestable - Edit

Could not put the food down so I can't approve of this spot.

Pros: parking

Cons: food

Awesome Every Time! - Edit

It was our third visit to Sipz and we brought our family this time (we're hoping to convert them to a plant based diet).
The service was prompt, attentive, and friendly. All of our meals were INCREDIBLE! Our parents were very complimentary and couldn't believe they weren't eating meat. The prices were very fair for the quality and portion sizes and Sipz offers FREE mango ice teas for your party if you pay with cash, an additional value we took advantage of.
We love this place and can't wait to check out their North Park location.

Pros: Yummy, Inexpensive, Service

Cons: none, nada, zilch

Vegan friendly - Edit

My fiance and heard about Sipz cafe about a month ago and so far we have eaten here about 6 times already. It is that good! They have Boba drinks which can be made Vegan by substituting soy milk, the waiter suggested we order the green tea boba and it is honestly the best flavor. The food is Vegetarian but it is noted which items can be made vegan, about 95% can be made Vegan. They have a hotness scale depending on how spicy you like your food. We ordered the Spicy thai fried rice and Japanese Fire noodles at an 8 once and it was the spiciest dish we had ever ate, but still very tasty. I order my rice and noodles dishes at about a 5 now though because the 8 was a little too spicy for me, but if you love spicy food then go for it. Also the crispy spring rolls are great. The service is always fast.
Depending on what you order it can get a tad pricey, for two meals, an appetizer and 2 boba drinks it is about 30 dollars but the food is well worth it.

Pros: Great selection, Very fast service, Good location

Cons: a tad pricey at times

No AMEX - Edit

I visited Sipz on Clairemont Mesa today and found out that they do not accept American Express. Instead, I went to the Thai place in the same strip mall and had a dismal Tofu Curry.

Pros: Big portions, Huge variety, Pleasant staff

Cons: My tummy is too small to try all the gre, generic dining area

Really Good Food - Edit

On our recent trip to san Diego we stopped by Sipz to have a bite and found it to have good chinese food. They have a lot of vegan options, just make sure to ask beforehand because some of their items are vegatarian. Well, we ended up going the next day. We had the orange "chicken", the soft chowmein and the cashew "chicken".

Pros: Vegan Friendly, Nice service

Maybe the best San Diego restaurant EVER - Edit

Amazing food, quick service, great selection, plenty of seating, all around terrific experience. I'll DEFINITELY be back.

Pros: Awesome food, Good atmosphere, Plenty of parking

good asian food! - Edit

This place had tons of tables, plenty of space for big groups. The food was all very good. Loved the potstickers, the bbq "pork" and the vegan thai iced tea. Service wasn't the friendliest, but everything came out as ordered. Will go back again!

Pros: food, value, large space

Cons: not friendly service

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sipz Fusion Cafe - Clairemont Mesa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.