SinSinTei

052-7520311

2-1-2 Sanmon-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya, Japan, 464-0064

Serves vegan Buddhist cuisine (Sho-jin Ryori) and is also a tea house. Offers vegan dishes and excludes five acrid and strong-smelling vegetables (Go-kun) including garlic. Free Wi-Fi. Note: In Japan kitchens often stop serving 30-60 minutes before closing time. Call ahead to confirm. Open Tue-Sun 11:00am-2:00pm, Tue-Fri 5:00pm-8:00pm. Last orders at 7pm.

Categories: Chinese, Japanese, Organic

First Review by FruitMonstar

非常好吃 - Edit

老闆娘非常親切,寒冷的冬天因為我們下錯站而遲到也是熱情的接待我們,食材非常用心準備,非常好吃。

雖然老闆娘不太會說英文,但是會盡力讓我們明白。

我是在2月底去的哦!希望能再次去

Nice traditional buddhist cuisine - Edit

I ordered the full dim sum course. It's soooo goood. There is an English menu. Although they do not speak English, they try to communicate with me and make me understand what I am eating. My favorite is the rice paper spring rolls. The veggie is so fresh. One of my favorite vegan restaurants in Nagoya.

Traditional Buddhist Cuisine - Edit

I must confess that I've not been in Japan long and this is the only Shoujin Ryouri (精進料理, the name for traditional Buddhist cuisine) I've had. So I'm not in a position to compare it to Shoujin Ryouri from other places.

Having said that, the food is excellent and I've visited this restaurant three times now. As per tradition, strong spices are avoided with an emphasis on fresh, seasonal ingredients. The resulting flavors are often subtle, yet full of character.

The cook and hostess (mother and daughter) are very kind and passionate about their work. The hostess explains the history and medicinal effects of each dish with great zeal. Before my first visit, and worried about the language barrier, she looked up some English words for ingredients and was able to explain quite a bit to me through a combination of English, Japanese, body-language and drawings.

There's no English menu either, but that's not really a con. This is Japan after all.

The location is quiet, in Kakuouzan, a traditional district of Nagoya where the Nitaiji (Thai/Japanese Buddhist temple) is also situated

At all three visits, I had the 3000 yen course, which requires a reservation (as do the more expensive courses). There is a smaller set for 1200 yen which does not require a reservation. They also serve tea.
Updated from previous review on Saturday February 13, 2016

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent service, Excellent atmosphere

Cons: Reservation required.

Heavenly Buddhist Cuisine (Shojin Ryori) - Edit

One of the best vegan restaurants I have ever gone!
Buddhist cuisine in Japan is generally expensive and not easily accessible, but this restaurant is different.
Lunch starting around 1,300 yen (about 12 USD) and a full dim sum course for 3,000 yen (about 30 USD).

I ordered the 3,000 yen dim sum course, which is served for lunch and dinner (reservation recommended). All the dishes served was heavenly, and although it was a lot of food, did not make us feel heavy. I felt full and satisfied. You can tell the food is made with an experienced chef with love.

Owned and run by a mother and daughter. Although they do not speak English, they are not shy trying to communicate with some vocabularies they know.

I took a group of 8 people to this place, and everyone loved the food, service and atmosphere.

(No English menu yet, but they might be working on it).

Pros: All vegan, Most delicious Buddhist Cuisine, Great service and atmosphere

Cons: No English menu yet

Return to Nagoya Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has SinSinTei closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.