First Review by Stevie

Tasty Food, Horrible Experience - Edit

I came here with 2 friends. We ordered a variety of foods -- the sushi was very delicious and reasonably priced. I told myself while I was eating that I'd definitely come back in the future.

The staff couldn't speak English, but the lady at the table next to us could. She told us that if you order before 5pm, you get 25% off your meal (which she confirmed with the server). We ordered more than we normally would because of this. My friend ordered some kind of casserole dish, and the lady next to us had them make it vegan for her. Beware -- although everything is vegetarian, it's difficult to tell if they're vegan as the menu isn't labelled!

When our bill came, we noticed that the discount hadn't been applied. My friend could speak some Mandarin and tried to talk to the server, who told us that although we ordered before 5, by the time she inputted our order into the computer, it was after 5pm, therefore we'd have to pay full price. We tried to petition as best as we could, but the staff simply ignored us and walked away (we tried to talk to several staff members). It was really infuriating, and at this time, the wonderful lady next to us who was translating had already left.

Although the food was good, the service was appalling and the restaurant itself was quite dirty. I also got the impression that westerners don't often come here because we were being stared at by everyone in the restaurant during our entire meal!

Pros: delicious food

Cons: horrible service, dirty restaurant, misleading information

sin tak fook - Edit

it was a toss of a coin between this and "amazing kitchen", as both are on the same street and still open around 10 pm. i think i chose this as it was slightly brighter.

the bilingual menu reminded me somewhat of "ying vegetarian" in yau ma tei, with a range of sushi, handrolls, japanese-style pancakes, rice, noodles, etc, many with meaty names.

staff were friendly and went out of the way to advise me that my initial order (a tomato udon dish) didn't include "pork chop" and that i could consider ordering another similar-priced tomato-soup-based dish which came with that (item 474, dough in tomato soup with pork chop, 鮮茄蓉濃湯生面跟豬扒, hkd52).

presentation-wise, the huge bowl of tomato soup noodles didn't look too impressive, with foam circling the rim, probably due to being shaken while carried.

i found the soup too artificially sweet/tangy for my taste (processed tomato paste/sauce added?), and, even as a vegetarian, very, very eggy. i later asked the staff if egg had been added and he said no, but it could be due to the noodles, which could be changed to udon or maifun if preferred. (on the menu it states that egg is added to some dishes, but doesn't specify which ones, and to tell staff if you prefer to exclude it.)

i'd be happy to come back to try something else if i'm in the neighbourhood.

Pros: friendly staff, opens late

Cons: eggy noodles

Sin Tak Fook Vegetarian, Hong Kong - Edit

I ate here earlier today. It's yet another cheap and cheerful type place in Hong Kong. A quick look on the menu and some of the dishes clearly indicate that they use eggs, butter and cheese for some of them.

2 dishes were ordered to share. A big bowl of Thai soup and some dumplings. Both tasted delicious. It was a surprise that 25% was taken off the menu. My dinner partner suggested this was because we ate in the gap in between lunch and dinner. 85 hkd seemed decent value.

The furnishing and décor are from decade in yesteryear. Where we were sat was not too far from some sort of electrical switch board. Going by how dirty that was I hope inside the kitchen is much cleaner.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Tasty food

Cons: Time to get out the cleaning liquid?

Return to Kowloon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sin Tak Fook Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.