First Review by

health food like mum used to make - Edit

I'm sitting next to the tricking water feature, escaping the Darwin heat having just finished refueling at Simplys. I feel the need to write a review straight away to right some of the wrongs done by previous reviewers.

They must have picked up their customer service game because, although I came in the middle of a busy lunch time, the service was helpful and efficient. A lentil rissole with a big plate of salad cost only $11 which, based on my observations on my first morning in Darwin, is a STEAL! The food is no frills, for sure. But it's loaded with veggies, grains, nuts, and legumes and is tasty in a old school health food sort of way. Sultanas in the rice salad, grated carrot and cheese...see what I'm saying!

Only downside is that only 2 of the salads were vegan today. But the quinoa one was delish!

OK - Edit

I would agree with previous reviews, but it does what it needs to do - provide a selection of vegetarian / vegan foods. Good for a lunchtime snack. Service was ok, but I was made to feel it was a big ask requesting tap water, as opposed to a $3.00 bottle

Pros: CBD location

I dont know why I keep going back. - Edit

Ok, I do know why I keep going back. Its because when youre starving in the middle of Darwin, and theres only one place to grab Vegan food on the run you have to suck it up.
This is the WORST service Ive ever experienced anywhere.
The last few times Id been to Darwin, I thought perhaps Id gotten them on a bad day, but apparently thats not the case.
Here is how my experience went.....
ME: "Excuse me, is that salad Vegan"?
THEM: **Scowls & sighs** "Well, its got no meat in it"
ME: "Yes, but is it Vegan or Vegetarian"?
THEM: **slams down spatula & eyeballs me** "I said it was Vegan didnt I"??
ME: **looking helplessly at other customers** "Well, no thats not exactly what you said....."

Turns out she was the owner.
Not the best way to treat a possible return customer.
Which by the way I will not be, ever again.

Onto the food.
So by now, I felt a bitter little taste in my mouth, so this may be a bit biased, but the falafels were dry and the salad was bland.

Thankfully I found a couple of other places in the Darwin CBD that treated me with kindness and respect and went out of their way to accommodate me, without a scowl or a hiss!!

PS. My friends who are Territorians said that Simply Foods are renowned for their terrible service, so if you want a smile and a kind word with your meal, definitely do NOT go there!!

Decent Lunch in CBD - Edit

Definitely the go to place for something healthy for Lunch if you're stuck in the CBD. Unfortunately, like everything else in Darwin, its pretty expensive for what it is (basic, homestyle salads, pastie-type stuff and juices). My main dislike is it is certainly NOT vegetarian. They are big on eco-evil, cruelty-heavy stuff like tuna. Also, the service is quite notoriously awful (been the same every time I've been and others seem to agree with me); they all look thoroughly annoyed to be serving you and its quite a wait in line if you go at lunchtime.

So expensive, limited choices, bad service and not vegetarian. Still worth it though if you're looking for something healthy as Darwin is pretty limited in this respect.

Pros: CBD location, Healthy food

Cons: Bad service, Limited choice, Expensive

Return to Darwin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Simply Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1584 times since Aug 2007.