Simply Banh Mi

202-333-5726

1624 Wisconsin Ave NW (at Georgetown, Washington D.C.), Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20007

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small basement eatery in Georgetown. The green leaf-marked vegetarian dishes are vegan suitable. Offers coconut water and soy milk. Open Tue-Sun 11:00am-7:00pm.

Categories: Fast food, Take-out, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by cookiem

Like coming home - Edit

Remarkably friendly and welcoming atmosphere and bright, cheerful decor makes it one of my favorite places it eat in DC. In addition to a tofu banh mi they also have vegan pho. Just let them know you’re vegan and they’ll make sure everything you order is vegan-friendly. They have great suggestions to customize your order :)

Awesome - Edit

We LOVE Simply Banh Mi, as many others clearly do, too - it's always packed when we walk over for lunch on the weekends. The family behind the restaurant are such nice people, and they really do grasp what "vegan" means and cater to veg*n diners. The banh mi (just ask for a vegan banh mi - they understand and won't add the customary aioli - once they even had a vegan-mayo based version that was so good) and vegan pho are our usual picks, but we also sometimes get the bun (vermicelli bowl - again, ask for "vegan," which comes with peanut rather than fish sauce; the one time they brought us fish sauce by accident, they immediately realized the mistake, fixed it and were super apologetic). The tofu they use in all these dishes is soooo good. We always get their boba smoothies - which come in a huge variety and are all vegan friendly!! So glad we found this awesome, super vegan-friendly restaurant - thanks Happy Cow and thanks Simply Banh Mi!

Pros: Delicious, vegan-friendly food, Super nice owners/staff, Great location

Cons: Can get busy, but worth the wait!

All Around Great - Edit

This is one of my favorite restaurants.
If Happy Cow would let me rate it 5 stars I would.

It's small and family-owned. The food is delicious and the staff is incredibly nice. According to their website the chef here wrote two Vietnamese cookbooks so I can see why it's so good.
I haven't tried the other build-your-own options yet because the vegan pho and tofu banh mi are just always too good to pass up. The guy at the counter suggested dipping the sandwich in the pho and it's amazing.

The family that owns it seems super excited to keep expanding their vegan options as long as people keep coming in and ordering them. Someone actually came out to talk to us because they were wondering how they could reach more vegans and vegetarians. They said they had tried out a homemade veggie paté but no one ever ordered it. I hope they bring it back because that sounds awesome.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, delivers

Cons: limited seating

Good food and friendly staff! - Edit

So the place is really small but in the process of expanding. They were a bit overrun when we got there and warned us of a wait but their honestly didn't seem like much of a wait at all. I got the tofu banh mi sans mayo (I suggested Just Mayo or Veganaise and they seemed very interested in picking some up!) and my friend had the tofu salad. Both were very good. They also carry vegan bubble teas and have some vegan items not on the menu like vegan pho, so don't be afraid to ask!

Pros: Staff

Vegan Vietnamese in Gtown - Edit

So you know if you live Vietnamese food and love in DC, you probably end up across the river in VA. Well, that gets tiring when you're hungry! Look no further! Head to Georgetown for this small local business run by folks who mark the veg items in their online menu clearly and are willing to deliver to you 2 miles away! With the prices they have, it's a steal when you think about their location and then the portion size!

I love that they have vegan boba- the owner checked all the mixes, and they are vegan with non-dairy creamer. Also, yes the black tapioca for those who don't know about boba pearls, they are vegan. Just ask for any boba with soy milk! Yes!! Heaven!

The food is super fresh and made to order. They are wicked accommodating, so don't be shy about making sure it's vegan, because the veg items (banh mi, vermicelli, rolls, salad) are all vegan, and you will know it too when you order, see, eat and fade into bliss this side of the District line. I like that they have te old school fake chicken/ duck before it was hip- as in the type in Asian and Buddhist establishments. Soy based fake meat, slightly salty, but goes well with the food here. They also add in deep fried tofu, slices and chunks. Yum. Sauces can be soy or peanut based- just ask. The veggies are fresh, and I loved the flavor of fresh basil in the veggie spring rolls.

If you want noodles, they have vermicelli now. If there is enough demand, the owner mentioned willingness to make vegan pho!!!! Yes, please! They also cater, and they are playing with Vietnamese fusion cuisine like tacos! Oh yes, for the gluten free crew!

These folks are genuinely nice, and I can't wait for more vegan boba. So good- it doesn't taste super artificial! Go, and say: vegan, please?! Yum!

Pros: Vegan boba, Price and portions, Vegan banh mi

Cons: Closes at 7pm, One size for boba

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Simply Banh Mi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.