Silence-Heart-Nest Vegetarian Restaurant

Contact 206-633-5169

3508 Fremont Place N (at Fremont District), Seattle, Washington, USA, 98103

A Sri Chimoy inspired veggie restaurant serving vegetarian and vegan food since 1986. The extensive menu features a variety of egg scrambles and breakfast items served all day plus salads, sandwiches, veggieburgers, hot plates, and more. Bargain breakfast menu offered weekdays before 11am. Mon-Fri 8:00am-2:30pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-3:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Indian, Take-out

First Review by

All your vegan breakfast fare in Fremont - Edit

This is a bright cheery diner with waitresses dressed in colorful saris where you can get fresh juices, sesame vegan pancakes and waffles, a tofu chunk scramble, small sweet potato biscuits with a white cashew gravy, and a vegan migas with fresh salsa and avocado on top. It was busy and noisy on a sunny weekend morning, but the wait was not long.

It pays homage to the spiritual peace leader Sri Chinmoy (visit his statue on the waterfront along Burke-Gilman Trail).

As such, this restaurant suffers only by comparison. These are not, by a long shot, the best vegan biscuits and gravy in town (those are at Wayward Vegan Cafe — in its beautiful spacious new location on 65th in Roosevelt — closely followed by St. Dames in Columbia City) and these aren't the best grilled items either (Wayward or Cafe Flora in Madison). The "scramble" has chunks of tofu (again prefer the nooch-y goodness of Wayward's version). The vegan migas holds up though as a unique and tasty dish.

That said, it's a great place for sit down service and breakfast in the fun Fremont district. While here, be sure to stop by Flying Apron Bakery around the corner. The vegan and gluten-free cookies, cakes and cupcakes are wonderful and it makes a nice option for lunch/dinner too with vegan lasagna, savory pies and pizza by the slice.

Pros: Bright diner, Vegan grill and savory items, Fresh juices-Golden Sunshine

Cons: A little chaotic/busy, No bottomless coffee, Some disappointing items

Yum! - Edit

I had a lovely vegan veggie scramble here, but the real treat was the side of vegan biscuits and gravy. I was a little concerned about the biscuits being sweet potato, because I am a biscuits and gravy purist, but it was delicious. It's a cute place and the staff was very friendly. I would definitely go there again the next time I visit Seattle.

Pros: Friendly staff, good value, large portions

Cons: need more vegan options

Yummy vegan breakfast - Edit

I had an amazing vegan breakfast here that I went home and re-created myself. I had vegan sausage with sweet potato biscuits and cashew gravy.
It has changed our lives is now a favorite breakfast . Yum yum yum
The staff was very sweet and the decor was very nice as well

Not so vegan - Edit

In its previous location, SHN had more vegan options, but now in Fremont it has fewer, and they aren't stellar. Since there aren't many places at all in Fremont for vegans (besides the PCC deli, which is hit-or-miss), if you find yourself here you'll at least be able to eat.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 13, 2006

Pros: consistently good, fair prices, atmosphere

Cons: few vegan dishes, limited hours

Tasty breakfast - Edit

This place has great service, and I felt all the serving ladies had an amazing energy. The food came out quickly, though I was disappointed that there weren't as many vegan options as I'd hoped there would be. I got the tofu scramble, which was hearty. I did order a tea and didn't know I had to specify a different milk if I didn't want cow's milk. But I quickly realized when my drink came out; my waitress was understanding and quickly replaced my drink. Overall, I'd go back for the service and good food, and I do recommend it.

Not for Lacto-Vegetarians or Vegans.... :( - Edit

I was a customer of the original Silence-Heart-Nest back in 1986, back when they were located in the U-District. Sadly, they have changed, and not for the better.

Back then, there were many options for vegans and lacto vegetarians. Yet today, there are - I believe - only two menu items that are available for vegans. I came for brunch/lunch and ended up with the dal soup (delicious!) and bread. Sadly, Silence-Heart-Nest has chosen NOT to offer a vegetarian/vegan breakfast scramble. And, the "veggie" burger contains eggs. The wait staff was patient with my ingredient-based questions, yet unsympathetic. I got the sense they were "meditating" through my list of questions.

Sadly, I won't be going back to this restaurant I had once loved.

Pros: nice vibes, healthy food

Cons: almost no vegan offerings, almost no pure-veg (non-egg) options, not open to changing the menu

good vegetarian breakfast - Edit

I've only been here once, the place has a kind of Indian cultish thing going for it which I dig. If you're a vegetarian and looking for a good hearty breakfast in the Fremont area then you should check this place out, it is an experince worth having but I don't reccomend this place for vegans. I took my daughter and they have fun toys for her to play with and she really enjoyed eating here after playing with her troll, I would go back.

Pros: location, good simple food

Cons: not very vegan friendly

One of the Best! - Edit

I absolutely love this place. From the quaint blue decor to the waiters dressed in saris, to the delicious, reasonably priced food. This breakfast/lunch vegetarian heaven has a charming atmosphere. Even my non-vegetarian friends like the food (such as the fake meatloaf). I haven't been here in a while, but as of the last time I ate there, the hours were only morning/afternoon. If this place was open at night, or at least for an early evening, I bet it would get a lot of business.

Pros: The food rocks, character & charm, the staff

Cons: no dinner hours, no parking

An Excellent Breakfast - Edit

My boyfriend and I went here one morning and we both had a really good breakfast. I had the vegan "Western Roundup" (potatoes, vegan sausage, biscuts and gravy) and he had one of the omlettes. He's a non-vegitariean and he really enjoyed his meal and so did I. The sweet potato biscuts that came with my meal were particularly good. One of the negatives is the limited vegan options. Another one is that the spiritual cult vibe you get here. The whole restaurant is basically a shrine to this Indian spiritual leader. It's a little unerving but doesn't affect the food. I'm glad I went, will go again, and would reccomend it to anyone.

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Biscuts, Friendly Staff

Cons: Cult Vibe, Limited vegan options

Decent Breakfast - Edit

Has a few vegan items. A little disappointed that their bacon has egg in it.

Tried the tofu scramble, sausage patties and biscuits and gravy. The sweet potato biscuits and cashew gravy were good. The patties weren't bad either. The scramble was alright; I was glad I had the gravy to eat it with. Overall I felt overcharged.

It was good but definitely not a favorite. Better if you're not vegan, I guess.

Pros: good biscuits, location

Cons: some things lacked flavor, limited vegan selection

Great Food, Even Greater Service - Edit

Great food, every time. The flavors are wonderful, and the servers happy, friendly, and peaceful. This place is on my "must visit" list when I am showing friends around Seattle, or just having brunch myself. Vegans may have just a few choices here, but at least there is a few. Parking is very tough sometimes, so be prepared to do some walking.

Pros: Great food, Great Service, Great atmosphere

Cons: Parking, Parking, Parking

One Word: "Adore!" - Edit

I love this place! The coffee is fantastic, the menu is vegan-friendly and well-varied, and the staff (while a little on the *ahem* "culty" side) is always radiantly friendly and kind. This is a restaurant that deserves community support. I wish they had more hours.

Pros: fantastic food, vegan options, friendly staff

Cons: limited hours, closed for vacations

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Silence-Heart-Nest Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4677 times since Aug 2007.