Signor Verde

Contact 2213402559

Otto-Fischer-Str. 1 (at Bahnhof Sud), Cologne, Germany, 50677

Coffee bar serving organic fair trade coffee, vegan cakes and muffins, snacks, baguettes, waffles, daily specials, and weekend breakfast. Known for its "snickerstorte" cake. Thursday is kebab day. English spoken. Moved here in 2013 from Bobstr. Open Tue-Fri 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 11:00am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery, European, German

First Review by hannes

Recommendation - Edit

We literally fell into "Signor Verde" after leaving the Station "Bahnhof Süd"--it's fair to say, it was our plan to visit this place. Our Hotel had no breakfast options for vegans and just eating something from the next bakery is not the best possibility for the most important meal of the day. We had the "dutch breakfast" with vegan cheese. Everything was fine, delicious and prepared with loving care. The staff was very nice and recommended "Snickers-Torte" after we asked for cupcakes and stuff. It was so good! The cake was soft and moist, the creme an explosion of peanuts, not too sweet, evenly balanced.
I will definitely come back next time in Cologne!

Pros: very friendly staff, everything is vegan, reasonably pricing

Cons: maybe the bikes at the station, if you sit outside

sehr lecker, sehr nett! - Edit

Ich glaube, ich bin noch nie so unglaublich nett bedient und beraten worden. Die Kuchen sind toll und es gibt tolle Teesorten, die jeweils mit der passenden Pflanzenmilch aufgeschäumt werden. Habe schon oft vor dem Laden gestanden und bin nicht reingegangen, weil er von außen irgendwie nicht sehr einladend wirkt und bin froh, dass ich ihn jetzt doch für mich entdeckt habe

Top Service! - Edit

they have daily chancing menus, so you can always find fresh vegan food.

Oh, they know how to make a good vegan coffee! Which is not very easy to find. The coffee is also bio and fairtrade.

The service is top, could not be better! Super friendly and helpful. No need to feel bad, if you`re on a special diet(glutenfree etc.), they are doing their best to make your belly full :)

I`d love to enjoy some raw vegan cakes here. Really! They should start to offer some raw options.

But still, it s a great vegan cafe to visit!

Pros: Bio and Fairtrade , Super friendly service, Cosy athmosphere

Cons: No Raw Options

Leider nicht mehr gut - Edit

Ich bin an dem neuen Standort nicht mehr begeistert von Signor Verde. Der Laden hat am neuen Standort viel an Flair verloren. Auch das Essen ist nicht mehr wie früher - ich bekam z.B. vegane Retortenware wie künstliche Tintenfischringe.

Pros: Very friendly stuff

Cons: Quality of food, Location

Great place where you will get beautiful and delicious vegan food.

Ask them anything and they'll give you a hand with whatever they can. In my case with the gluten free options.

Dönerstag are the best days! =D
Updated from previous review on Thursday December 11, 2014

Pros: Very, very friendly, knowledgeable staff, Very good service

Yummy cake - Edit

I was only there once, had a snickers cake (shared between 3) and a latte. Wasn't blown away from the cake, but it was yummy. And the staff and atmosphere was very nice.

Pros: nice atmosphere, different milk option for the cofee

Fantastic ice cream! - Edit

Being donnerstag, I went to have their doner - honestly, it wasn't spectacular, and I think I would have preferred having it by itself (filling without the bread). However, it was doner! I had doner with chai latte (mit havermilch), and took away chocolate-peanut ice-cream with an apple streusel.

The atmosphere of the place is really cozy, which I found surprising given they were located right outside a train station (Koln sud) but that makes for great accessibility. The owner (a really thin guy) and his staff were extremely friendly and warm, and I definitely felt very comfortable in the place.

Let's get to the really good stuff: ice-cream (Eis). I couldn't decide between their famous Erdnuss and the usual-suspect Schokolade, so I decided to have both.

Best combination ever. I would fly from London just to have their ice-cream. The chocolate was a better kind, ie. not too sweet and having that bitter cocoa taste. The peanut was the king though: salty, sweet, light and just being so dangerously moreish. The two worked well together, and I found myself wondering if I should go back and get more!

The price was extremely good too (but then, I do live in London), with everything coming up to 12.50 EUR. Remember, this is for a massive doner, chai latte, two scoops of ice-cream, and an apple streusel slice. Not to mention great service.

Not quite baklust for me in terms of food, but their ice-cream was definitely better than anything I have tried in London. Also, they are completely vegan! If I return, I will update the review based on their other food!

Pros: Excellent ice-cream, decent hot food, Great value , Warm and friendly staff

Yummy food - Edit

Was there with some colleagues and had several yummy things. Only remember the curry sausage though, which was received very well even by my non-vegetarian friends.

Definitely worth visiting!

Nettes Cafe - Edit

Ich hatte einen Soya Macchiato und ein dickes Stück Schoko-Kirsch-Kuchen - beides sehr lecker. Schöne Atmosphäre, der Inhaber ist super nett und sympathisch, die Bedienung auch. Komme auf jeden Fall wieder!

Pros: leckere Kuchen, im Sommer gibt's Eis!, nettes Personal

Best vegan location in town - Edit

Signor Verde sets the standards! Erik, the owner, is very passionate about vegan food. Döner on Dönerstag (thursday) and vegan burgers are my favorites. The portions could be bigger but the taste is in general awesome. The soy capucchino is the best one I ever had.

Pros: excellent food, 100% vegan and mostly organic, fair trade coffee and tea avaialble

Vegan, bio, super freundlich und unfassbar schön - Edit

Ich war mit meinen omnivoren Eltern, Oma und Onkel im Signor Verde und alle, inklusive mein Vater (ich konnte es kaum glauben), waren hellauf begeistert. Ich habe mittlerweile einige vegane Restaurants im Bundesgebiet ausprobiert - in Berlin, Regensburg, Erlangen und nun Köln - und kann nicht genug erwähnen, wie glücklich ich war das Signor Verde erleben zu dürfen. Das Essen: Vegan UND bio und SOOOOO lecker (wir hatten Chili sin carne, Getränke, "Mett"-Brot, Salat, diverse Nachtische - Kuchen, Dessertcreme und Eis). Die Bedienung, Köchin und Besitzer: Alle super freundlich und aufgeschlossen, hilfs- und gesprächsbereit. Und die Einrichtung: So unfassbar schön und genau mein Geschmack mit dunklerem Holz und Jugendstillämpchen überall, wunderschönen, antiken, bunten (Decken!)fenstern, Klavier, Sofas, Eis- und Getränketheke und einem Winkel, wo nochmal Sitzgelegenheiten sind. Sogar die Toilette ist wunderschön. Wir haben all fünf das Signor Verde zufrieden und überglücklich verlassen und bereuen tu ich nur, nicht in Köln zu wohnen. Danke, dass ihr vegan und bio und sogar fair trade essen gehen so genüsslich und vergnüglich gestaltet habt und damit meiner Familie gezeigt habt, dass dies möglich ist! Das schönste Restauranterlebnis, was ich je in meinem Leben erleben durfte. Marion Hammer

Pros: Essen, Einrichtung, Personal

Very disappointing - Edit

I was there 3 times, and the first two was just nothing impressive, if not a bit boring food. But the last time I went there because I was craving for a GOOD cake. Arriving there they only had one "peanut tarte", which was a dry sweet cake with salty peanuts on top. My friend ordered crepes, and they served the crepes that were standing there for hours with cheap vegan cream.

I haven't tried the new vegan places yet, but I'm glad this is not the only vegan place in Cologne anymore. I don't like it at all.

Simple but very tasty - Edit

It looks a bit like a shabby pub but the food is good and the people are very friendly. I ordered a carrotsoup, a wrap, something to drink and a soja macchiato for € 14,50, really inexpensive. Simple but very tasty and when I'm in Cologne again I will certainly visit this place again.
Updated from previous review on Friday October 11, 2013

Updated from previous review on Friday October 11, 2013

Pros: tasty, inexpensive, friendly people

Cons: a little bit shabby

Love it!!!! Totally go here!!! - Edit

I really enjoyed this place. I love the selections for both sweet and savory dishes. They change their options a lot so it is either a surprise for the specials or you can look on facebook.

Pros: Good location, nice atmosphere, good food, great selection

My favourite place in Cologne - Edit

I can really recommend this place to everybody who comes to Cologne! It's a small place in vintage-style with a very good atmosphere and mostly good music! The food changes but everything I had there was great! You can order from the breakfast menu until 3 o'clock! Very nice vegan egg for example. The cakes and muffins are wonderful too especially with their coffees and hot chocolates. The owner speaks English and is very open and friendly. Best place to eat!

Pros: 1 min. from the station "Köln Süd", serve gluten free, if You want, nice atmosphere and delicious food!

Cons: small menue

Great. - Edit

I used to go there once a week while living in Cologne and I really miss it. You never know what the menu will be like because (apart from standard dishes), the sorts of cake often change, sometimes you get (incredibly good) ice cream and sometimes you don't, from time to time you get croissants and so on. But they definitively have great coffee there, everything is fairly traded and organic, if possible. And of the many different cakes I've had there, there was exactly none which didn't taste absolutely delicious.
The staff is really friendly, but it depends on how much is going on there how fast they'll serve what you ordered.
The place is really cozy, but a bit dark though.

Pros: always great cakes, nice staff, fair trade, organic, renewable energy!

Great vegan restaurant! - Edit

I went to Signor Verde in July 2013 and I was super impressed by the healthy vegan options! The staff were friendly and helpful and the special scrambled tofu was awesome. I left with a cheap and super cone of vegan ice cream :)

Pros: Out door seating, Very vegan, Vegan ice cream :)

Great Döner! - Edit

Tasty food, especially the famous Döner (every thursday)!
I'm only in Cologne when I visit my family, so I don't go there often and haven't really, hm, "acclimatized" to the new place yet. I still miss the old one a bit.
But the owner is still very friendly and the food still good and everything, so I'll get used to it ;)
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 06, 2013

Pros: Friendly staff, Great food, Great coffee

Cons: Sometimes you wait a while, Menu not very extensive

Try it - Edit

After they moved the opening hours are finally more constant. Some dishes are too expensive in my opinion. You wait a long time even for a sandwich even if there is nobody else exept you (happens sometimes).

They don´t have a big choice of dishes but those they have are quite different and creative. You should try some of the dessert.

Pros: creative dishes, good located, vintage atmosphere inside

Cons: high price, long time waiting, few dishes to choose

Contributions +18

Colognes best cafe - Edit

I can really recommend this place. I have been here many times. The menu might not offer the greatest choice but everything is made freshly. Erik the owner is always creating new dishes and everything turns out really good. The new place is larger and very comfortable.

Pros: excellent food, good value

Very tasty vegan food - Edit

Nice relaxed atmosphere with a good selection of foods at decent prices. Friendly staff and comfortable seating. What more do you want? :-)

Pros: nice atmosphere, good tasting food, friendly staff

Great Little Vegan Cafe - Edit

I ate here in April 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed my vegan dinner. The waiters spoke English and the "dinner menu" seems to be a fixed selection set by the chef. Not a lot of menu choices but everything I was served was excellent. I enjoyed the vegan mozzarella panini as well.
Updated from previous review on Friday April 12, 2013

Pros: Quality, Vegan, Price

Cons: Modest Selection

friendly food! - Edit

What a nice place! The food is really good (had scrambled tofu w toast, soy latte and cake) and the owner and staff are super friendly.
Cozy atmosphere and a nice and diverse crowd make this a place I will always come back to. And they have a piano, which is always a plus! :-)

Pros: friendly staff, late breakfast, vegan cocktail nights

New place really cozy! - Edit

Signor Verde moved through November 2012. The new place is really cozy, quaint and rustic and looks like an old German pub/restaurant and it feels a bit like home :)
Heard that in summer there will be outside seating.
What changed is that they offer breakfast now. Also vegan beers and wine.
Main dish changes daily. Thursday remains Döner Kebab day. Desserts change daily and most of the time they're superdelicious!!

Pros: Staff really friendly!

Very nice place - Edit

There are places where you get in and immediately feel good. "Signor Verde" is one of these places. The people there receive you with such a smile, that you are happy even before you eat something.

Then you eat something, and get even happier. In my case the daily dish was a vegan goulash, exactly what I needed for my lunch.

And then you eat the deserts, and you get even happier. I tried the hot cacao, a fantastic cupcake with vanilla cream, and of course ice cream. I want to come back to Cologne even if only for these deserts.

Pros: Nice people, Excellent food, Great atmosphere

best vegan cafe - Edit

I went there a few weeks ago with some friends and had incredibly good tasting muffins and a chocolate macchiato. The owner and the staff are very friendly and you only find nice people there. However, don't be deterred to go there by some 'special' looking vegans as I call them- covered with tattoos, huge tunnels in their ears, sometimes gothic look. Without wanting to judge them- they're really nice- it at first kept me from entering because I thougth only those vegans would be in the cafe, but that's not the case.
I think it's the best if not only milk-free cafe in Cologne. :)

Pros: delicious, friendly staff

Wish I was living close by - Edit

I went there while I was visiting Cologne.
Great place, really cosy, great staff
Seriously insanely inexpensive
I had an unforgettable coconut lemon cake (that my mouth didn't forgot, though it was a month ago lol)
and a really tasty filling ice coffee.
Will definitely come back

Pros: so tasty, nice staff, great place

Cons: should be open everyday!

Awesome food and drinks - Edit

Signor Verde offers not only delicious food and drinks, but also a very nice atmosphere and a very nice owner, Erik. We absolutely love this place and eat there everytime we are in Cologne. If you just want a hot barista coffee or a snack or even a whole vegan meal - here you can find it. It always tastes really yummy.

Pros: yummy, vegan and organic, not expensive

Excellent! - Edit

This was a wonderful find - a completely vegan sandwich bar/cafe near the centre of Koln! many of the sandwiches included vegan cheese, which I'm not usually much of a fan of, but which was very good on this occasion; and the chai lattes and teas were also very good, and helped to relax us on an otherwise hectic weekend.

The atmosphere of the place is also to be recommended - I was a little concerned that it was completely empty when we turned up, but over the course of the hour and a bit that we sat there, the place filled up inside and out, and the staff were very friendly, explaining things in German and English.

Highly, highly recommended.

Best Vegan dairy Free Coffe Bar / Bistro in town - Edit

The best vegan cafe / Bar with lovely .. food and delicious Drinks / Smoothies ..
If you are in Cologne ..you have to visit Erik and the SIgnor Verde Cafe :)

Pros: green, yummy, Erik the Owner

Delicious!! - Edit

I've been there yesterday and I took as much as I could handle. It was "Doenerstag" so the special dish for this day was Kebap (of course vegan style, as everything in this local!). It was delicious!! (reminded me of a real Kebap). I ate also icecream (walnut) and two Muffins. I think altogether it was about 8,50€. Really cheap for such a great taste!! The atmosphere was by the way not that special, but whatever., it's well located (not that far away from colognes center)

So I recommend: If your in Cologne give it definitively a try.
5 cows

Pros: Taste!, Price, Specials

Cons: Atmosphere

Amazing! - Edit

Signor Verde is a MUST if you're a vegan in Cologne. I've lost track of how many times I've been there in the past couple of months -each time I visit Cologne from London I have to go here. Great atmosphere, very friendly guy and EXCELLENT food and drink. The 'heiße Schokolade' is amazing!

Pros: Great food and drink, Friendly owner, Nice and clean

Fantastic vegan place. - Edit

Signor Verde is not only a vegan coffee bar.

It had got amazing baguettes (try the hause baguette), a daily special (this time it was ciabatta with pesto, totatoes, fresh basil and vegan cheese--> really delicious!), hot-dog, some really nice cakes (we had a cherry-chocolate cake and an apple cake, both very nice).

We had a coffee and a hot chocolate "milk": the foam was shaped into a heart!

It's a cozy place, where you can relax after a busy day.

The owner is really friendly. He showed us a vegan shop in Cologne, where we bought some lovely vegan cheese.
We had a lovely talk about veganism and environmentalism.

We wish him all the best!

Pros: menu, location, owner

Cons: nothing

coffee, anyone? - Edit

My girlfriend and I went to get some coffee here. First thing we noticed when we arrived was that the whole menu is vegan which is really nice. You can drink different sorts of coffee (my girlfriend really liked the café latté for example) and there a small menu with ciabatta and other sandwiches on it. I had a piece of 'cheesecake' which was quite good. On our way out we grabbed a vegan 'magnum'-icecream, try if you see them!
The owner is really friendly, helpful and relaxed.
The only downside was that there were some items in the showcase that didn't look very fancy or makes your appitite grow huge. A cookie is not something I'd put in the showcase, I'd like to see it filled with cakes and pies. But than again, this is a minor detail.

Go there and enjoy your vegan cappuchino!

Pros: friendly staff!, all vegan!, good coffee!

Such as fantastic place with WONDERFUL FOOD !!! - Edit

Signor Verde is so much more than a Coffee Bar! That is an understatement! The Baguettes are incredible & we were there on Thursday when they do a special Vegan Donor in a delicious bread wrap. I had an Oatmilk Macchiato which was also outstanding. The place itself is very chill & with comfortable outdoor seating to enjoy the fresh air and views. Eric the owner really took care of us and customized our dishes so they wouldn't contain added fat. In the end, however, we were bad kids and sampled the Chocolate covered Rice Ice Cream on a stick :) It is apparently a must have so we indulged on 20 grams of fat and took a leisurely stroll back to the hotel through the beautiful city. We highly recommend you split one :) Signor Verde is a must visit and I would be a regular if I lived here. We had one of the most pleasurable experiences here in all of our travels. I can't think of another Vegan Coffee Bar, which makes this an extra special experience.

Pros: LOW PRICES!!!, Coffee & Baguettes, Specials & Ice cream Bar

Worth a visit - Edit

A very nice atmosphere and very clean inside and out.
Friendly service and delicious vegan snacks.
Loved the amount of foam in my coffee and especially enjoyed the vegan ice creams.
Before going to Starbucks (as what use to be the only place with soy milk) I would always walk the little bit extra for all the vegan options and friendly service.

the only vegan cafe in cologne! - Edit

'the green guy'is located in walking distance from the city centre and quickly became my refuge. its relaxing atmosphere benefits not only the student who prefers to read his books with a perfect latte macchiato close by, but also the hungry ones who crave for a sweet treat (cupcakes) or a hearty snack ('currywurst', here in its vegan disguise).
there are plenty non-diary alternatives to cow 'milk' like soy, soy-rice and oat. you can even enjoy your cake with cream(soy or rice)!
erik, the owner and barista, put emphasis on a vegan and eco-friendly paint-job and wooden furniture. he's always up for a nice chat or a comment on the daily newspaper-madness.

what a great place to be!

ps: great prices, especially for the caffeine-lovers!

Pros: friendly staff, great non-diary latte macchiato, yummy food

Return to Cologne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Signor Verde closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 13993 times since Jun 2009.