First Review by groovyvegan

Meh - Edit

Was alright. Service was friendly, food was fine, but portions were small.
Went by HC recommendations and I can only imagine that other reviewers have been deprived of awesome Thai food restaurants.

Pros: Service

Cons: Small portions

Pleasantly surprised! - Edit

After being left disappointed at another highly-rated restaurant in the area the night before, we had misgivings about coming to this place. Boy were we surprised! We shared a veggie tom kha, and I had the tofu/eggplant green curry. The soup was delicious—warming, fragrant, sweet and sour. Hit all the spots. The curry was also great. The consistency was just right, neither too thick nor loose. Regarding the other review claiming the eggplants were "shriveled" and "black", that's what happens when you deep-fry eggplants. It's a fairly common technique used to tackle this spongy "fruit" in Chinese cuisine as well to draw out the moisture and give it a firmer, meatier, more palatable texture, so it won't end up a bland sloppy mess in the final dish.

Staff was uber kind and friendly. You can feel they were trying their best to make sure everyone was taken well care of. Also there was an entire page full of veg*n options. All that said, décor was very basic with not much ambiance. Place was clean, just a little bit drab. But this was a nonissue for me.

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-23

Pros: great food, nice staff, vegan options

Cons: lacking décor

Best Place for Vegans in Southern Oregon - Edit

I kid you not. I have lived here since 1992. Siam Cafe has a whole menu full of options for vegans. This is our family's favorite restaurant and we have been coming here for years.

The food is exceptional and authentic Thai. Just let them know if you are a vegan or vegetarian and they are extraordinarily helpful.

The spring rolls are vegan, be sure to order them as an appetizer. Other favorites include the curry, pad thai, Kai Kua, many toful dishes, I could go on and on.

I am getting hungry writing for Thai just writing this.

Pros: Excellent Food, Excellent Service, Very Vegan and Vegetarian Friendly

Siam Cafe - Edit

Boo is the most delightful owner/hostess ever. She can have food serve to our linking. One time my son was saying that he likes this 'sauce'.I felt we finished talking and Boo appears at our table and we have this 'sauce' saying mix this and this. Beyond Amazing!

Vegetarian (vegan) YES! Explain to Boo what you would like or not like and you can have it !

Pros: Great Place!

we love this place! - Edit

We live in Medford and have eaten here for years. The owner, Boo, is delightful and always has a smile on her face. They have a large veg and vegan menu and you can order the meal as spicy as you like it. We always go for spicy! Since we live in an area that only has 1 veg/vegan restaurant, we have to find and support those restaurants that do serve a vegan option. Your meal is made up fresh after you order it and i've never been disappointed by the result. You can custom order your meal if you are allergic to anything...they are happy to accomodate. Check this place out if passing through or if you live in the Rogue Valley.

Pros: Great value, Very tasty, Friendly staff

Vegans be careful! - Edit

I'm pretty certain that although the owners claim vegan/vegetarian options, they use fish sauce in the curry dishes. I'm not sure that they fully understand vegetarian. So you're best bet is to not eat here.

Pros: Nice service

Cons: Pretty certain they use fish sauce, Pricey!

Sutteyo 28 Jun 2016 - Strongly disagree with this. When we became vegans, we reviewed everything with the owner Boo and made sure she understands. There is no fish sauce in the curry. They have many many vegan and vegetarian options and are more than happy to please. Prices are reasonable as well.

pretty bad - Edit

I hate to say it, but I thought this place was terrible. The service was ok, and the lady there was really nice, but the food was just bad. I really thought I was going to be sick when I left, luckily I wasn't.

I ordered pad thai with no eggs, but there were eggs in it, and I ate some before noticing. Which made me kind of mad.

Also got green curry, the eggplant in it was really bad, I dont know what they did to it, but it was shrived and completely black, and tasted rancid. I only figured out it was eggplant after dissecting some on my plate, and I am honestly not positive that it was. The only other vegetables in the curry were peas & carrots, that obviously just came from a freezer bag, and seemed out of place in green curry. I think I may have spotted a couple little wilted pieces of bell pepper too.

we also had the fried tofu appetizer, which was fine actually, but literally just fried tofu with some dipping sauce.

the other dish we had I thought was actually pretty good, it was a cashew broccoli dish.

The place didn't seem very clean, I dont think anything was fresh, and although I thought one of the dishes was ok I will never go to this place again.

I really am surprised I wasn't sick. Both the parking lot and inside were really poorly lit and shady too. Maybe to mask unknown terrors.

Anyway, I hate to write such a bad review, but I thought especially since the previous review was so positive I would try to save other vegans from the horror.

Pros: friendly service

Cons: dirty, tasted bad

Excellent vegan Thai food at a low price - Edit

A fellow vegan who is a Medford resident highly recommended this restaurant to me. I liked Siam Cafe so much that I had it added to Happy Cow. Since I don't have any tolerance for spice, I ordered the tofu yellow curry, which was delicious, and quite a bargain at $7.95 for a large enough portion to feed two people. (No dish on the vegetarian menu is more expensive than $7.95.) The menu description is, "Tofu, potatoes, broccoli & carrots cooked in a green curry paste with coconut milk. Served with rice."

Speaking of rice, the owner told me that if you request brown rice, they will serve brown rice, even though it's not on the menu. Otherwise, they will provide white rice by default. The owner was nice as could be, and told me that although the vegetables are not organic, the tofu is. The owner also told me that most of the non-vegan items on the vegetarian items can be made vegan. For example, upon request, they will leave the eggs out of the pad thai.

My vegan friend, who likes her food moderately spicy, highly recommends the tofu green curry or the vegetables red curry with tofu. She says, however, that if you don't specify a spice level, the restaurant will keep it mild.

My omni partner loved his pa-nang curry, which although not on the vegetarian menu, appeared to be vegan since he chose it with tofu instead of one of the five meat options. The description is, "peas, carrots, bell peppers & kaffir leaves cooked in a red thick curry paste and coconut milk." He ordered this very spicy.

Although Siam Cafe is in downtown Medford, they have their own parking lot.

I highly recommend Siam cafe to veg*ns and Thai food lovers alike: excellent food at a low price, great service, and a separate vegetarian menu where one can easily tell what is vegan and what is not. I would have given this place 5 stars, but the maximum rating for a non-vegetarian restaurant is 4 stars.

Pros: Delicious thai food at a low price, 19-item vegetarian menu, Excellent friendly service

Cons: Not 100% vegetarian, Not organic except the tofu, Brown rice option not on the menu

Return to Medford Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Siam Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.